Captain Herb Emory Passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

A sad day in the metro ATL. Captain Herb Emory has died of a massive heart attack trying to help victims of a bad crash.

He will sorely be missed with his daily traffic shows.

Captain Herb, my God bless you.
Larry

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
I heard the whole incident on the scanner an had no idea it was him at the time.

The call of an accident with entrapment on Burnt Hickory and McKown Rd. The Captain lives just up the road there. Once on the scene, the fire dept. called for a helicopter and another rescue unit to respond. The first rescue was performing CPR on a person unrelated to the accident. They later left with the Captain to Douglas Wellstar where they were still trying to revive him. What I heard on the state H.E.A.R. was that they had him intubated and would be at the hospital in 5 minutes. The helicopter was for another patient involved in the accident.

I often saw him at community events. Not long ago I was on the scene of a terrible accident where 4 medical helicopters were called in. I saw a white SUV decked out with several antennas and a dash full of scanners. I went over to give a friendly harassment to the driver for chasing accidents when I noticed Captain Herb in the drivers seat. No harassment was needed, but we nearly shed tears as we learned of the terrible tragedy of that accident. It was there I learned (at 10:30pm) that he wasn't just someone who reported the traffic from a helicopter at 6:00 in the morning, but that he was a man that truly cared about people he didn't even know. A man with a BIG heart.

The Captain will be missed for sure. A big THANK YOU to him and his family for being such a fine example of what it means to be an involved citizen who truly loves his community.

May you rest in peace Captain.

CapStar362

such a sad event.... as a child i remember he would FLY the jet ranger to events to show it and would give a small comedy skit about the bird itself... the man was a true commitment to the community....

side note: what was the persons name for Fox 5? who died years ago?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Keith Kallahn - liver failure.

As a former traffic reporter, Captain Herb and I were in the helicopter together for a long time. I met him in 1986ish when he was working at WQXI (Quixie - before it became Star 94), and he got me into traffic reporting. There was no finer man, he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.

401 - you will be missed!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
What I take away is this: life is too short and Captain Herb epitomized the idea of serving others all the way to his very untimely end. He had a choice to just sit back and like most others, when something bad happens, just JAFO or do nothing.

He chose to do what he could: notify and go assist. This is the TRUE HUMAN SPIRIT of helping others without pretense. He died doing what he loved.

He loved this town, and he was always a POSITIVE voice even in the sea of negativity that is this turd traffic that our city has become famous for. He also spoke to officials and spoke their language, and WARNED that our uncontrolled growth will continue to degrade our quality of life. I did not know this until an interview he did about a year ago aired on WSB-TV last night.

I was never as fortunate to have worked with him Mike as you did, I did meet him back in 2006 when working the Salute to America Parade when WC4RAV provided logistics support for that event. What Ross Cavitt said yesterday about him "making you feel like the top of the world" whether you were the governor himself or a blue collar worker, is so true. Having met him back then was an honor.

Morning drives will suck that much more, those are some shoes that will never be filled. WSB has some great traffic talent but there will NEVER be another person that grand.

RIP Captain. I salute you.

ngawx

What I take away is this: life is too short and Captain Herb epitomized the idea of serving others all the way to his very untimely end. He had a choice to just sit back and like most others, when something bad happens, just JAFO or do nothing.

He chose to do what he could: notify and go assist. This is the TRUE HUMAN SPIRIT of helping others without pretense. He died doing what he loved.

He loved this town, and he was always a POSITIVE voice even in the sea of negativity that is this turd traffic that our city has become famous for. He also spoke to officials and spoke their language, and WARNED that our uncontrolled growth will continue to degrade our quality of life. I did not know this until an interview he did about a year ago aired on WSB-TV last night.

I was never as fortunate to have worked with him Mike as you did, I did meet him back in 2006 when working the Salute to America Parade when WC4RAV provided logistics support for that event. What Ross Cavitt said yesterday about him "making you feel like the top of the world" whether you were the governor himself or a blue collar worker, is so true. Having met him back then was an honor.

Morning drives will suck that much more, those are some shoes that will never be filled. WSB has some great traffic talent but there will NEVER be another person that grand.

RIP Captain. I salute you.

You are so correct, the morning drive will never be the same again. RIP Captian.

CapStar362

i have met both Keith and Herb, when i was CAP years ago as the CAP GA Wing Rotor Wing pilot, my bird and all the news birds sat @ KPDK when not flying... lots of good talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.