Scannermaster Questionable At Best

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidgee

Let me relate a personal encounter I recently had with Scannermaster and let you, the reader, be the judge of how both they, and I, handled the situation.

I received a BCD396XT as a birthday gift this past March 2012. Having previously owned a crystal controled Regency scanner (circa 1970's) and a Radio Shack programmable scanner (circa mid-1980's) I can say that I'm familiar with scanners. Please note that this unit was purchased from HRO not Scannermaster just to put this into context.

Not having a PC at home to use the CD for programming instructions I contacted Scannermaster by phone to inquire about getting hardcopy instructions for the BCD396XT and was told it didn't come with any. At this point I pointed out that the previous two scanners I had owned were provided with written instructions and questioned why it was not so in this case only to be told because it wasn't, though no answer as to why this was so was provided. I then asked if Scannermaster could print out the instructions from the CD for a fee and mail it to me but was informed that this was not practical as it was not possible to format it for printing; when it was pointed out that the impractability and inconvenience of this for people such as myself who didn't have access to a home computer the person told me I was confusing him and proceeded to hang up on me.

I called back and got the same person - seems Scannermaster has only one individual to answer the phone for customer assistance I came to find out. After further inquiry, the gentleman (and I use the term very loosely here) told me they did have available a manual for the 396XT. Great, why wasn't I informed of this when I first called looking for hardcopy instructions? Don't ya know, and not surprisingly, he couldn't figure this out either.

Now, you be the judge - if reason, logic, and patience on my part leads to the experience above I know what my opinion of Scannermaster is. What's yours?

mrkelso

Did you try Grove or any of the others and ask them to print out the instructions for you for a fee?

lindsay34654

I do not know of any scanner or let alone other electronics now a day that comes with a manual. Everything is done online 1 might be because of cost but the other thing is the size of the stupid manuals the smaller the item the larger the manual. Hell for my HP-1 the manual if almost 60 pages. As for the other 2 scanner you had from the 70's and 80's were not as complicated as the ones that they make today. Sounds like you were beating up on the poor guy answering the phone when your real beef was with the company that made the computer. Also you did not mention why your did not beat up on the guy from HRO where the unit was bought from, you went to scanner master who really does not owe you anything in the way of an answer. I have been dealing with Scanner Master since I live in Mass in the 70's and never had any issues with them, when you do not try to bully them.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I can understand, to a very small degree, your frustration with Scannermaster, but I hardly believe your heading of " Scannermaster Questionable At Best" is fair. The radio does NOT come with a printed manual. I think pointing out that your previous scanners came with printed manuals and asking why this one did not is wasting the Scannermaster employees time...as you indicated, he was probably the only one answering the phones at the time. Besides, he works for Scannermaster, not Uniden. Your frustration at not convincing him to print a manual from the CD, whether possible or not, appears misguided. If he IS the only one answering the phone, what makes you think he can take the time out to print a manual for you, even for a fee. I believe the manual he said you could purchase may be published as one of an "easier to read" series, purchased separately and not provided by Uniden.

I believe there are most certainly times when a business deserves the complaints for which it is responsible. However I also believe that unfairly labeling one of a very small number of businesses dedicated to this hobby can cause harm to its reputation that can take a very long time to overcome.

I am VERY curious as to why you did not contact HRO in regards?

John
PS. I, in no way, have any association with Scannermaster other than as a satisfied customer.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Why in the world did you take this out on

Scanner Master? The scanner you received came from HRO, they were who you should have contacted about trying to get a hard copy of the manual. You really need to contact that saleman at Scanner Master and give him an apology. He/they didn't deserve the "Scannermaster Questionable At Best " title you posted.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Warning

Many electronics do still come with manuals. Yaesu is one that still has a printing press available, as witnessed by my new FT-60R. Even some of the cheap Chinese have manuals, although their usefulness make take a lot of patience. The real point of this whole discussion is that they are not available with the 396xt (try a Pro-106 next time), and it is not the seller's or any other retailers fault.

