RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Georgia Radio Discussion Forum

Georgia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Georgia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 8:19 PM

Default Forsyth County

Is it just police that is on the system?
Sponsored links

Old 07-29-2013, 9:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear2005 View Post
Is it just police that is on the system?
SO, FD, and Cumming PD.
Larry
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

From what I'm understanding we should add the Forsyth County 35XXX TG ID's to the Cobb System so if I'm just monitoring the Cobb P25, I will pick up those talk groups. I would add them like the Douglasville Police. Any thought? Otherwise the only way to pick them up is in search mode.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise871 View Post
From what I'm understanding we should add the Forsyth County 35XXX TG ID's to the Cobb System so if I'm just monitoring the Cobb P25, I will pick up those talk groups. I would add them like the Douglasville Police. Any thought? Otherwise the only way to pick them up is in search mode.
Living in Gwinnett, I can't help you on that one, Dan. Maybe B7spectra, or MetroFire31 can check that out.
Larry
Old 07-30-2013, 1:22 PM

Both North and South Dispatch tgs are coming through on Cobb as i'm typing this. I'm actually surprised these talkgroups aren't showing up on UASI...it's only going to be Cobb frequencies apparently. The million dollar tie-in grant that was used does seem to mostly benefit Forsyth at the expense of Cobb since us Cobb taxpayers would be on the hook for wear and tear, maintenance on the main P25 system. Cobb/Forsyth does not routinely do any mutual aid with each other since there is no shared border by a long shot.
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2013, 2:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Both North and South Dispatch tgs are coming through on Cobb as i'm typing this. I'm actually surprised these talkgroups aren't showing up on UASI...it's only going to be Cobb frequencies apparently. The million dollar tie-in grant that was used does seem to mostly benefit Forsyth at the expense of Cobb since us Cobb taxpayers would be on the hook for wear and tear, maintenance on the main P25 system. Cobb/Forsyth does not routinely do any mutual aid with each other since there is no shared border by a long shot.
Don't be so quick to condemn the powers that be at Cobb DPS. This is actually a good move, the first type of IGA of the kind in it's area. This is the first step in building bridges, bridges that have been a long time coming, in public safety radio.

The "wear and tear" is minor, the amount of time that FSY units will spend affiliated on Cobb sites will be minimal, and the administrative work is mostly on their end. The benefit is we now have a unified system that, in typical Cobb county fashion, "we lead, others follow".

When the Fulton DTRS becomes a reality, an IGA will most likely be signed with Fulton county, and that would benefit us GREATLY with needed fill-in coverage, especially on the south side of the county.

Hopefully the arrogant snobs in the "new" Milton county cities (except Johns Creek, who do see the light) will choose to join the new Fulton network and assimilate their resources.

and after all the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on disparate 800MHz trunking systems, we will FINALLY start to see some of that much promised end user interoperability and increased end user coverage the vendors have been hawking for the past two decades.
Old 07-30-2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Living in Gwinnett, I can't help you on that one, Dan. Maybe B7spectra, or MetroFire31 can check that out.
Larry
Not sure what is coming through on the Cobb system from Forsyth as I don't monitor it that much, but nothing from Cobb is currently showing up on the Forsyth system in ID search mode.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

I made some updates to the Cobb system today based on submissions and information provided. If the information is incorrect, please let me know.
Old 08-09-2013, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise871 View Post
I made some updates to the Cobb system today based on submissions and information provided. If the information is incorrect, please let me know.
The Jail on both the Cobb and Forsyth systems should only be 35221. I haven't heard anything on 35211. There used to be a Jail TAC that was rarely used so perhaps that is it, but I've been listening a few hours a day and haven't heard anything on 35211.
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2013, 3:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about what has taken place. These are two separate systems that share a single Smartzone master controller via a microwave hop.

The Forsyth talkgroups will be rarely heard on Cobb sites once the testing and massive reprogramming of subscriber radios on the Forsyth leg are complete, and you will rarely hear any Cobb TG's active on the Forsyth zone, as Cobb officers rarely move out of coverage of their home system into the coverage of Sawnee mountain.

