Poll: Scanner Memory Management

What is your preferred method of scanner memory management?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
With the recent introduction of the GRE scanners, I was wondering how people view the types of scanner memory management we have available to us now? We have the traditional channel/bank, Uniden's Dynamic Memory Architecture (DMA), and GRE's Object Oriented User Interface (OOUI). I didn't include the GRE V-scanner method, as that is used as an add-on to the traditional channel/bank and OOUI methods, and does not represent the main memory management tool. I think most of us are of the opinion that the V-scanner tool is a good thing to have at our disposal.

The above being said, I thought maybe a poll would be a good way to test people's opinion on this subject. This is geared towards those of us that have actually used all of these methods and can thus form a first-hand opinion. I know there are some who may not have had the opportunity to try DMA and/or OOUI. Therefore, I did not offer a selection for those that haven't experienced all three methods (such as "I can't really say as I haven't used all of them"). They can always vote at a later time if/when they have the experience to form an opinion. So what say ye?

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I will kick this off. I prefer the Uniden DMA method for my scanning. I just find it is more flexible and easier to organize for what I chose to monitor.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Having used all 3, I am really liking GRE's OO model. But for organizational purposes...If GRE could keep the existing OO model and mapping to scanlists - but introduce a "scanlist" and "sub-scanlist" feature that parallels Unidens "systems" and "groups", then I think we'd have the best of both worlds.

I'm still deciding if 20 top-level scanlists is good enough to divvy up everything I listen to. The organizational features of systems and groups is really handy.

Smerri

I have only used the Radio Shack and Uniden models, and while I don't dislike the banks, I just really like the Uniden DMA system. That gets my /vote.

br0adband

Ever since my "three days in DMA Hell" when I got my first 246T, and I nearly tossed it across the room trying to break my decades old habit of bank-style memory management, and then that epiphany moment when it all became clear, I have to say I think it's definitely one of the 5 most important things that ever happened to our hobby of monitoring. Trunk-tracking, digitally programmable (not digital reception; I mean being able to punch in a direct frequency using a numeric keypad), etc... and DMA is right up there with 'em.

I haven't had the opportunity to try out GRE's object oriented system just yet, perhaps someday I will. I've gone through the manual for the PSR-500 several times and caught things I thought might be very beneficial, but you have to give it to Uniden: they pretty much invented the things, and DMA was a very significant and very positive change to this hobby and should be noted as such.

hoser147

You really cant use the poll for any data purpose due to the fact that most people havent used the different methods of programing. With that said it is more of a vanity poll........Hoser

John_M

Performance is first and memory management second. I don't care if everything goes back to banks as long as it performs. GRE / RS has my vote.

pogbobo

like hoser said my vote really isnt worth much since i haven't yet used the oo stuff yet ... but, I do have a bct15 and dma is going to be hard to beat in my book, but if i ever bite the bullet on a psr5/600 we'll see ... dma! dma! :woot:

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
hoser147 said:
You really cant use the poll for any data purpose due to the fact that most people havent used the different methods of programing. With that said it is more of a vanity poll........Hoser

No vanity here. The real purpose is not to gain hard data, at least in the sense that it is collected for any real purpose other than casual curiosity. I think a large number of people have utilized the DMA process, starting with the BC246T and upwards. However, it is a given that since the GRE models are very new, they have not been tested by a large number. And, since the poll is set up for an indefinite run, people are free to vote today, next week, next month, next year. As time passes more and more will have the opportunity to "play" with the new GRE models.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
As it stands now, I prefer the Uniden DMA method. There is room for improvement in the OOI of GRE and if they can give me the better subdivide the systems, I could very easily be swayed.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
pogbobo said:
like hoser said my vote really isnt worth much since i haven't yet used the oo stuff yet ... but, I do have a bct15 and dma is going to be hard to beat in my book, but if i ever bite the bullet on a psr5/600 we'll see ... dma! dma! :woot:

That is exactly why the poll is set for an indefinite time frame - so those that get to use the GRE's later can still come back and cast a vote if they so choose. And of course there will be those that never do try the GRE scanners. Thats ok too. I only posted the poll out of idle curiousity, not to gather any scientific data.

I totally agree with your comments on DMA. My personal choice in a scanner would one using Uniden's DMA, but with GRE's digital decoding.

Status
Not open for further replies.