What is "front end"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2mdk

To keep this simple the front end is really the antenna and first stage of signal detection and amplification.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
n2mdk said:
To keep this simple the front end is really the antenna and first stage of signal detection and amplification.
I've never heard that an antenna is part of a front end. The front end is the FIRST stage of a receiver, the electronics portion.

Just_Me

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would say that normally it is considered to be all the passive and active electronics in the receiver up to and including the first active stage.

But that is just a guess.

kb2vxa

Banned
No, just the RF amplifier and first mixer stage. The RF amp is the first active stage so you must be thinking of the first IF amplifier, they're all active stages all the way to the loudspeaker. You're confusing stages with components, some of those are active (transistors) while others are passive (resistors, capacitors, etc.).

Pretty good for just a guess, you're learning.

Just_Me

Banned
kb2vxa said:
No, just the RF amplifier and first mixer stage. The RF amp is the first active stage so you must be thinking of the first IF amplifier, they're all active stages all the way to the loudspeaker. You're confusing stages with components, some of those are active (transistors) while others are passive (resistors, capacitors, etc.).

Pretty good for just a guess, you're learning.

No, I meant what I said. Maybe I was not clear.

"normally it is considered to be all the passive and active electronics (components) in the receiver (from the antenna port) up to and including the first active stage (stage with gain)."

It would include active components before the first amplification such as electronically tunable capacitors, and such, but would not include anything after the first amplifying stage (even if the gain is effectively null, and is used for isolation or impedance matching).

Guess I need to learn to use more words to make myself clearly understood.

I am wondering if it is a "term of art" that is less than rigorously defined?

Last edited:

n2mdk

gmclam said:
I've never heard that an antenna is part of a front end. The front end is the FIRST stage of a receiver, the electronics portion.

The reason I include the antenna is that is where the signal starts it's journey into the radio.
I had an old RS the Pro-2011 I think it was that had it's front end overloaded with anything other than an unbent paper clip in as the antenna. This scanner was used for years in my kitchen in Forest Hills on NYPD frequencies. It was finally replaced by an AR900.

ScanDaBands

Banned
kb2vxa said:
The front end is where the signals go in. DUH?

laughing.gif

austinscan1

Impressive front end

Think Scarlett Johannsen!!! p.s. forgive the spelling, if I'm wrong.

edmondcops

Let's not forget Nicole Richie, Lindsey Lohan, Brittney Spears and Paris Hilton.

On second thought, take that back. Let's forget all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.