WAV to MP3 program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DELCOLHFC

Hello all,
I know I have seen this discussed here berfore but I haven't had any luck trying to search for it. I am looking for a (hopefully FREE) program to convert WAV format audio files to MP3 format. I record a lot of area Fire/Rescue operations using Xcorder that creates WAV files and I would like to convert them to MP3 to be able to listen via a MP3 player when time permits (at work). It's not always possible to make the time to listen to the files at home on the computer with family activities having the priority. I know there are several options out there and I am curious as to what the members here use and have had good results with.
Thanks in advance, these Forums are the greatest resourse on the web for radio/scanner related info.
Tom

mhoward785

iTunes can do this as well. You can download iTunes for free if you don't have it already: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.

Here are the directions to convert a file (from the iTunes Help file):

To convert a song's file format:
- Choose Edit > Preferences, click Advanced, and then click Importing.
- In the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the format you want to convert the song to, and then click OK to save the settings.
- Select one or more songs in your library, and then choose Advanced > "Convert Selection to...."
- To convert all the songs in a folder or on a disk, hold down the Shift key and choose Advanced > "Convert Selection to," then choose the folder or disk containing the songs you want to convert.

Good luck!

mcema699

Google is indeed your friend. NCH has a nice suite of programs for free.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Audacity works for me. I personally would stay away from iTunes if you can, in my experience it is a resource hog.

pogbobo

another vote for audacity ... and i'll admit that i'm the first person to pitch google, but in this case if you google 'wav to mp3' you get sooooo much crap haha ... i dont blame the man for asking for opinions ...... :)

DELCOLHFC

I knew I could count on you guys!

Thanks for all the replys guys! I did go the google route, but as mentioned there is a lot of stuff to sift through. Thats why I asked here for this community's input and advice, most of you are far more knowledgeable in such matters then I will ever be. Now I just have to make the time to look into eveything suggested and see what works best for me, hopefully others will also benifit from this. Thanks again to all.
Tom

n2mdk

Go with Audacity if you don't have the lame encoder download it from them as well. You can't go wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.