Listen to scanner and ipod at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubhouse

Hi everyone. I'm working on a small hardware audio switch to allow me to listen to both my scanner and ipod at the same time. The box intelligently switches from the ipod input to the scanner input depending on if there is activity on the scanner. The setup in my car works like so : scanner plugs into the master input and the ipod plugs into the slave input, my cassette adapter plugs into the output. Normally i only hear the ipod, but as soon as a call comes in over the scanner the ipod is silences and the scanner is patched through. The ipod is switched back about a .5 seconds after the scanners last audible signal.

I've been using it for a week now and it works quite well.

My question is : would anyone be interested in a device that does this and what price would be willing to pay for it ?

Also, this device is not limited to just an ipod and scanner, it will work with any combination of analog audio inputs.

thanks,
-tavis

musicman

Mixing the Audio

Another approach to the "too much audio" problem is a mixer that would allow the scanner (or two-way radio, or CB, etc.) to talk over the music source. There are two such headphone mixers aimed at motorcycle riders. At least one of them allows for audio muting when a signal is present at another input. They are pricey, so I have not tried them.

http://www.mixitproducts.com/

http://www.tesseractcorp.com/

Now, we have this:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/belkin-rockstar/

Supposedly available in March, this product apparently will allow multiple inputs to multiple headphone jacks. It appears to be mainly designed to allow several headphones to be driven from one source, but it sounds as though multiple inputs are possible. For $20. At that price, I will check it out.

Last edited:

Bentley

Nice find musicman! Will the belkin one work with only ipods/iphones ... or do you think it will work with a scanner? For $20 I will definitley be getting that once it comes out...supposedly in march according to that link.

Thanks!

dubhouse

nmize said:
can you post a photo of this device.

It's just a prototype at this time, but here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• iswitch_prototype.JPG
    iswitch_prototype.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 574

jonny290

Neat trick. 4066 switch?

I've been playing with schematics for audio mixers and routers lately, it's pretty interesting. learned a lot so far.

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
i would pay money for that for sure :) that is just what ive been lookin for. i could even use it on both of my scanners and just make the one i want to listen to most the priority.

bmacc

Wow that's really cool! :)
I would think about maybe buying one.

Does it require DC power from the cigarette lighter??

Viper43

I'm looking for a portable device to use two scanners and one headphone set for when I shoot the Indy 500 & Brickyard 400 and other races. I like having the cars on one scanner and race control & safety & security on the other.
But $170+ isn't reasonable.....

V

musicman

When I go to NASCAR races, I use one scanner for the broadcast audio and one for the drivers that I am following. I mix them directly with a Y-connector and a plug-to-plug patch cord. Works pretty well, but there is some reduction in volume when both scanner outputs are joined together.

The available commercial solutions appear to be the motorcycle mix boxes that I listed above (both available here- http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=431 ) or a pilot intercom type rig. All very pricey. All making dubhouse's device a very viable alternative, since it would doubtless sell for much less.

dubhouse

bmacc said:
Wow that's really cool! :)
I would think about maybe buying one.

Does it require DC power from the cigarette lighter??

This device is so incredibly low power it has been running continuously for over a week on that single button battery seen in the picture. So, no, it does not require external dc power.

Yes, this device would be much lower cost than the high end motorcycle mixers. As of now the parts alone cost less than $10.

I'll definitely be needing some beta testers so I'll private message you guys about getting you a unit once I have a few more made.

dubhouse

sjcscanner said:
i would pay money for that for sure :) that is just what ive been lookin for. i could even use it on both of my scanners and just make the one i want to listen to most the priority.

What do you listen to that requires two scanners ? Digital / Analog or something ?

bmacc

dubhouse said:
What do you listen to that requires two scanners ? Digital / Analog or something ?

One example might be that, say, you want to listen to two TGIDS on a single trunked system, but you can only 'hold' one ID at a time (like the Pro-97). If you are listening to, for example, City X Police Dispatch TGID on scanner 1, but you also want to listen specifically to City X Fire Dispatch as well, you would need to set your second scanner to hold on the fire dispatch TGID... that's an example that I can come up with that requires 2 scanners.

Viper43

dubhouse said:
In my case I am a freelance sports photographer (sometimes news too) and I shoot the entire Month of May at Indy plus the Brickyard 400 and a lot of local racing. I use two scanners, one for the cars and one for security, track safety crews, scoring & timing and EMS. Most days at the track start at 8am and go to 5pm. I also carry a spare scanner in case one croaks (which has happened). I don't have a lot of room for more stuff between the 3 scanners, two large heavy cameras, extra batteries, drinks and so forth that I carry around. On pit road it's even tougher due to the small area for shooting due to the number of people so a small device such as this may do the trick :)

V

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
dubhouse said:

no, i just like to keep my frequencies seperated between police and fire. I would like to keep tabs more on the fire side, so i would put that scanner on the "priority" side of the headphone jack.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Bentley said:
I'd be willing to bet the motorcycle mixers have only $10 in parts also...markup markup markup!
The components could be had for far less than that. But to obtain the circuit board & case for a low cost, 100s or 1000s must be produced. Circuit boards that size are cheap. But molds for injection molded cases start at $10K if they have no complexities.

As far as the device itself is concerned, here are some more thoughts:
- Many people here would use it for 2 or 3 scanners (if a 3rd connection was provided)
- There should also me a "mix" adjustment so that the user can have the background source mixed in under the priority source.
- Does it really need its own battery? If so how about something rechargable, then it can be recharged at night along with the scanners. Or how about a power jack to power from a car or adapter?

dubhouse

gmclam said:
As far as the device itself is concerned, here are some more thoughts:
- Many people here would use it for 2 or 3 scanners (if a 3rd connection was provided)
- There should also me a "mix" adjustment so that the user can have the background source mixed in under the priority source.
- Does it really need its own battery? If so how about something rechargable, then it can be recharged at night along with the scanners. Or how about a power jack to power from a car or adapter?

A third input could be an option but would require a larger analog switch.

Doing soft mixing would require more and expensive parts, I doubt I'll be making a soft mix version unless this product takes off like wild fire and customers demand it. I am considering a button for selecting operating modes. Examples of modes would be to mix the two audio sources rather than turn one off and one on during activity, switch master / slave selection, etc.

The power jack is an idea, but keep in mind, this device uses a similar amount of power as does a wristwatch. That battery shown in the picture should run this device continuously for months at a time, if not a full year. Adding a power jack would increase the spaghetti mess of wires that already exists.

Attached is the PCB version I just assembed. It doesn't quite work yet though, I think I need to adjust the code for crosswired pins.

Attachments

• iswitch_pcb.jpg
    iswitch_pcb.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Viper43

gmclam said:
The components could be had for far less than that. But to obtain the circuit board & case for a low cost, 100s or 1000s must be produced. Circuit boards that size are cheap. But molds for injection molded cases start at $10K if they have no complexities.

Plastic cases can be had from a lot of places for $1 or under in quantity online from electronics dealers, for around $5-$6 in parts you could sell them for $20 and make money, the problem is getting the parts that cheap means a hefty layout up front and buying in quantity. The problem is many places want minimum orders of $1000 to $1500 per order.
I'm in the process of working on a project as well (not like this one) and thats where I am running into issues....

V

Status
Not open for further replies.