Scanner and distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbjr

Im in Macon,Ga (Sub south) and was wondering if i had another scanner,could i reach byron ga from here? Im about 9-10 miles north from center of byron to my house.I would add a pro 197 to listen.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for your system, but since you haven't received a reply yet, I thought I'd offer some assistance.

I don't see any issues receiving a city 9-10mi. away. I regularly get towers 20+ mi. away with just the stock antenna... If you were to add an outdoor aerial it would, of course, be better.

mjbjr

Im in an apartment so an external antenna isnt allowed. I may plug in the numbers this weekend and see what i hear.Thanks

N8IAA

Im in an apartment so an external antenna isnt allowed. I may plug in the numbers this weekend and see what i hear.Thanks

If you have a metal file cabinet near your scanner, you might want to try the RS mobile antenna to pick up Byron's frequencies. Even the back of radio telescoping antenna should help. I hear conventional frequencies from a county (Dawson) more than twenty miles away on just a regular ham radio duck.
HTH,
Larry

turbojetinfo

Byron P.D.

I live in North Macon and can hear Byron P.D., Fort Valley and Peach S.O. with a rubber duck just fine. An 18" whip gives a solid signal. These guys stay pretty busy.

mjbjr

I live in North Macon and can hear Byron P.D., Fort Valley and Peach S.O. with a rubber duck just fine. An 18" whip gives a solid signal. These guys stay pretty busy.
Well if you can from there,it should be no problem from Hartley bridge rd then.Thanks for the help,Im gonna look into another scanner for them.I believe they are digital if i read right.

turbojetinfo

Byron P.D.

Byron P.D. and Peach County S.O. are analog VHF freqs. on 155.490 and 155.685. Should be an easy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.