5.8 GHZ phone vs 2.4 GHZ phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

I swear I seen 2.4 GHZ capable scanners before, but have they made 5.4 GHZ capable scanners yet?

I have a 2.4GHZ phone and a 5.8GHZ phone, and I'm curious, how much better my security really is, if I use the 5.8 instead of 2.4.

Also, is it true that many 2.4's don't actually have scramblers? If so, why not? Do most 5.8's have a scrambler?

nd5y

No, some 2.4 and 5.8 GHz phones have either the base or handset on 900 MHz FM.
If you wan't something that nobody can listen to with an ordinary scanner or general coverage receiver you need to verify what frequencies and modes the phone actually uses before you buy it.

richster

Hi RedPenguin,

It's not imaging you're listening to but more than likely a dualband 5.8 Ghz phone.

Read this thread on that very topic and how insecure 5.8Ghz phones can be.

You will be surprised to know that many 5.8Ghz handsets transmit in the 900Mhz.

Regards,
Richster.

richster

nd5y said:
No, some 2.4 and 5.8 GHz phones have either the base or handset on 900 MHz FM.
If you wan't something that nobody can listen to with an ordinary scanner or general coverage receiver you need to verify what frequencies and modes the phone actually uses before you buy it.

Very sound advice!

Although I haven't had a chance to play with a DECT 6.0 phone yet, I think this would be you're best choice to avoid listeners.

Regards,
Richster.

RedPenguin

Damn

Damn, you gotta be kidding me, I actually picked my 5.8GHZ Sylvania Phone STC590, on 900MHZ Ch. 26.

That's bull. I hate how the say their are 5.8GHZ, making it sound like full 5.8GHZ. Thank goodness I got this phone for free and didn't have to pay for it. I'm glad I never say anything person on a cordless phone.

Concrete1

Just make sure you get a spread spectrum Digital transmission cordless phone, & it won't matter what band it's on ..
They don't transmit analog voice signals that a scanner can pick up ( or P25 signals either), & they dont use the same frequency/channel bandwith limitations the scannermust tune to either.

RedPenguin

Oh

Concrete1 said:
Just make sure you get a spread spectrum Digital transmission cordless phone, & it won't matter what band it's on ..
They don't transmit analog voice signals that a scanner can pick up ( or P25 signals either), & they dont use the same frequency/channel bandwith limitations the scannermust tune to either.
Just a question about the your last comment about the limitations of the scanner must tune to, does this probably not follow on some scanners such as the BCT15 and BR330T? I know that you still couldn't pick up this signals but I just know that those two scanners, can change steps that are not default for a certain band. That's why I like and appreciate the BCT15 and BR330T. Even though I think the BR330T is way nicer than the BCT15, but the BCT15 can go in a car, so it's still nice.

fnnm1062

longtime member
actually if you want a phone that cannot be picked up scanners, i believe a wall plug corded phone is what you would be looking for

RedPenguin

Yes

RHFD910 said:
actually if you want a phone that cannot be picked up scanners, i believe a wall plug corded phone is what you would be looking for

Yes, I know this, but I just find it annoying that it's that damn easy to be picked up, LoL.

Though, it's neat somewhat of how easy it is to be picked up, I mean like Close Call for finding frequencies of two-way radio agencies that you can't find on the FCC or anywhere else. LoL.

Status
Not open for further replies.