Gwinnett County Fire to go encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7StoryMTN

Premium Subscriber
Anybody hear anything regarding Gwinnett Fire going encrypted like the PD is already? I heard they are in the process of switching over. Was that always the plan?

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Still picking them up on my xts2500...not encrypted at this time..

Sent via LG G2 on Sprint 4G LTE Spark

7StoryMTN

Premium Subscriber
Good to know. Thx. I'm not sure what the time frame is but I hear they are planning to encrypt. Just the rumor I'm hearing. I'll ask one of the fire bubba's next time I see them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N8IAA

Good to know. Thx. I'm not sure what the time frame is but I hear they are planning to encrypt. Just the rumor I'm hearing. I'll ask one of the fire bubba's next time I see them.

Six years ago, when the P-25 system came online, everyone, including the FD was encrypted.
Fortunately, when they couldn't communicate with Hall, Forsyth, DeKalb, and Fulton counties, they went in the clear.
They do, however, have encrypted hospital TGID's.
I doubt that they would encrypt again and not be able to communicate with all the other counties again. Love to know where you got this scuttlebutt.
Larry

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
What it takes for Gwinnett FD to encrypt:
SUBSCRIBER SIDE:Rotate the "coded/clear" concentric switch shown below to the "coded" position.

FNE: So long as the talkgroups are configured in Provisioning Manager as secure capable, and the consoles are provisioned as such, encryption is just a click of the mouse/flip of the switch on the subscriber radio.

Wonder what prompted the change? Too many whackers showing up at fire calls? Too many media trucks arriving before first due in?

IMG_7147.JPG

7StoryMTN

Premium Subscriber
What it takes for Gwinnett FD to encrypt:
SUBSCRIBER SIDE:Rotate the "coded/clear" concentric switch shown below to the "coded" position.

FNE: So long as the talkgroups are configured in Provisioning Manager as secure capable, and the consoles are provisioned as such, encryption is just a click of the mouse/flip of the switch on the subscriber radio.

Wonder what prompted the change? Too many whackers showing up at fire calls? Too many media trucks arriving before first due in?

View attachment 48616

Thx MTS. It is just a rumor at the moment. Not sure why they would be considering. Wonder if that firefighter hostage situation has anything to do with it. This info needs to be confirmed though. I'm just guessing.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Thx MTS.Wonder if that firefighter hostage situation has anything to do with it. This info needs to be confirmed though. I'm just guessing.

Or maybe they are just following this lead:

DC Fire Department radios encrypted - One final 'screw you' from Deputy Mayor Quander - Statter911

The hostage situation was horrible, but how would encrypting dispatch/fireground traffic have prevented it? It wouldn't. Was there any evidence in that case the perp was using a scanner?

If anything, he used one of the firefighters' radios during the incident.

Let us know if you hear anything further.

rapidcharger

Probably NOT going encrypted
BUT
They are in their early stages of planning to throw tens of millions more dollars away going to phase two.

Then it won't matter unless you've got over $500 to get one of the 3 available scanners that claim to decode phase 2.

N8IAA

Probably NOT going encrypted
BUT
They are in their early stages of planning to throw tens of millions more dollars away going to phase two.

Then it won't matter unless you've got over $500 to get one of the 3 available scanners that claim to decode phase 2.

So, six years is now EOL for P-25 systems? Holy cow! Motherola sure has this county in a grip:mad:
They'll be saying that another SPLOST is needed to upgrade the current system to make the officers and emergency personnel safe. And to allow interop:lol:
I haven't voted for a SPLOST for over a decade.
Larry

N8IAA

So, six years is now EOL for P-25 systems? Holy cow! Motherola sure has this county in a grip:mad:
They'll be saying that another SPLOST is needed to upgrade the current system to make the officers and emergency personnel safe. And to allow interop:lol:
Larry

I future proofed a few years ago and got a PSR-800.
And, rapidcharger, they do decode Phase II.
There are/will be four+ scanners that will do Phase II. The Uniden x36HP junkers that are know going cheap here on RR, the HP-2, and Whistler 1080/1095.
Larry

R

retiredmich

Boy now that's different, a Fire Department encrypted ? may be too many people are FD CHASER's ?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
eh, it's a Gwinnett county thing. The mentality of public officials is pretty clear: they don't want to be bothered keeping citizens informed of what goes on in their county, even when their safety might be at risk.

The county commission chair is quoted as being "too darn conservative" when asked why the county refuses to use social media to inform citizens of major incidents, such as the ice storm that crippled this region in January of this year.

Gwinnett County looking at using social media after snow storms | www.wsbtv.com

As Larry said, the entire GWC 800 DTRS was encrypted system wide when first implemented in 2008.

If they do go back to encrypting fire talkgroups, maybe someone can ask Charlotte Nash when they plan on using Twitter, Facebook, Nixle, etc like they said they would "consider" doing.

