RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 1:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I enjoy AM DXing, I work in Pittsburgh, from that area but live in Eastern Ohio. I like to AM DX in the way home from work. BTW, during the eclipse, there is a chance for AM DX as well.
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2017, 3:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
it needs tubes any info on how to find some would help
Join "Antique Radio Forum" - they have ads for tubes down the side of the web page - you could also ask about your Zenith model number.
Old 08-12-2017, 3:50 PM

I wasn't complaining. It was kind of a surprise! Heck, I did a lot of broadcast band DX back in the 70's(when clear channels were really CLEAR channels). After 43 states and over 1100 stations logged my interest turned to shortwave.
Waking up early before school and listening to KFI 640(clear channel) Los Angeles was always fun from here in Michigan.
Once in a while KNBR 680 San Francisco would come in,too!

Happy DXing
Jim

P.S. Radio Reference should eliminate the spellcheck fault for the word DXing
Old 08-12-2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a29zuk View Post
Once in a while KNBR 680 San Francisco would come in,too!
I grew up about 60 miles south of San Francisco. Back in the 1970's, KNBR was one of THE big stations that we listened to. Back then it was talk, music, etc. In fact, I remember one year turning 7 or 8, on my birthday. Back then the morning DJ's (Mike Cleary and Frank Dill) would announce birthdays. My mom let me sit out in the car outside the school waiting for my name to be said on the radio, then go into school a few minutes late. I still remember that today.

Of course KGO 810KHz was, is and always has been the big power house clear channel station here. 50,000 watts with an excellent antenna location on the mud flats on the bay. Antenna pattern pointed north/south, so could be heard up into Canada/Alaska and down into Mexico. When I was in my 20's, I was in the Coast Guard and stationed on a ship based out of Kodiak Alaska. While on in-port watch, I'd often sit up on the bridge at nights using the RDF receiver to listen in on KGO. The needle would point the way "home". Late at night, aurora borealis streaming overhead, bridge to myself, listening to news, traffic and commercials from home, all familiar voices.

Another long time favorite that comes in here at night is 660AM, KTNN, "Voice of the Navajo Nation" out of Window Rock Arizona. That's sort of my test to let me know when the AM DX is good. I've spent a lot of time listening to 660. Sometimes it's all done in the Navajo language, but mostly in English.

1000KHz, KOMO out of Seattle is the other strong DX station. Spent some time in Seattle and it's always good to hear the weather reports from up there. I still miss my time in Seattle, so it's a good feeling to listen to KOMO.
Old 08-12-2017, 5:47 PM

1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake took down KGO for a couple of hours/days due to power outages and damaged antennas. I remember taking that opportunity to see what else I could pick up on 810KHz. I don't recall anything specific, but it was making the best of an awful situation. After a bit, they got the generators running and switched around the damaged antenna and were back on the air. From that time on for a few days, KGO was all we listened to as they had the most reliable news about damage, aftershocks, and worse. While the station ownership has changed and they unceremoniously dumped most of the good on air personality, it's still a useful source.
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2017, 6:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

When I was a kid in sleep away camp in the Poconos, I used to listen to my portable AM radio at night before going to sleep. I remember listenint to baseball games from Atlanta, Cleveland, Boston and several other cities that I can't recall.