Guardian centers - Perry GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

airforceflyr

http://www.guardiancenters.com/

Check the you tube video, very intense operation here! Has anyone monitored ops from here or have hints on where to search?

For visiting agencies, would they use their organic radio gear or guardian center radios? Being that this is a private company I'm assuming freqs could be anywhere outside fed bands. I can't find any FCC listing albeit I'm a newbie at using the search function.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rapidcharger

Good find. I tried to find it in the ULS and couldn't but I guess I didn't search the applications.

It's a good idea that they practice with digital radios, especially if the trainees are using SCBA gear so they can get acclimated to the distortion and unusual noises that make communicating extremely difficult.

GC777

Guardian Center Operations

Every so often I google the GC to see what kind of response the facility creates. I noticed your question and would like to answer.

I am not a radio professional as you guys appear to be but I do have unique information and can possibly clarify a few things.

The Guardian Centers staff is small and operate using Motorola Radio to communicate among themselves. The do not communicate with those whom are participating in the exercise. This is not their role.

I assume however, and having been present for several operations as witness and participant, whatever method of communication would be SOP for the first responders is also used during training. Self explanatory.

What the purpose of the Guardian Centers is would be to provide only a venue to train, not the training itself. They provide the classroom/lab, you bring your own teacher.

Have Fun.

Attachments

• 515.jpg
    515.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 5,327

rapidcharger

GC777,
Thank you for responding.
If you are an employee of Guardian centers, I can imagine it probably seems a little strange that people are interested in your radio communications.
I'm guessing the reason the question was asked in the first place is because those agencies that are training at Guardian Centers can't legally operate their radios outside of the area that they are licensed for. And that's so that when some group comes from another state and transmits, they won't be interfering with local agencies. And of course a lot of radios nowadays are not even configured to work outside of their radio system. So with the exception of the local agencies and maybe those a couple of counties away, those that come from afar to train at that facility may know this and therefor leave their radios at home. And since GC provides the "classroom," GC may also need to provide the radios as they could be considered as part of the classroom furnishings. An easy thing to overlook.

Last edited:

GC777

Interesting point, I understand the premise. I don't not work there, personally now that it's open. I don't want to expand on my previous role. I am however curious, and remember I'm not knowledgeable in communications, but how could a Marine contingent or Federal agency responsible for emergency response nationally or worldwide not be able to bring communications with them? This makes me curious... Keep in mind as well some of the training exercises at GC will be "classified" as well as black ops. State and local First responders coming from other municipalities may have to go about this as you describe. I am almost curious enough to get a better answer than I can provide.

rapidcharger

how could a Marine contingent or Federal agency responsible for emergency response nationally or worldwide not be able to bring communications with them?

Well I'm sure the marines and many of the federal agencies that are set up to operate in the field at itinerant locations FEMA etc, can bring their own communications and are authroized to do so. I was under the impression, and I'm sure the OP probably was too, that many of the agencies using the facility are sort of your Anytown USA local fire rescue. They are the ones who are restricted geographically by their license and/or their radio system.

lep

Of course located here in South Georgia is the Federal Law Enforcement Training center on the former Glynn Naval Air Station property. They provide training for ALL Federal Agencies other than the FBI since the FBI facility at Quantico was in existence long before. There is a radio system on the base for use of the trainees, and they are issued radios as required for their training, they do not bring any radios with them. I expect this facility might operate in a similar fashion. It seems quite logical to me.

CSHIFTLT

Feed Provider
If you a group training, you bring your cache of radios, you have already planned with what freq's you will be using, this is also if you are providing this emergency op service during a emergency, the NIFOG is a great tool used for this. 99% of the radios in the state used by emergency agencies have some type of interop freq. (s), usually the user needs to find it. the training coordinator will usually pick the best freq for the situation. (and most of the time simplex)
Stan

lep

FLETC has been part of Home Land Security since 2003 and I do not know what they are doing at present. Originally set up in 1975 FLETC (at the old Glynco Naval station) basically provides training for 89 different Federal Agencies from courses of a few weeks for guards at the Smithsonian Institution to course of many months in length for Agents of some investigative departments. These were mostly classes for Individual Agents, not group teams. There is a radio system with some channels for base admin and security and other channels for the Trainees in exercises. (The old Air Station runways make nice simulated highways for teaching pursuit driving, for example.) This is organized as an Academy and seems to be a different concept from the facility in Perry. GA. You can sometimes see the students at different shops in Brunswick often wearing FLETC trainee t-shirts. To the best of my knowledge they DO not come with their own radios and I have not heard of them being heard OTA.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Why in the world is there 89 different Federal agencies?

lep

You would have to talk with your Congressperson since most of the Agencies were created by them.

I suspect you could name most of them since many have TV shows named for them. I am a fan of NCIS, for example, it is only thru watching that show that I learned there is a CGIS [coast guard investigative service].

Status
Not open for further replies.