Roswell area scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

Good morning all,
My son just move to the Roswell area from New Orleans and is looking to purchase a Radio Shack Pro 163. I have noticed that most of the radio systems in this part of Georgia are P25. Are the systems encrypted or just digital? If they are digital I know that the 163 will not work and will suggest that he look for a used digital unit. Any other information about the area and scanning this part of the state would be appreciated.

Thank you

Roswell

Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton, and Sandy Springs (cities in North Fulton County) are about to go encrypted in the next year or so.. Gwinnett County is already encrypted .Atlanta, Cobb, Dekalb and Fulton County are not. I hope this helps. Tell your son welcome to GA.

N8IAA

Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton, and Sandy Springs (cities in North Fulton County) are about to go encrypted in the next year or so.. Gwinnett County is already encrypted .Atlanta, Cobb, Dekalb and Fulton County are not. I hope this helps. Tell your son welcome to GA.
Don't forget Forsyth County is in the clear too. And is digital.
Larry

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher

Don't know about encrypted, but most likely digital.

GrumpyGuard

What does he like to listen to?
Personally, I think all the police will likely be encrypted by the end of the decade but the fire and ems usually remains in the clear.

He wants to listen to the Georgia State Patrol as well as Roswell PD. He is thinking of applying to the State Patrol and wants to listen to their communications.

rapidcharger

He wants to listen to the Georgia State Patrol as well as Roswell PD. He is thinking of applying to the State Patrol and wants to listen to their communications.

Well he's partially in luck. At least for the time being.
For most of the state GSP uses a base-mobile arrangement without even going through repeaters. Of course this can be tricky to listen to the mobile side without a good antenna and a high location. In the Atlanta area however, they do use the Atlanta TRS although I don't know what the talkgroup(s) is/are or any of the specifics are so maybe someone else can help there.
I can hear the dispatch on 154.680. It's not all that much activity compared to local police.

As someone else pointed out, Roswell is just a matter of time before they switch over to a new system. I don't know that its confirmed yet that it will be encrypted but I think it's a pretty safe bet that it will be. Cities like that aren't real big on transparency.

Roswell

Trust me, it WILL be an ENCRYPTED. I know the chief designer. I hate that i won't be able to hear them too. Trans what?

Status
Not open for further replies.