Snap-On Ferrite Beads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8DV

Yes, I have them on all my transmission lines. They keep rf from traveling on the outside of coax cable.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Great!
That what it says they do but I like hearing the real world experieces like yours. Have you noticed a difference RX/TX or RFI wise with/without them?

Manny

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Real world experience; sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes nothing works, that's the real world.

trooperdude

Database Admin
I use them on all of my computer equipment in the shack (7 systems and
a large KVM), and all cables including coax.

Seems to work quite well for me.

I had an RF issue with monitor cables before I deployed them.

I got mine at Halted. http://www.halted.com/

I also used spray on case shield for a large crt gaming monitor, and shielded serial cables for my remote scanners.

Last edited:

Thayne

A lot of cords of various types, (Power, Data) come with them installed already, so they must help filter out various types of hash or spurious stuff.

nd5y

Ferrite beads are made with different ferrite "mixes" for different frequency ranges, etc.
If you don't know what you are doing or what mix what you are buying you will just be wasting money.

N8DV

Basically, the snap on ferrite beads are called toroids. They come in all sizes. You can buy the rings and wrap several turns of coax (if the cable is flexible enough) around one of these cores and presto! make your self a small transformer to cut down rf on coax. Or you can use the snap on cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.