Because that has yet to happen.

rapidcharger

So, six years is now EOL for P-25 systems? )))

I don't know if it's due to being EOL'd or not. If I'm not mistaken Cobb County is in the stages of switching to phase two and I don't believe that was due to being EOL. I think they just wanted to waste $13 million dollars.

(((Holy cow! Motherola sure has this county in a grip:mad:
Not just the county, the entire country.

(((They'll be saying that another SPLOST is needed to upgrade the current system to make the officers and emergency personnel safe. And to allow interop:lol:
Larry
That's good to hear. I have never voted for additional sales tax and I never will. You can see what they do with it around here.

I future proofed a few years ago and got a PSR-800.
And, rapidcharger, they do decode Phase II.
There are/will be four+ scanners that will do Phase II. The Uniden x36HP junkers that are know going cheap here on RR, the HP-2, and Whistler 1080/1095.
Larry

The second I get a phase II scanner, they'll move on to phase III. Or they will encrypt again. I did everyone a favor when I gave up on the cat and mouse game when they went to p25 trunking. They don't want to be monitored. They're obviously ashamed of whatever it is they're doing. I'll respect those wishes and go do something else. I hear there is a new hobby whereby people go out in their yards with a leafblower and sway it back and forth and up and down while they thrust their hips and they do this for 4 or 5 hours at a time. A growing number of neighbs are doing it. Looks like a lot of fun.

eh, it's a Gwinnett county thing. The mentality of public officials is pretty clear: they don't want to be bothered keeping citizens informed of what goes on in their county, even when their safety might be at risk.

I agree they don't want to keep citizens informed of what is going on, including important notices pertaining to life and safety. But I don't believe it's just a Gwinnett County thing. And don't think for a second you're hearing everything you'd want to know about from your county's nixle alerts or their PIO.

It's a most-of-the country thing.

pepsima1

Banned
Just wait for another furgesson riot again in one of these cities or counties where they are fully digital encrypted and they will be crippled to their knees. O well its their problem and they can scramble to figure out on how to use their encrypted radios and talk to other agencies. And who cares if they have conventional interops. Those frequencies will be so overloaded that it will fail too.

jim202

Sounds like another fine series of wine and dine, sing on the line by the radio vendors. The sales force bank accounts just got a bunch fatter.

Upper management will believe anything the radio vendors say, whether they need it or not.

pepsima1

Banned
Thats why Motorola hires only the best sales force.

They probably hire sales people that can sell "ice water to an eskimo"

K4SVT

Banned
radio

my xts2500 is not hacked it is set up a way that it just scans talkgroups off a conventional channel..high powered scanner they say..i been told this is not illegal..

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

The county commission chair is quoted as being "too darn conservative" when asked why the county refuses to use social media to inform citizens of major incidents, such as the ice storm that crippled this region in January of this year.

Gwinnett County looking at using social media after snow storms | www.wsbtv.com

Hate to bump my own posts, but has Gwinnett county done anything to improve it's communications with citizens as the second "Icemageddon" bears down on the area as I write this?

According to the WSB-TV report, many citizens felt they were not informed to rapidly changing road and ice conditions, and looked to county officials to improve their communications through social media.

I checked Gwinnett county's Facebook and twitter accounts and didn't see anything posted.

rapidcharger

Hate to bump my own posts, but has Gwinnett county done anything to improve it's communications with citizens as the second "Icemageddon" bears down on the area as I write this?

According to the WSB-TV report, many citizens felt they were not informed to rapidly changing road and ice conditions, and looked to county officials to improve their communications through social media.

I checked Gwinnett county's Facebook and twitter accounts and didn't see anything posted.

It's not just Gwinnett county. It's most counties. Even the ones with nixle accounts don't update them that often although I understand that because Marietta is a high crime area (according to you) and they have a lot of urgent notices to put out (again, according to you), and there aren't enough cops (according to you) that they do so rather frequently.

It isn't really the county's job to keep you up to date on everything. That is what the media is for. There are other agencies who are tasked with keeping people abreast of the situation with weather hazards and that agency is called the National Weather Service. They serve our county with not one, but two noaa weather/ all hazards radio frequencies depending on where you are in the county.

Having been without power for 18 hours during the ice storm and having to conserve resources such as generator fuel for the important things like heat and refrigeration, I didn't want to waste gas running a tv or computer so that I can check in to anti-social-media. Instead I turned on the local radio and the NOAA weather /all hazards radio station WXJ53.

I know this may be hard for you to believe but I know since you live in "Crime Central", which is what your location is specified as on the forums, not all places have people walking around wielding knives and guns, shooting people, posing as cops, there isn't another apartment fire every 90 seconds and craigslist deals don't turn deadly. Therefore you may have a genuine need for that sort of service there in a high crime area but in the lower crime areas where we can leave our doors unlocked and where the cops don't harass us for running stop signs that don't exist and where the cops actually respect and defend our right to photograph them instead of follow citizen journalists around the city like when Jeff Gray visited your county, then I guess that's the tradeoff. They can stick to the basics of providing basic limited government and leave the rest of it up to someone else. I can live with that. That's why I live here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.