Macon PD gets new radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

Shoulda gone to those meetings.

The article says they'll now be able to communicate with other agencies in the area. They're not going to be communicating with Jones county to name but one.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Certainly not Bibb county since they're going encrypted. Do they really think things out when doing this?? Good Grief!
Larry

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
While I applaud Macon for putting out an RFP, the REAL question is what happened to the overlay they bought in 2006 with mostly SAFECOMM grant money? Where is the hardware now? My understanding is they ran out of money to replace the subscriber radios.

This was a 9600 baud Astro 25 simulcast system, what happened to it? Why wasn't it just reactivated and new subscriber radios procured instead of an entire new network? It's not like it couldn't have been updated to the latest system release and then replace the legacy radios- this certainly had to be cheaper than buying an entire NEW system from the ground up.

Something smells.

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
While I applaud Macon for putting out an RFP, the REAL question is what happened to the overlay they bought in 2006 with mostly SAFECOMM grant money? Where is the hardware now? My understanding is they ran out of money to replace the subscriber radios.

This was a 9600 baud Astro 25 simulcast system, what happened to it? Why wasn't it just reactivated and new subscriber radios procured instead of an entire new network? It's not like it couldn't have been updated to the latest system release and then replace the legacy radios- this certainly had to be cheaper than buying an entire NEW system from the ground up.

Something smells.

it's still there. theres some traffic to it but not much. its linked to original tgid's.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
so why is the city buying a NEW system from Harris and not just upgrading the Astro 25 network in place?

this doesn't make sense.

they are going to have THREE trunking systems when all is said and done.

they have to be the undisputed leader in the "race to waste" if this is true.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Shoulda gone to those meetings.

The article says they'll now be able to communicate with other agencies in the area. They're not going to be communicating with Jones county to name but one.

Lets see, Bibb county borders: Monroe County, UHF (400) analog, Jones county, VHF NXDN, Twiggs county, VHF trbo, Crawford county, VHF analog, so that just leave the small borders of Peach and Houston to possibly be able to "communicate with other agencies in the area" ...Not a very strong selling point to me.....

rapidcharger

Lets see, Bibb county borders: Monroe County, UHF (400) analog, Jones county, VHF NXDN, Twiggs county, VHF trbo, Crawford county, VHF analog, so that just leave the small borders of Peach and Houston to possibly be able to "communicate with other agencies in the area" ...Not a very strong selling point to me.....

From the sounds of it, they're going to buy separate radio systems for interoperability, not a single system. :lol: They're probably either going to give their users 6 different radios or just tell all the other counties to contact them.

Jacob

When Columbia County Sheriff Department updated their radio system they went total encrypted. Man I miss monitoring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.