Why use so many scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BhmJeep

I have noticed in pictures that a lot of folks have lots and lots of scanners going. Like six of the exact same model.

Why?

M

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.610 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Because say you have cities 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. And we will say 4, 5, 6 are on a digital system. These people want to be able to monitor say FD and PD of these cities all at the same time. You can monitor more things simultaneously if you have multiple scanners.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have noticed in pictures that a lot of folks have lots and lots of scanners going. Like six of the exact same model.

Why?

M

NEED...MORE...SCANNERS!:twisted: Must have....more!:(:(
N9ZAS

holmdt

I can only keep track of what is going on just with one scanner.
my head would explode if I tried to listen to all mine and I have
1,000 if you do not count the trunk system.

gewecke

Banned
I separate all 8 speakers,and equalize volume levels. It makes it much easier!
N9ZAS

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.610 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

gewecke said:

Why?

M

NEED...MORE...SCANNERS!:twisted: Must have....more!:(:(
N9ZAS

I'm with you on this. It made me laugh.

You get used to just listening for specific keywords, there's no need to listen to every license plate being cleared. That's how they run multiple scanners, they aren't listening to every word.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I mostly run multiple scanners simultaneously because of the way trunking works. With only conventional channels, when the scanner gets to an active channel it will stop even in the middle of a conversation. But in the case of trunking, data is typically only sent for a channel once. If the scanner is monitoring something other than the control channel when that data is sent, it will not know where the conversation is and you miss it.

Another issue is the specific frequencies being used. Trunked systems in my area (that I want to monitor) are on the 800 MHz band. Most other stuff I want to monitor is VHF. So by dedicating a scanner for trunking, it can also have a dedicated 800 MHz antenna. It makes for better reception, and more reception, especially from the local TRSs.

gewecke

Banned
It's easy for me because because I only have 2 -4 talkgroups for this area!
N9ZAS

K4APR

Why?

M

In some case, two, maybe even three make sense. Mostly the reasons already given ie. dedicated antennas for certain bands, conventional vs. trunking, ect. Once you get over three, it just starts to get a little crazy.

I am NOT labeling a group, but I also think there are people on here that like to show off. As though they have entered into some higher place in life because they own 4+ $500 scanners and stack them nice and neat.

Don't take the above statement as jealousy. I am far from that. I own plenty of scanners and amateur equipment myself to go around, but just because I do, it doesn't mean I am better than anyone else.

When it comes down to it in REAL life, who cares?

Just my $0.02

mciupa

Why?

M

Let's put it this way, it's like being married and having five other women 'on the side'. :D

Why not? :twisted:

911scanner

I won't talk about anyone else, so I'll just talk about my own experience.

I have 3 digital scanners, working on the 4th. The reason I have more than one scanner are many. Here's a few of the main reasons.

1. Listening to different systems quicker (one scanner scrolling through 250-500 channels means I can miss a lot)

2. When a major event happens, there might be multiple channels in use at the same time for the same event. My Uniden 296 & 396T's only allow me to listen to one TG at one time.

3. I am able to loan a scanner to a friend that might want to get into the hobby, without cutting myself out of being able to listen.

4. So I can provide a scanner feed to RR.com :)

MM

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
As you get used to it and more into it, you will know ;-)

I'm sitting here with an HF rig, a VHF/UHF rig, music playing and a scanner going all at once, through a Roland 10ch compact mixer and listening in headphones. I'd have another scanner too, but I dedicated that one to RR feeds ;-).

Roland U.S. - M-10MX: 10-Channel Battery-Powered Mixer

This is the best piece of gear I've added in a long time. Mixes all my radios down to a pair of Bose Mediamate speakers. Decent isolation on all the inputs as it is tossed just a few feet from a kW HF amp and other transmitters and have no trouble with it.

holmdt

all I know is I have trouble listening to one and trying to read the board. I always
end up turning the volume down tell I'm done reading.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Because only one fits in my pocket protector?

Because I have a McDonald's and Wendy's just down the street, and I have to hear both drive-thru's?

slicerwizard

IBut in the case of trunking, data is typically only sent for a channel once. If the scanner is monitoring something other than the control channel when that data is sent, it will not know where the conversation is and you miss it.
That is completely false. You might want to look into late entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.