Whitfield County to study new radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

$32k for a study.
In a county with just over 100,000 population.

I can't help but think they could just reach out to the local two way radio dealerships and say we have poor coverage in this area, what are our options for fixing it? Submit a proposal. That would cost zero. And they already know what they need. They need two way radio service and they need to fix coverage gaps.

Instead the study is going to come back with a recommendation of $7.2 million dollar 800 mhz digital trunking system. That only one or two agencies are going to use anyway.

Broken calculators.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Terrible

$32k for a study.
In a county with just over 100,000 population.

I can't help but think they could just reach out to the local two way radio dealerships and say we have poor coverage in this area, what are our options for fixing it? Submit a proposal. That would cost zero. And they already know what they need. They need two way radio service and they need to fix coverage gaps.

Instead the study is going to come back with a recommendation of $7.2 million dollar 800 mhz digital trunking system. That only one or two agencies are going to use anyway.

Broken calculators.

They only have problems during the winter, spring, summer and fall !!!!

I live here in Whitfield County and listen to them on a regular basis. The Sheriff's department is really the only system that is having problems. Dalton PD, Dalton Fire, Whitfield Co Fire and the EMS can be heard for nearly 50 miles away. As well as the Road Depts and Utility companies. I understand that there are currently two repeaters for the Sheriff's department, one on the north end and the other on the south end of the county.

The north end repeater I can hear while traveling as far south as Cobb County. I can barely make out any transmissions on the south end repeater, which I live only about 4 miles from.

rapidcharger

They only have problems during the winter, spring, summer and fall !!!!

I live here in Whitfield County and listen to them on a regular basis. The Sheriff's department is really the only system that is having problems. Dalton PD, Dalton Fire, Whitfield Co Fire and the EMS can be heard for nearly 50 miles away. As well as the Road Depts and Utility companies. I understand that there are currently two repeaters for the Sheriff's department, one on the north end and the other on the south end of the county.

The north end repeater I can hear while traveling as far south as Cobb County. I can barely make out any transmissions on the south end repeater, which I live only about 4 miles from.

Well if you enjoy monitoring those agencies, I suggest you keep your eyes on this and when a public meeting is held to discuss migration due to "Federal Mandate!" and "Antiquated Technology!", you will attend that meeting and educate the decision makers just like you educated all of us here with your last post.

My point was I don't think it takes an expensive study to figure out what the problem is here or what is needed. A 4 year old could figure it out. Walkie Talkie no workie. RFP time.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
They could easily save the 32 grand they will waste with Tusa and make a few calls to communications managers in Dade and Walker counties and ask them how they like TACN, and how much those counties have spent on the procurement of subscriber radios and infrastructure for TACN in their area.

Then they can pull out their handy Texas Instruments TI-108 and compare the cost of replacing their existing system with a new separate, disparate one or adding the sites needed for TACN, subscriber radios, and user fees and see what is a better deal.

BTW, governments. Save your money on these fraud artists "consultants" and buy these instead:

Texas Instruments TI-108 Basic Calculator - SchoolMart

Then contact the math department at your local board of education for remedial math classes and instructions on how to use a calculator. Or go here:

How to Use a Simple Calculator | eHow

jim202

They could easily save the 32 grand they will waste with Tusa and make a few calls to communications managers in Dade and Walker counties and ask them how they like TACN, and how much those counties have spent on the procurement of subscriber radios and infrastructure for TACN in their area.

Then they can pull out their handy Texas Instruments TI-108 and compare the cost of replacing their existing system with a new separate, disparate one or adding the sites needed for TACN, subscriber radios, and user fees and see what is a better deal.

BTW, governments. Save your money on these fraud artists "consultants" and buy these instead:

Texas Instruments TI-108 Basic Calculator - SchoolMart

Then contact the math department at your local board of education for remedial math classes and instructions on how to use a calculator. Or go here:

How to Use a Simple Calculator | eHow

I guess you don't understand the issues with designing radio systems. Leave it to the vendor and your going to get the corn cob where it really hurts with no bear grease. Those agencies that have tried to do the design of a system their selves have always been led down the vendor's bank account path by the radio vendor they used.

The help and expertise a consultant can provide will save an agency a pile of money and they will end up with a much better radio system before it's all said and done. Before you go bashing consultants, maybe you should compare different agencies and their results on if they used a consultant or didn't use a consultant. However, I will say that there are good consulting companies and then there are those that just have their hands out for a free ride to the bank. In the consulting business, if you don't do a good job, you don't last long. Your reputation is where the work comes from.

