RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Georgia Radio Discussion Forum

Georgia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Georgia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 2:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Fulton county Smartnet II system crash and burn

The 22 year old Fulton county Smartnet II TRS went offline for about 4 hours today, not sure what died, but it went completely offline (no failsoft, nothing)
It came back around 11:30AM.

Fulton Co. radio dispatch system crashes | www.wsbtv.com
Old 10-23-2012, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
The 22 year old Fulton county Smartnet II TRS went offline for about 4 hours today, not sure what died, but it went completely offline (no failsoft, nothing)
It came back around 11:30AM.

Fulton Co. radio dispatch system crashes | www.wsbtv.com
WSB says there was a backup system in place? What was it? Did they use a conventional 800 repeater?
Old 10-23-2012, 3:48 PM

Default Fulton County Radio system crash and burn

I think they may have used UASI channels.
Old 10-23-2012, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30319 View Post
I think they may have used UASI channels.
I wish I had been in range to try and figure out what they used. UASI makes sense though. I know Alpharetta and Milton have Forsyth TG's in all their portables and in dispatch so that is always an option.
Old 10-23-2012, 7:07 PM

Default Fulton County Radio system crash and burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by procopper7005 View Post
I wish I had been in range to try and figure out what they used. UASI makes sense though. I know Alpharetta and Milton have Forsyth TG's in all their portables and in dispatch so that is always an option.
Yes, and the City of Johns Creek Fire and Police also have their radios programmed with talkgroups on the Forsyth County System for interoperability and backup too.
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2012, 1:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

during the response to the shooting at World Changers on Burdett Rd (which is right down the street from one of the FCTRS prime sites BTW), I heard the telltale signs of out of sync simulcast warble on the carrier on my portable, but I am in SW Cobb. Usually I can get the FCTRS better than any other system here except Atlanta.

This thing is on it's last leg. It needs to be overhauled completely or just put out of it's misery.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
during the response to the shooting at World Changers on Burdett Rd (which is right down the street from one of the FCTRS prime sites BTW), I heard the telltale signs of out of sync simulcast warble on the carrier on my portable, but I am in SW Cobb. Usually I can get the FCTRS better than any other system here except Atlanta.

This thing is on it's last leg. It needs to be overhauled completely or just put out of it's misery.
I wonder how Fulton County plans on doing this? Surely they wont build a countywide DTRS!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Maybe they can just give all the officers ipads?

Just send them an email with a link to Apple Maps showing the location of the incident.

Just a thought.
Old 11-16-2012, 3:43 PM

Interesting Article here "If the county were to move forward in replacing its radio system infrastructure, it would have to foot the entire $26 million bill."

NeighborNewspapers.com - County split on 911 upgrades
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2012, 8:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebuff880 View Post
Interesting Article here "If the county were to move forward in replacing its radio system infrastructure, it would have to foot the entire $26 million bill."

NeighborNewspapers.com - County split on 911 upgrades
Quite a big bill to foot being that they aren't paying a dime to freeload now.
Watch the whiners "I don't want to pay more taxes but I want great services" begin in 3....2....1
I still say IXP should pony up for something, wether it be joining the new county system or if they choose to build out their own, as IXP designed a 911 center and runs CHATCOMM, they have an obligation to provide all infrastructure to do so.

Last edited by MTS2000des; 11-17-2012 at 8:30 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 5:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

and the real cost of replacing the old system is rolling in...

http://mm1.co.fulton.ga.us/cache/000.../2012-0975.PDF
Old 01-03-2013, 7:51 PM

Fulton County, Georgia ("County") is seeking qualified firms for the upgrad and expansion of the existing 800 MHz analog simulcast trunked radio system infrastructure to APCO P25 Phase 2 TDMA simulcast trunked infrastructure.

--------------------------------

Fulton County Bid Opportunities
Old 06-17-2013, 6:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Crashed again June 17th

Once again, at around 1700 this date, the FCTRS went offline. North county CHATCOMM and Roswell/Alphatetta agencies are switching to UASI (Chatcomm on UASI Law East 1), south county agencies are on 8TAC-92.

The system itself is still up but sounds like a few sites and console links may be failing.

Not to fear though, MA M has been selected as the new vendor for the new FCTRS, it's on Wednesday's agenda at the BOC meeting if anyone cares.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default back up around 2000

All agencies have returned to the TRS as of around 1930-2000 hrs.

Interesting to note that FCPD South Patrol showed up on 8TAC92 and not their standalone 854.5875 repeater.
Old 06-18-2013, 4:39 PM

So it looks like North Fulton listeners will have the Phase I P25 UASI overlay and Fulton will purchase a Phase II system most likely? Are we also looking at another system being purchased by just the cities or will they wait for Fulton like years prior?
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2013, 5:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

the county has selected Motorola and will move to a P25 phase II system:
http://mm1.co.fulton.ga.us/cache/000...ag130619bh.pdf

the cities have chosen to build their own network, and created a Unified Radio System, also a Motorola Astro 25 phase 2, but excludes the city of Johns Creek, who most likely will remain on the current (and future replacement) Fulton county system:
http://www.sandyspringsga.org/getmed...m;;.aspx;.html

The UASI is an overlay and will continue to be used as a backup and as a transition system while the two new systems are built out and finalized
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Wonder if with Johns Creek not wanting to bid into the new system, if they will also bow out of ChatComm? And, will they continue on the Fulton system or possibly conventional?

/
\/\|k.e

EMS Dispatcher/EMD Certified
http://icanhasdriverslicense.com
Old 06-19-2013, 4:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by b7spectra View Post
Wonder if with Johns Creek not wanting to bid into the new system, if they will also bow out of ChatComm? And, will they continue on the Fulton system or possibly conventional?
The Fulton RFP included Johns Creek as having console access on the new system. Not sure if this means they will stick with Chatcomm or not.

IMO, the cities on the north county side are acting like total snob rear ends not wanting to join the county network. All their crying and whining about not being in control show what their problem is really all about.

At the end of the day, Fulton county OWNS the very real estate that these cities will NEED to construct a decent system when it comes to infrastructure (read: tower sites). And if I were them, I'd make them pay dearly for site leases for wanting to be a bunch of snotnoses. If you've studied the new Fulton RFP, you'll see it will have vast wide area portable coverage just as solid on the North county as it will South county and point in between.

but since those "rich" cities have it like that, let em pay for their own system. Watch the taxpayers start crying once the tab for the "Unified Radio System" come in, and they will be pretty angry when they find out that they could have saved millions and just joined the new Fulton network, which they are paying for anyway being they are still Fulton county taxpayers. Morons.
Old 06-20-2013, 3:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

MTS2000des - do you happen to know whether Fulton County uses a tone of their conventional 800 MHz repeaters, e.g., 854.5875?
Old 06-20-2013, 8:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrofire31 View Post
MTS2000des - do you happen to know whether Fulton County uses a tone of their conventional 800 MHz repeaters, e.g., 854.5875?
PL 146.2

Fulton county commission did approve the RFP with Motorola. Buildout will commence soon and is expected to take 9-12 months to complete.