W1MTW

I'm surprised he didn't point you to Uniden's page, as they have the manual for your 396XT available there.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Material Moved to Own Thread

To the OP:
Don't hijack someone else's thread with your story. You have a story you feel you want to relate, than start your own thread, since you didn't I moved your inappropriate content, and the replies to it, to it's own thread.

In relation to this:
Now, you be the judge - if reason, logic, and patience on my part leads to the experience above I know what my opinion of Scannermaster is. What's yours?
  • As someone asked, why did you contact ScannerMaster when the radio came from HRO?
  • Why are you blaming the dealers who have nothing to do with a decision made by Uniden?
  • What computer are you using to post in the forum? Why don't you use that computer to read the manual or print your own copy?
  • My opinion, since you asked, is that ScannerMaster is just fine; you on the other hand need a serious reality check.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you buy the "easier to read" manual that Scanner Master offers- well worth the money.

For what it is worth, I tried to take the cd that came with my 396XT to Staples to have them print a hard copy for me and they would not due to copyright concerns.

reitan_family

If you need a manual, I'll print one out and mail it to you. Not really a big deal for me, yet I understand your frustration of no paperwork in the box. One thing I always remember "if you can't teach an old dog new tricks, they will get a younger pup". I am so grateful for my computer savi daughter. Have a great day, and drop me a note it you need the instructions....

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

I just bought a scanner from ScannerMaster a week ago, and I will continue to do so every time I need another or any parts. I only wish they carried the antennas I prefer.

If I had a document that I needed a printed copy of (I rarely do as I prefer to use a searchable electronic copy), and somehow I ended up without a computer to print from, I'd print from a copy shop, a library, or whatever.

kma371

QRT
Why call the company you bought it from and complain to them why it doesn't have a manual? Isn't that Unidens issue? Scanner master didn't make the radio, they just sell it. I think your blaming the wrong person.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Scanner Master is Great!

I have to agree with several other posters. Why would you contact Scanner Master regarding a product purchased from HRO? I think that says it all :) Happy Scanning!!!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Wow, what twisted logic.

My first call would be to Uniden who manufactured the scanner and were ultimately responsible for the decision not to include a printed manual.

My second call would be to HRO who sold the scanner to you.

ScannerMaster has always gone out of their way to accommodate my requests and I'm quite happy with their service.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I, too am a loyal ScannerMaster customer. I have a BCT15X and a 396XT purchased from them and never had any issues.
I've had the 15X since it was the "new" model so I was able to get my 396XT going in seconds out of the box either way but the ScannerMaster page for the 396XT states there is no printed manual and that it comes with a CD manual. It also gives a link to the Uniden manual on the web. I'm too lazy to search for it but a Google search for "396XT manual" will also bring up an "easier to read manual" that may be better for you than the Uniden one. If you don't have access to print it out maybe someone else can print it for you. I also see ScannerMaster does offer a manual for a fee as well.
Having over 10 years in customer service myself and without hearing the call in person I can't say it's right to do to you what they did on the 1st call but otherwise I wouldn't find fault in their service. It's a Uniden policy to not print out the manuals now and beyond their control.

Either way it's a great scanner that I use daily and I hope the initial experiences haven't soured you on it and once you learn to use it you'll enjoy it for many years.

orpcat

Premium Subscriber
Horrid Little Piece of Electronic Junk

Liquidgee,
I think your review of the BC396xt on amazon tells the real story.

Hope you learned how to program your scanner, its a great scanner.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I would have called the place you bought it from (HRO) or the manufacturer (Uniden) instead of Scannermaster. That makes more sense to me. Or better yet, visit a library, copy shop, or whatever computer you used to make this thread with.

JoeyC

Liquidgee,
I think your review of the BC396xt on amazon tells the real story.

Hope you learned how to program your scanner, its a great scanner.

I think the OP should stick to reviewing books.

How in the world Scannermaster got involved in this little story when he bought the item, manufactured by Uniden, from HRO defys all logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.