Simple Question for ppl with multiple scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

If you tune 2 different scanners on the same frequency. Do both of them receive at the same exact time? Or is one slower with the transmition? Otherwords, do some scanners delay transmitions ?

PFCCooper

I have my BC350C and my BCT-15 oh maybe four or five feet from one another and they receive the same trans. at the same time.

thadood

Ive actually done some slight experimenting with this with my PRO-97 and PRO-2055. they both recieve at the same time pretty much no matter what , even with different squelch settings, there might be a couple millisecond delay if that , but thier still right there with each other.

N4JNW

It really depends on a number of things.

There could be two scenarios..

One, both scanners scanning, and two, both scanners paused on the same frequency. If they're both paused on the same frequency, then both of the scanners should recieve at the same time.

Now, in the next situation, we have both scanners scanning. The scanner with the most frequencies, would definately be at a disadvantage, because it would have to scan all the way back to the active frequency in order to recieve it. So If you've got one scanner with 5 frequencies, and another scanner with 1000, naturally, the scanner with 5 is going to "catch" the frequency first. :)

Hope this helps.

xpawel15x

KG4LJF said:
It really depends on a number of things.

There could be two scenarios..

One, both scanners scanning, and two, both scanners paused on the same frequency. If they're both paused on the same frequency, then both of the scanners should recieve at the same time.

Now, in the next situation, we have both scanners scanning. The scanner with the most frequencies, would definately be at a disadvantage, because it would have to scan all the way back to the active frequency in order to recieve it. So If you've got one scanner with 5 frequencies, and another scanner with 1000, naturally, the scanner with 5 is going to "catch" the frequency first. :)

Hope this helps.

Yeah no shieeet I knew that lol. i did specify that both scanners were "tuned" or paused on
the same freq.

hoser147

If they are locked on the same freq, which i presume you are meaning when you say tuned, they should be within milliseconds of each other. If they are scanning there is alot of variables, such as other traffic delay it and different scan speeds. Good Scannin Hoser147

thadood

Here is an ok scenerio that ive tryed , i have a pair of GMRS radios that you can buy at wal-mart. i took my PRO-97 out to my car and put it on scan "Both PRO-97 and PRO-2055 are programmed virtually the same with a few exeptions" i took a GMRS radio with me and taped down the PTT button on it and placed it fairly enough to the PRO-97 for it to recieve the transmission to be heard clearly, now back in the house on my PRO-2055 and the other GMRS radio i had standing by to listen , the transmission still came through at the same time, not counting the minoot Milliseconds i cant measure. the over all distance between the two was about 100 feet. i actually get better signal from inside my house than outside in my car due to tree's but outside a scanner will still pick up right on the transmission

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
My local county fire dispatch operates on the new digital system, but still simulcasts on the old conventional VHF frequency for their pagers. There is about a 1/2 second delay between them, but they are different frequencies on completely different radio systems that are transmitting the same traffic. If you have 2 scanners on the same frequency at the same time, you should hear the traffic at the same time.

n2mdk

The speed of light is relatively constant (pun intended) the speed of the COS or PL tone circuit isn't.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Two scanners ...

It depends on the frequency, the mode of the channel, the scanner and the antenna source. For example, if the "channel" is trunked, the scanners work independently. If one has the channel set to CT and the other FM, it might take the scanner set to CT a little longer to acquire the tone and open the squelch. And of course, if each is on rubber antennas, they are really independent.

SCPD

QRT
Don't be surprised if one handheld doesn't receive at all when you have more than one of them in an area of marginal reception. Even commercial grade handhelds and mobiles will do this. I've been in situations where there are several pieces of fire apparatus (some with external speakers on) and many people outside of them with handhelds in various places, some on the hoods of pickups, some in people's hands, some on chest packs, and some on belts. I've also been in situations with a fire crew where everyone with a radio (crew and squad bosses) are standing or sitting in close proximity, with the nearest mobile being 20 miles away. A transmission might be heard on only a portion of the radios as it begins, then shift around to different radios as it continues. I can't explain the physics of this, but experienced it dozens of times in may career.

If people were moving around the explanation would be that the handheld was moved and either lost or gained optimum conditions for reception. However, I've seen this happen when all the handhelds are in a fixed position, on the hood of trucks with no one standing nearby, mobiles that are parked either with the engine running or off, with everyone standing or sitting and not moving around. It is as if there is only so much signal strength to go around and when a radio or radios capture all of it there is nothing left for the other radios. This does not explain why different radios capture the signal at different times during a transmission.

Last edited:

WA1CRZ

Can I get a scanner then that receives a transmission before the transmission is made?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WA1CRZ said:
Can I get a scanner then that receives a transmission before the transmission is made?
Sounds like you should contact H.G. Wells for a Time Machine.

N

N_Jay

For analog reception using an analog receiver, I doubt you would EVER here the minuscule differences in receive processing time.

For either digital signals or digitally decoded (DSP) analog receivers, there could be minor timing differences depending on how the software and hardware are implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.