Mobile scanners, ham radios, and damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padovani

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but the search function is inoperative at the moment.

I was planning to put a mobile scanner in my vehicle, which also contains a VHF/UHF dual bander and an HF radio. In discussing this with another ham, he mentioned that he once had a mobile scanner as well. Seems that all was good until one day when he turned the mobile VHF radio to full power (40 watts, IIRC) and it blew the frontend on the Radio Shack scanner (model unknown.)

Antennas were approximately 5' apart (this was on a Suburban), the VHF close to the front and the scanner antenna toward the rear.

Is this a common problem? Can it be avoided in any way, or do wideband scanners and powerful transceivers just not play well together? Are some brands/models more robust than others?

Fast1eddie

My thinking is that low quality components are used to keep manufacturing costs down since it is a consumer unit. Upgrading components would add to the manufacturing cost, resulting in higher retail costs and less profit. More than likely it is a front end protection diode or other sensitive RF component. Should be a easy fix.

Other than not installing it, and utilizing good installation practices if you decide to proceed, I would not transmit while the scanner is going. Really, how can one truly pay attention to traffic and road conditions while working the radios????

Just wonderin'.

sfd119

I've got a 50W Motorola XTL-2500 that I transmit on a lot while both scanners are running. Not once have I had a problem.

jmp883

I have a Yaesu FT-7800 transceiver and a Bearcat BCT-15 scanner mounted in the center console of my 1996 Ford Explorer. Whenever I'm in the truck both radios are on. When I'm transmitting with the 7800 I'm often using 50W. I also turn the volume of the scanner down when I'm using the 7800 but I never shut it off.

The 7800's antenna is bracket-mounted underneath the tailgate on the upper rear passenger side if the truck. The scanner antenna is a magnet-mount placed in the center of the roof.

For power the 7800 is wired directly to the battery with in-line fuses in both the positive and negative lines. The scanner is wired to the fuse box to an unswitched fuse. I've never had any power issues, or radio failures, with either radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.