GSP unit numbering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

Recently in upper NW Georgia I'm hearing dispatchers talking with 7600 and 7700 units. (Like 7741). Who is that? I'm hearing more of this lately. But I'm also still hearing the traditional three-digit numbered cars.
I have not listened to DNR lately so not sure what their numbering is like. But they used to be called "NR - - -" when they worked off the GSP network. Is the state going to a new numbering scheme in keeping with the new regional dispatch centers?
Thanks and Happy New Year!
BG..

dlls1415

The 7600 and 7700 units are Motor Carrier Compliance Officers. MCCD officers and GSP troopers all fall under the same leadership under the Georgia Department of Public Safety. The regional communication centers for GSP provide dispatch operations for trooper, MCCD and DNR.

Their whole agency structure can be found here: Divisions | Georgia Department of Public Safety

gman4661

Badge, license plate and radio are all the same number. Historically, their weapons also bear their number. When weapons are replaced, you get to purchase your issued pistol.

Unless things have changed:

The troopers select their number in the final phase of trooper school. If you had a relative with GSP, (father, uncle, etc.) you may get preference to get their old number. Should a certain number become available later, you can request it. Even the Governor and First Lady had a radio number at one time (GSP 1000 and 2000, I believe).

As a side note, Corporals and Sergeants receive a framable warrant upon promotion. Lieutenants and above receive a commission. Troopers even salute the officers...

Lieutenants and above drive completely unmarked cars with uniforms being optional. At one time, cars issued to the top brass were loaded with factory options, unlike the regular troopers. One Colonel had two state cars, one marked and one unmarked. This particular Colonel also had a free personal car supplied by Ford Motor Company...

Status
Not open for further replies.