Harris radio system/GRE 600 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

oleverette

Premium Subscriber
Scanner working well for years. Bibb County Sheriff going from Motorola Trunk to Harris system. I have entered all frequencies but only receive bits and pieces of transmissions. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help. I am currently using the latest version of the Butel software.
Help !!!

oracavon

By "Harris" system, I expect you mean EDACS. There are different EDACS variations. Some of those variations (such as ESK) can't be properly tracked by some older radios. Which Bibb County are you referring to - the one in Alabama or the one in Georgia? That info will help us look up exactly what type of radio system they are going to.

I see from the title of your post that you have a GRE-600. I'm not familiar with GRE models, but once we know more from you, someone here is likely to be able to help.

Last edited:

oleverette

Premium Subscriber
GRE600

Thanks for the quick reply. I am located near Bibb County Georgia. I have been unable to get any information locally. I put a wildcard in the program and I hear activity but its has lots of digital break-ups. Its not a signal problem because the strength indicator is full scale and I am only 2 miles from one of the simulcast sites. There are 3 locally. Thanks again for your help.
OL

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
GRE 600 & Bibb County, Georgia

After looking at the Central Georgia Interoperable Regional Radio System, I see no reason why you are having difficulty hearing them. Although I use Win500 instead of ARC 500, you should be able to see the talk groups and associated TSYS. I suggest loading all of the system frequencies into your radio.

troymail

Silent Key
fcc.gov for the license is showing a total of 12 frequencies: Load 'em all and see what happens.

Also - this looks like a P25 digital simulvast system which potentially introduces receptions issues.

troymail

Silent Key
By "Harris" system, I expect you mean EDACS. There are different EDACS variations. Some of those variations (such as ESK) can't be properly tracked by some older radios. Which Bibb County are you referring to - the one in Alabama or the one in Georgia? That info will help us look up exactly what type of radio system they are going to.

I see from the title of your post that you have a GRE-600. I'm not familiar with GRE models, but once we know more from you, someone here is likely to be able to help.

I don't believe Harris deploys new EDACS systems -- it's a new digital P25 system.

troymail

Silent Key
Scanner working well for years. Bibb County Sheriff going from Motorola Trunk to Harris system. I have entered all frequencies but only receive bits and pieces of transmissions. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help. I am currently using the latest version of the Butel software.
Help !!!

Assuming you've properly programmed this as a P25 system in your radio, looking at your original description of the problem closer this is almost certainly the now well known (and hated) digital simulcast problem -- or, it could be that some talkgroups are P25 Phase 2 - which the 600 doesn't do.

See also: http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...macon-bibb-fd-moves-again-pd-coming-soon.html

oleverette

Premium Subscriber
Help

I programmed the frequencies manually I have tried all the system settings including p-25 auto, manual,,,Edac and all the rest. I have tried every combination I can think of. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll try anything !!! It just may be that the 600 is not compatable.

charlesdotcc

See the thread referenced above for the correct frequencies for the SO. The database is not accurate right now. I've tried to get them to update it, but for some reason they just won't.

oleverette

Premium Subscriber
Troymail, Thanks for your help. The RR database is missing 5 frequencies. I've still got some digital garbage but Thanks for heading me in the right direction.
Regards, OL

IowaGuy1603

Troymail, Thanks for your help. The RR database is missing 5 frequencies. I've still got some digital garbage but Thanks for heading me in the right direction.
Regards, OL

The rest of your problem is probably "digital simulcast problem " as referenced above.

Try to attenuate your receiver or "downgrade" your antenna.......

What seems to work the best is a directional antenna pointed at one specific tower in a simulcast system

(or if you are in the right place a yagi point 180 degrees AWAY from a tower---if that would be away from the others)

troymail

Silent Key
With regard to the simulcast issues -- I've found that there is usually a "sweet spot" (or a few) you can place your radio (stationary) and get reasonably good reception.... move it a couple of inches and the signal will be gone.

I have radios all over my house monitoring different systems/sites because, well, that's where it works.

mjbjr

Is the gre 600 the same as psr 600?

EDIT....Ok i see they are the same after some RR searching. If I send him my download from my 197,It would work on his ??

mjbjr

I use psrEdit. Try using that one and see if it works for you. Everyone has a reason the one they use works for them,so try others.

oleverette

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Thanks for all the help with my GRE scanner. Many of the suggestions were correct. All of the frequencies in use were not in the database. I had to change some receive thresholds to help with the garble I was hearing. I also had to re orient the antenna and aimed it halfway between two transmit sites. It's not perfect but it is much better. Thanks for all the input and help. Oleverette

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks for all the help with my GRE scanner. Many of the suggestions were correct. All of the frequencies in use were not in the database. I had to change some receive thresholds to help with the garble I was hearing. I also had to re orient the antenna and aimed it halfway between two transmit sites. It's not perfect but it is much better. Thanks for all the input and help. Oleverette

Good to hear. Hopefully, if you've confirmed that some frequencies need to be added to the database, you've submitted those changes/updates/confirmation.

charlesdotcc

The database is all messed up. I submitted the correct information to the admin's a month or two ago. The first time he entered it, it was incorrect. I tried to submit a correction that got no acknowledgement and didn't seem to get input. Now I see there's been another update within the last week (source unknown), and it makes things even worse.

I would submit my same info again, but I don't know how to change it to make it more clear, and I don't know how many other people are trying to send him possibly conflicting information at the same time and making things worse.

What I believe is the right frequency information is posted earlier in this thread under my name, "charlesdotcc".

Status
Not open for further replies.