Air Open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepura

Premium Subscriber
It seems on some radio system the dispatcher is able to control the hangtime. How does this work? Thanks

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
What you are probably referring to is resumption of usual radio traffic after "air closed," which limited communications to an emergency situation.

sepura

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply but no... A unit will call it, the repeater activaes... dispatcher will talk let go of the button the repeater will stay on for sometimes, 20 seconds, I've heard it as long as a minute.... then after the dispatcher says something the repeater shuts off. So it seems they are able to control the repeater being in transmit mode... does this make sense? I think the City of New York can do this too with their radio systems...

dwh367

Thanks for the reply but no... A unit will call it, the repeater activaes... dispatcher will talk let go of the button the repeater will stay on for sometimes, 20 seconds, I've heard it as long as a minute.... then after the dispatcher says something the repeater shuts off. So it seems they are able to control the repeater being in transmit mode... does this make sense? I think the City of New York can do this too with their radio systems...

Sounds like what it is called a "base relay". The Evansville, IN, police department used a similar system, like you are referring to, many a moon ago on their old VHF system. The dispatchers could also choose not to have the mobile traffic repeated if desired. When the carrier was dropped, it would drop normally for the patrol dispatcher and "double key" when it dropped for the records dispatcher. Vectren (power/gas company in my area) also used a similar system on their old VHF frequencies up until a year or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.