RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Georgia Radio Discussion Forum

Georgia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Georgia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2006, 4:57 PM

To answer you question about the inactive TGs on the state system for GSP, tg 4208 is where they operated first (briefly) when they came off SouthernLinc system for primary operations. The state system still has only one transmitter downtown, so they soon realized the coverage was quite poor around town, it's better on the current Atlanta system.
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2006, 9:22 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Okay, now it's been a while since I've been to Georgia. But I decided to just start looking through the counties and I noticed that nearly EVERYTHING is VHF. That's kind of cool and I'm sure helpful for interoperability. I don't understand how a few frequencies can serve the entire Georgia State Patrol without the bases interfering with each other. Do they all use separate tones?
Old 07-04-2006, 9:30 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Interference isn't really that bad. In the Atlanta & Savannah areas they are on TRS, so that helps out (Atlanta also simulcast on 155.9100 - they don't use 154.680/154.800 for dispatch).

/
\/\|k.e

EMS Dispatcher/EMD Certified
http://icanhasdriverslicense.com
Old 07-05-2006, 4:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Talking Ga State Patrol

As Mike mentioned, in the Metro Atlanta area they are either on the City of Atlanta TRS or 155.910-Mhz , also referred to as "Troop C"

No GSP freq's use PL/DPL. It is all CSQ.

Outside of Atlanta and Savannah, it's all base to car - 154.680
and car to base - 154.800.
Car to car takes place on 165.680 (Trooper)
Car to car statewide agencies to troopers is 154.905.

Enjoy your trip to Georgia. If you need any info on specific areas, this database as well as www.ScanAtlanta.com is a great source. Mike has put together an awesome site.

Best Regards,
Julian
Old 08-09-2006, 5:29 PM

If you plan on listening to GSP while your mobile your going to need a very long whip antenna mounted on your car. I have a 6 footer I use and it works great. I handheld scanner isnt going to pick up anything unless your right on the trooper or the post.
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2006, 6:06 PM

165.680 you never posted that one before, this new?
Old 08-09-2006, 7:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile GSP Freq

Sorry........ 165.680 does not exist. That was a typing error on my part.

154.680 is base to car and car to car.

Best Regards,
Julian
Old 09-18-2009, 5:34 PM

Smile Gsp

hi,i own a BCT8.i am traveling next week down I95 to exit 3.I would like to try and pick up GSP.Do i need a digital scanner or are there frequencies i can program in to be able to listen to them?Thank you for any help you can give me.

Brian
Old 09-18-2009, 6:55 PM

no you do not need a digital scanner your bct8 will work just fine its all on vhf. iwould also program the chatham - effingham county trs into your scanner GSP has a talkgroup on there system

QUOTE=BRabbit;1159733]hi,i own a BCT8.i am traveling next week down I95 to exit 3.I would like to try and pick up GSP.Do i need a digital scanner or are there frequencies i can program in to be able to listen to them?Thank you for any help you can give me.

Brian[/QUOTE]
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Most of what you will want to listen to is 154.68 base/154.8 mobile.

/
\/\|k.e

EMS Dispatcher/EMD Certified
http://icanhasdriverslicense.com
Old 02-13-2013, 6:11 PM

Howdy, I'm a newbie here, just discovered this forum while surfing. Some interesting questions and answers which I find interesting reading. I am retired from the State of Ga. Telecommunications Division. I started my career with the Ga. State Patrol in 1958 as a radio technician. In March of that year I looked out the door and there stood 325 brand new 1958 Ford State Patrol cars in which to install two-way radios. At that time we had only one channel for GSP use, 42.02 low band. I maintained all the radios in North Georgia, that is north of Atlanta. Did that until Jimmy Carter "reorganized" departments and I was moved to the Telecommunications Division where I worked until retirement in 1991. I was there when we installed and converted to high band frequencies 154.68 and 154.80 and I think that was in 1961-62 time period. Later came the .905 and .935 frequencies. It's been almost 40 years since I worked on radio equipment but I have enjoyed reading the comments and questions etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 6:23 PM

What is TRS?
Old 02-14-2013, 7:58 AM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRock View Post
What is TRS?
Trunking Radio System
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wink

Quote:
Howdy, I'm a newbie here, just discovered this forum while surfing. Some interesting questions and answers which I find interesting reading. I am retired from the State of Ga. Telecommunications Division. I started my career with the Ga. State Patrol in 1958 as a radio technician. In March of that year I looked out the door and there stood 325 brand new 1958 Ford State Patrol cars in which to install two-way radios. At that time we had only one channel for GSP use, 42.02 low band. I maintained all the radios in North Georgia, that is north of Atlanta. Did that until Jimmy Carter "reorganized" departments and I was moved to the Telecommunications Division where I worked until retirement in 1991. I was there when we installed and converted to high band frequencies 154.68 and 154.80 and I think that was in 1961-62 time period. Later came the .905 and .935 frequencies. It's been almost 40 years since I worked on radio equipment but I have enjoyed reading the comments and questions etc.
I'm sure you know Paul Lee and Jimmy Crump!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

SEGARRN,( south east georgia regional radio network) is under construction and now covers these counties: Chatham; Effingham; Bryan; Long; Liberty; Glynn. It is an APCO P-25 digital network and GSP posts 42 (Rincon, i.e. Savannah) and Post 11 (Hinesville). Testing was heard this week for Bulloch (site of GSP post 45). Some SEGARRN sites are 800 MHz however site 103 (Statesboro) is all 700 MHz. So anyone traveling in s.e. GA will require a digital scanner along I-16 and I-95 to hear the GSP.
Six sites are on the air according to the listing on rr.com. At present the operation is in so-called P-25 Phase 1. Also be advised we do have the specaily marked cars of a Nighthawks unit based in se GA.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2013, 5:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default georgia state patrol

Are all the towers supporting GSP? Or are they still relying on VHF for rural areas?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

All 6 towers support all users if the units 'affiliate' with that tower. Most units in Metro Savannah have migrated from the analgoue 800 MHz MOT system to SEGARRN some sites (but not all) have both the conventional trunking system and the P-25 trunking transmitters at the same site. GSP in SE GA are all dispatched remotely from the Post in Brunswick despite the on-the-rir identification which says differently.
SInce the transmitters are at the original FCC licensed locations it is not possible to tell from listening where the GSP Operator is physically located. In the SEGARRN counties, there is very little conventional VHF, it is no longer needed. BTW, there are hundreds of users. GSP traffic is a small portion of the total.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up Small World

Quote:
I also worked for DOAS Telecom, left in 1987. Last job I did was to remove the old 42.02 base stations and replace them with the MSR-2000 on 155.475 for Troop A.
Old 02-21-2013, 8:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default georgia state patrol

So as far as the SEGGARN updates, do these affect the Columbia County, Richmond County, McDuffie at all? Or are these still 154.680 and using Augusta's Palmetto System. Also, are the two Augusta GSP talkgroups operational? I have never heard anything on them. Also, does anyone know which sites carry the Augusta talkgroups. I am looking for coverage out by Patriots Park. It is very staticky in that area using the Augusta tower.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The 'Plan" was to cover I-95 in Georgia from the SC border to the FL border and I-16. At present there are 7 Member counties: Bulloch; Bryan; Camden; Chatham; Effingham; Glynn; Liberty. SEGARRN has a web site with basic information however several parts of the web site are restricted to officials of Member jurisdictions. Columbia / Richmond county is NOT involved.