RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Georgia Radio Discussion Forum

Georgia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Georgia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 2:27 PM

Default GSP unit numbering?

Recently in upper NW Georgia I'm hearing dispatchers talking with 7600 and 7700 units. (Like 7741). Who is that? I'm hearing more of this lately. But I'm also still hearing the traditional three-digit numbered cars.
I have not listened to DNR lately so not sure what their numbering is like. But they used to be called "NR - - -" when they worked off the GSP network. Is the state going to a new numbering scheme in keeping with the new regional dispatch centers?
Thanks and Happy New Year!
BG..
Old 12-31-2012, 4:43 PM

The 7600 and 7700 units are Motor Carrier Compliance Officers. MCCD officers and GSP troopers all fall under the same leadership under the Georgia Department of Public Safety. The regional communication centers for GSP provide dispatch operations for trooper, MCCD and DNR.

Their whole agency structure can be found here: Divisions | Georgia Department of Public Safety
Old 12-31-2012, 5:42 PM
EMS Dispatcher
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

GSP usually calls the cars by the badge number.

/
\/\|k.e

EMS Dispatcher/EMD Certified
http://icanhasdriverslicense.com
Old 01-01-2013, 9:21 AM

Badge, license plate and radio are all the same number. Historically, their weapons also bear their number. When weapons are replaced, you get to purchase your issued pistol.

Unless things have changed:

The troopers select their number in the final phase of trooper school. If you had a relative with GSP, (father, uncle, etc.) you may get preference to get their old number. Should a certain number become available later, you can request it. Even the Governor and First Lady had a radio number at one time (GSP 1000 and 2000, I believe).

As a side note, Corporals and Sergeants receive a framable warrant upon promotion. Lieutenants and above receive a commission. Troopers even salute the officers...

Lieutenants and above drive completely unmarked cars with uniforms being optional. At one time, cars issued to the top brass were loaded with factory options, unlike the regular troopers. One Colonel had two state cars, one marked and one unmarked. This particular Colonel also had a free personal car supplied by Ford Motor Company...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Thank you!
BG..