The whole reason Forsyth talkgroups had to be changed was to prevent duplicates that were already in use on the Cobb zone. The UID's also had to be changed because of this, and to enable wide area roaming.

I think it is important (for scanner users) not to be confused when programming their scanners, and thus, the Forsyth and Cobb systems should be listed separately. They do after all, have different RFSS ID's, only the same WACN (as do most Astro 25 networks installed by Motorola in the Atlanta area, for future use of course).

For those unfamiliar, read up on how Smartzone OmniLink roaming works in an Astro 25 system, while this document was prepared for UCAN statewide DTRS in Utah, it's basic principles can be applied here:

http://siec.utah.gov/omnilink/docume...nkTraining.pdf

The key concept is DSA, Dynamic Site Assignment of talkgroups, which is what you experience as a scanner user when you start hearing Forsyth county talkgroups on "Cobb's" system and vice versa. This is the "roaming" between home zones function in action.

You will only hear Cobb talkgroups on FSY sites when the following conditions occur:

1)-a Cobb user who's radio is authorized for wide area roaming enters the coverage area of a Forsyth site, and either manually (from his/her radio) or automatically (if his/her radio is programmed) registers with the network on that roaming site.

2)-DSA will then occur, and the desired talkgroup that wide area user is using will be directed to the roaming zone, so if you are listening on a scanner in that zone, that talkgroup would then become active with that users "home" zone traffic.

3)-DSA will stay in place so long as: the roamer stays registered on the distant site, or if the system is placed into multi-zone simulcast by the system management. DSA will end when the roaming user de-registers, or after a set period of time by the system manager (usually 12-24 hours).

The same is true of Cobb talkgroups on the Forsyth sites. Only when a user requests, or system management institutes this, will you hear Cobb traffic.
This is to conserve RF channel resources on all zones (why bother sending it if no one is listening?)

I hope this clears up the confusion. You Forsyth folks should keep your Forsyth system in a separate bank, and only add the Cobb talkgroups if you're curious when a Cobb user roams onto your sub system and vice versa.

Again, these are two separate sub systems that share a zone controller that enables roaming between the two. In the future, it is possible that other systems become sub systems and join in. (Easier said than done...herding cats anyone?)
Old 08-09-2013, 4:39 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Thanks for the info. The system has be reverted back to the original.
Old 08-09-2013, 9:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

MTS2000des - Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Though most of it goes over my head, it's nice to see someone take the time to explain and share. I appreciate your expertise and professionalism here on the forum.

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2013, 2:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Glad I could help.
Old 08-15-2013, 8:49 AM

Got a quick question about the updated FC system. I heard several units go out on a foot pursuit this morning and they all switched to "Backup 2". I have my PSR 800 set up for open scanning i.e. wildcards, but heard nothing. I only have control channels in the rig right now. Does anyone know if Backup 2 is a TG or a simplex channel that would require having all the listed frequencies in the scanner?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 2:50 PM

Default I'm Lost

I have not had the 800 out in a while. I did updates because all was quite and all went well, not the first time doing them. I hear nothing from Forsyth county so I'm guessing I need to do the ID search mode. well I looking to hard and can't see it or just plan dumb. I've looked in the software and on scanner and can not find ID search mode, I do have a wildcard selected on the software.

I can hear Forsyth County online but nothing on my scanner.

Help

thanks in advance
Sponsored links

Old 08-16-2013, 9:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
I have not had the 800 out in a while. I did updates because all was quite and all went well, not the first time doing them. I hear nothing from Forsyth county so I'm guessing I need to do the ID search mode. well I looking to hard and can't see it or just plan dumb. I've looked in the software and on scanner and can not find ID search mode, I do have a wildcard selected on the software.

I can hear Forsyth County online but nothing on my scanner.

Help

thanks in advance
Add a Wildcard TG to the system. No ID Search for the 800. Do the update and get the new TGID's that are in the database now. There will be a couple of new ones very soon They are not using their old TGID's anymore.
Larry
Old 08-18-2013, 1:44 PM

Thanks for the help Larry, got it going. was driving me crazy trying to find the ID search and that's a short trip.
thanks again