It's also the consultants job to see that the correct equipment and materials are used. Take for example, along the Gulf Coast, you can expect to see hurricane force winds frequently. This means the radio tower design needs to be in the order of 140 to 155 MPH at least. You also need to make sure the microwave dishes and antennas have half a chance of working and surviving these kinds of winds. If a vendor goes and supplies a microwave dish that is only rated for 64 MPH, it won't fit the requirements. So someone needs to watch for these small things that can kill a functioning radio system early on in a storm. The job of the consultant is to make sure the vendor toes the line and follows what the project specs are. Do you think an agency can do this without the experience of someone that has been doing this kind of work for a long time?

Last edited:

rapidcharger

The consultants may come up with something that makes sense or often in my experience it is restating the painfully obvious, but if the decisions makers go and do something else, which happens frequently in this state, it's all for naught.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I guess you don't understand the issues with designing radio systems..

Designed and maintained many for former and current employers, thank you.

. Leave it to the vendor and your going to get the corn cob where it really hurts with no bear grease..

Then it's time to find a new vendor. Not ALL vendors are sleazy scumbags. Not all radio shops are either. But I cannot say the same about so-called "consultants" which usually have friendly ties to the very same sleazy vendors that "corn cobb and grease" their customers.

The help and expertise a consultant can provide will save an agency a pile of money and they will end up with a much better radio system before it's all said and done. .

The help and expertise of an educated, vetted in house employee can do the same thing, for less money, and total transparency. Happens everyday. Please don't ASSume every public safety communications agency are staffed by morons.

. Before you go bashing consultants, maybe you should compare different agencies and their results on if they used a consultant or didn't use a consultant.

Easy, plenty of agencies have in house people and don't need to bring in high paid consultants everytime they begin a project. The city of Marietta, GA is one. Maybe the radio system analyst on staff will chime in. He is on here.

. However, I will say that there are good consulting companies and then there are those that just have their hands out for a free ride to the bank. In the consulting business, if you don't do a good job, you don't last long. Your reputation is where the work comes from.

True, there are some good folks, but there are also many worthless firms that are just stooges for those same vendors. They produce skewed, costly and planned results that always somehow seem to point contracts and projects to that particular vendor.

When you start looking at the bios of those on these small firms, you don't need that TI-108 basic calculator to do the math and figure out why.

It's also the consultants job to see that the correct equipment and materials are used. Take for example, along the Gulf Coast, you can expect to see hurricane force winds frequently. This means the radio tower design needs to be in the order of 140 to 155 MPH at least. You also need to make sure the microwave dishes and antennas have half a chance of working and surviving these kinds of winds. If a vendor goes and supplies a microwave dish that is only rated for 64 MPH, it won't fit the requirements. So someone needs to watch for these small things that can kill a functioning radio system early on in a storm..

and that person should be the one who is paid a salary by the agency to oversee their emergency communications. That is why COM-L, COM-T and GROL should be requirements for an E-911 director. One should know this stuff IN HOUSE and not rely on a vendor or their appointed consultant to run their show. The vendor should only be there to sell you the parts and put them together. You should have staff with the right experience, training and certifications to do it in house whenever possible.

The job of the consultant is to make sure the vendor toes the line and follows what the project specs are. Do you think an agency can do this without the experience of someone that has been doing this kind of work for a long time?

Yes, the can and do it everyday. Agencies like NYC, LA and other cities use in house project managers and staff to handle their own and don't need to hand out hundreds of thousands of dollars just to have some vendor friendly consulting firm tell them what they need to buy.

That is called EFFICIENCY and COMPETENCY in government. Sorry if this may put you in the unemployment line. But that is what is truly needed around here.

CapStar362

GAWD!! lay it in MTS!

ive noticed a bit unusual flow of hating on MTS for the last week in time... what did you do bro ;)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Maybe be honest:confused:
Larry

Larry, I don't mince words. You know this by now I am sure.

The way public safety radio systems are procured needs to change. Consultants have their place, but often times they can create more problems than they solve.

What needs to evolve is the culture of our governments wasting money in this cronie system. First it takes people on staff who are competent, then it takes checks and balances in place to ensure integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.