Icom R8500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attackron

i can get an unblocked icom r8500 new in the box for $1700.00
what makes the icom 8500 so much better then a $500 uniden 996t. ( other then more freqs)

I guess what im asking is does this thing receive so much better/further or something....

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You're not comparing apples for apples, as they are two totally different types of receivers. The ICOM IC-R8500 is not a good choice for scanning, it is a communication receiver. The Icom will not do Trunk-Tracking (on it's own), and it will not work with P25 digital.

Last edited:

Soakers

With a good quality antenna, and knowing what you want to listen to, the ICOM is great. It won't scan as efficiently as a dedicated scanner, but the front end is very sensitive.

I have an old ICOM 7100 with a homemade disposable antenna and the thing is a pleasure to search around and hand dial. I've caught repeater traffic and public works stuff over 100 miles away!!

Having a dedicated scanner is still a good idea, depending on your needs and location. Having said that, I haven't used my scanner in over a year, the ICOM is my goto, because I'm in a small town, like to monitor just a few stations or search for the nuggets, or park on a freq. and wait for specific action.

Mine has no trunking, and that eliminates the State Police.
If the 8500 has trunking capabilities (others know more than I) I'd say go for it, if the price don't matter. It'll be a very good receiver.

Soakers

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You might try Googling the two receivers and see what the specs and features are. There's a wealth of information out there that will point out in great detail what the differences are.

Status
Not open for further replies.