Chattcomm RUMORS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Chattcomm's lease is about to expire at their current location and it's RUMORED that they may be moving into the old Target on Johnson Ferry next to Sandy Springs Fire Station #2.

It is also RUMORED that if Brookhaven becomes a city, that Chattcomm will be their dispatch center.

3rd RUMOR has it that the North Fulton entities (SS, Roswell, Alpharetta & Johns Creek) are in talks with Motorola about a new DTRS so they can move all of the antiquated Fulton system.

Comes from a pretty reliable source, but is still RUMORED!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Chattcomm's lease is about to expire at their current location and it's RUMORED that they may be moving into the old Target on Johnson Ferry next to Sandy Springs Fire Station #2.

It is also RUMORED that if Brookhaven becomes a city, that Chattcomm will be their dispatch center.

3rd RUMOR has it that the North Fulton entities (SS, Roswell, Alpharetta & Johns Creek) are in talks with Motorola about a new DTRS so they can move all of the antiquated Fulton system.

Hopefully they'll be smart and put out a real RFP and not just pay what the blue pigs ask, otherwise the folks in SS, Dumpwoody, Roswell and Alpharetta will get boned. Oh well, they can afford it.

Seriously, a true competitive RFP should be a MANDATE if there ever was one. Harris, EF Johnson and Cassidian/EADS all sell compatible P25 systems. Richardson, TX bought a Cassidian/EADS system, which comprised mostly MOTOROLA products, yet it was 1/3 less than MOTOROLA themselves wanted.

Hopefully, they are smart enough to shop around.

dlls1415

The Target location is owned by the City of Sandy Springs and they've been toying around with it for some time on making it the city's center. The hold up are the adjacent businesses on the southeast corner of the property. There's a dry cleaner, Waffle House and a couple of others who aren't looking to sell or move and are in somewhat of a battle with the city on a possible imminent domain situation. Until that is settled, I wouldn't expect any movement of an outfit like CHATTCOM to invest in a move that would be for an uncertain amount of time.

Not sure about the Brookhaven situation but it sounds plausible. Their other options would be to use one of the other city or county centers and since many of them have ongoing problems, the new city of Brookhaven wouldn't want to start off with any potential of getting a black eye if they're looking to make improvements for residents. Using one of those troubled centers could lead to a lack of confidence in the city leadership to make sound decisions upon it's creation.

The North Fulton cities have explored the Atlanta UASI system but have yet to make a decision on what they'll end up with. They're likely shopping around for cost comparisons of building their own DTRS versus being a tenant on an existing one. The bean counters are going to want those types of costs comparisons versus advantages/disadvantages to help make a decision of what they should or shouldn't do.

Maybe someone on here has the inside knowledge to fill in more details of the facts.

ChattComm RUMORS

I thought Fulton County had set the money aside to go digital? Does anyone know if that is true? I remember them talking about this at least a year ago.This is coming from a county that has a $7 million amphitheater (Wolf Creek) and two events to use it!

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Fulco is broke! If the north cities were to break away and form Milton County (one could only hope), Fulton County would have to merge with the City of Atlanta if they wanted to survive. And I don't think Atlanta would want to do that!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I thought Fulton County had set the money aside to go digital? Does anyone know if that is true? I remember them talking about this at least a year ago.This is coming from a county that has a $7 million amphitheater (Wolf Creek) and two events to use it!

Fulton county replaced all the legacy analog radios with digital capable XTS/XTLs using a combo of SAFECOM grants and rebanding money. The huge cost of replacing the old 192C trunking system which was installed 1989 is estimated to be (according to their vendor) 22-25 million dollars not counting overhauling their microwave back haul.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The Target location is owned by the City of Sandy Springs and they've been toying around with it for some time on making it the city's center. The hold up are the adjacent businesses on the southeast corner of the property. There's a dry cleaner, Waffle House and a couple of others who aren't looking to sell or move and are in somewhat of a battle with the city on a possible imminent domain situation. Until that is settled, I wouldn't expect any movement of an outfit like CHATTCOM to invest in a move that would be for an uncertain amount of time.

Not sure about the Brookhaven situation but it sounds plausible. Their other options would be to use one of the other city or county centers and since many of them have ongoing problems, the new city of Brookhaven wouldn't want to start off with any potential of getting a black eye if they're looking to make improvements for residents. Using one of those troubled centers could lead to a lack of confidence in the city leadership to make sound decisions upon it's creation.

The North Fulton cities have explored the Atlanta UASI system but have yet to make a decision on what they'll end up with. They're likely shopping around for cost comparisons of building their own DTRS versus being a tenant on an existing one. The bean counters are going to want those types of costs comparisons versus advantages/disadvantages to help make a decision of what they should or shouldn't do.

Maybe someone on here has the inside knowledge to fill in more details of the facts.

The issue mot people have with then UASI overlay is just that: it's an overlay and doesn't have the needed in building portable coverage or the channel capacity to accommodate multiple agencies dispatching and tactical talk groups without sacrificing its availability to roaming users. That and the IMO OUTRAGEOUS per radio access fee assessed for interoperable users.

Poor planning and administration leaves it idling most of the time, reminds me of the last statewide TRS project of the 1990s, it was a great idea on paper, but in practice it sucked. Not enough coverage, high user fees, and no firm buildout plans. We see how well that worked out didn't we?

Hopefully the right questions will be asked, and we will see a good RFP like the one Floyd county did to procure their 700/800MHz DTRS. This is the kind of planning, research and work that SHOULD be done, and allow for all players a chance at the field so we get the best value for our money, and performance guarantee and not just write a blank check to a vendor and let them run the show.

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Just remember one thing - Payolla Talks, BS Walks! Shame that most of the contracts end up that way. I sure hope the Floyd County works out for them!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Last I heard, Floyd's buildout of sites is on schedule.
You're right about PAYOLA. Remember the Manuel Maloof/Motorola wine, dine and hooker expo in 1987 when Ma M was pushing the first Smartnet I rollout?

This is an example of how business REALLY GETS DONE (no pun intended).

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
well, this is a reality coming for those "separate but equal" mentality folks in some parts, running your own government, especially a startup, costs REAL money.

it would have been cheaper to get people elected in the current system and do a house cleaning of Fulton county, versus trying to start a new government. Always easier to work WITH and not AGAINST others.

I'm surprised Chatcomm is only 1mill over, but wait until they have to pony up for a new radio system since their so unhappy with the FREE RIDE their getting on the Fulton county 800MHz Smartnet system. If you think you're overbudget now....

Status
Not open for further replies.