Dawson County, GA VHF P25 DTRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kt4cv

Feed Provider
I knew this was coming. I am surprised they didn't go 700Mhz though. I wonder how they will handle interoperability with surrounding counties for Mutual aid?

N8IAA

Being that they are using VHF, they'll program in the GSP and VHF interop frequencies. Along with the adjoining counties that are also VHF.
But, there are only 4 common frequencies. I am going to program them in a couple of scanners to see when they go live.
Larry

nunyax

The most recent mention of an upgrade from Dawsonnews.com last May had the following:

In a separate matter, the board also approved the allocation of $251,000 to upgrade the local public safety communication system.

Commissioners last September approved the use of 1-cent sales tax revenue in the amount of $641,500 to upgrade the system to meet a federal mandate that requires narrow banding for all public safety frequencies.

According to County Manager Cindy Campbell, the cost of construction was not included in the initial projected rate.

Designed in phases, the upgrades include a new antenna atop the city of Dawsonville's water tower and the construction of a small building for radio equipment. The third and fourth stages would extend the coverage areas on both the county's east and west sides, without requiring new towers.

The overall estimated cost of the project is $3.16 million over 10 years, with a portion to be paid through grants and the remainder funded with revenue from the special purpose local option sales tax, or SPLOST.

Improvements to the county's public safety communication system were tier-one projects on SPLOST V, which was approved by nearly 87 percent of the vote in 2007.

At that time, the plan was for an 800 MHz system that would have allowed connectivity with Forsyth and Hall counties' systems.

The economic downturn, which resulted in fewer than anticipated tax revenue collections, forced officials to re-evaluate and make improvements, instead, to the current system.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Being that are only four actual frequencies, it would be a small trunked system. Maybe I'm missing something when it shows 12 frequencies per site (five sites). So, maybe they are only going narrow banded, and not trunked.
Larry

nunyax

Maybe they screwed up on the application by selecting the "YW - Public Safety Pool, Trunked" radio service. They only show 3 fixed locations, each with 2 FB2s. They did specify both analog and P25 emission designators (11K0F3E, 8K10F1E).

N8IAA

Well, I know they are still on their conventional frequencies. I monitor them most all the time. Hearing them now as I type. Will enter them as conventional to see when they will pop up.
Larry

nunyax

I asked the contact that was listed on Dawson's application if system was supposed to be trunked with additional frequency pairs or would it be conventional. For what it's worth, his reply was "Three phase process that ends with 4 pairs of frequencies and P25 system. Thanks."

TxDuster

Premium Subscriber
Thought I'd pull this thread back up again. My VHF radios I've always monitored Dawson on have been very quiet for the past few days. I have been out of town and when I came back they are dark. I have not checked the freq's listed on the FCC site but wondered if anyone else has been monitoring and if the new system is up and running. I will try to get my P25 scanner programmed when I go home for lunch today.
THOUGHTS?
NR4N

turbojetinfo

Dawson Co.

They started using a new freq Monday and all this week on 155.9325 NBFM as an analog repeater for S.O. and 155.5275 NBFM for EMS. Lots of complaints that they cannot hear dispatch in certain areas.
All of the other freqs listed have been quiet so far including 158.790. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I've updated the database showing what has been heard, but, please don't forget to submit the data as due to me working the night shift, I'm only in here every few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.