Consulting: looking for assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick_day

Our neighborhood group wants to go ahead with my plan on putting the APD Zone 5 scanner feed on our web page (or, unlike the current one, at least one totally dedicated to Zone 5, and it's aux channels).

What I want to do is hire one of you as a consultant, to

1.recommend the correct scanner (I prefer eBay, but will consider a used scanner.),

2. research and assist with the purchase of any antenna necessary (my son and I can probably install the mounting base up on the 2nd floor roof), and to provide, download, install and and set up the proper software on to a laptop you will also recommend. Finally you will communicate with our web person to coordinate the linkup.

The location is Midtown Atlanta near Georgia Tech. possible hitch: the antenna will be located within 40-80 feet from an active cell tower.

Much of the consulting can be done over email, with the installation done in one day at my location. It can be done in the day or evening hours.

I may be wrong, but figure this is worth $75.00 plus mileage and a meal to a hobbyist who can probably do this easily. I can do most if it myself, but we have the budget and I don't have the time, heh heh.

Interested knowledgeable types can reply, or send me an email to safety@midtown.org

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Simple and easy - get either a GRE or Uniden P25 capable scanner, just sit it on the desk with the supplied antenna, hook it to the internet and away you go. You shouldn't have any problem with signal reception where you are at. I just saved you $75.00!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
but being located that close to a cell site (especially if there are any iDEN base stations for Southern Linc or Nextel) will certainly pose a desense/intermodulation issue. An outside antenna may not be advisable as this can actually overload the front end and make reception worse. With at&t and Verizon running broadband carriers (1.25MHz wide on VZW, and 5MHz on at&t's UMTS) right next door he'll be in for some serious noise across the 800MHz band that close by.

Mike in this case a consultation may be in order, to save the OP some trouble. I would take a digital scanner down there with a rubber duck and a mag mount and see what the results are. Not trying to put a damper on it, but in my experience this close to a cell site is not advisable for a reliable RX. Even on a system radio (yes our expensive 4000 dollar portables get wiped out from ESMR/cellular interference too).

rmiller818

Since you are in the city you would probably be fine using the antenna that comes with the scanner. My handhelds work pretty good in the city without any special antenna arrangement. If it is still not receiving well you may want to turn the attenuator on. I have sat right under cell towers with my scanners and with the attenuator on I have been able to receive they system I was listening to just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.