The Switch To Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drock2

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a Radio Shack Pro-97 about 2 years ago and I love it. Recently I heard, in 2009, many stations will switch over to broadcasting digitally. I'm concerned that my scanner will become worthless. Is this a valid concern, should I just sell it now? When this switch to digital occurs, do you think digital scanners will drop alot in price? Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Bucko

Welcome drock2
Your 97 is a fine scanner and there always be conventional things to listen to so it won't be worthless, as for public safety there is always that possibility of digital systems or systems that no scanner can receive. In my area there are still a lot of conventional public safety however there are a lot agencies moving to the state of Ohio's MARCS system. As for a drop in price I doubt if you will see that happen any time real soon ( not unless there is a sale or close out on certain models). I am sure more experienced members can give you a better look at things.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
drock2 said:
I purchased a Radio Shack Pro-97 about 2 years ago and I love it. Recently I heard, in 2009, many stations will switch over to broadcasting digitally. I'm concerned that my scanner will become worthless. Is this a valid concern, should I just sell it now? When this switch to digital occurs, do you think digital scanners will drop alot in price? Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

This 2009 switch you are hearing of is in regard to TV. It really has nothing to do with listening to your scanner. Your PRO-97 will never be completely useless, but if/when public safety agencies in your area switch to APCO-25 digital systems, you will need a digital scanner to listen to them. Even if public safety goes digital in your area, there are still many other things you can listen to without a digital scanner.

Last edited:

drock2

Premium Subscriber
Raven95150 said:
This 2009 switch you are hearing of is in regard to TV. It really has nothing to do with listening to your scanner. Your PRO-97 will never be completely useless, but if/when public safety agencies in your area switch to APCO-25 digital systems, you will need a digital scanner to listen to them. Even if public safety goes digital in your area, there are still many other things you can listen to without a digital scanner.

I specifically heard public safety would be switching over to digital, not just TV broadcasting. I guess a digital switch in public safety would be more gradual, unlike the immediate TV switch. But if one town changed to digital wouldn't the surrounds areas need to switch as well, in order to communicate.

hoser147

The changeover is in the works and many agencies have the MARCs system. But there is nothing written in stone as to anybody that is required to totally switch to MARCs. Some agencies like state agencies are moved over to the system, some local areas and agencies are also changed over. Other agencies may only get a radio or 2 to use for Interops. This is the 3rd year that Ive monitored the system and it keeps getting more busy. Alot of agencies will do a full change over as they get grants from Homeland Sec. Hope this helps to answer your question..Good Scannin Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.