Georgia police channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smx

Does anyone have an a Georgia channel that they know that works that I can test my radio to see if it's getting anything. I have a Baofeng. Uv-82

Thanks

Ryangn

"a Georgia channel" is extremely vague. You will need to be much more specific than that. I can give you a lot of Georgia channels that work but if you live on the other side of the state they won't do you much good. You have to let us know where you are so we can better help you however if you don't want to do that then you could check out the database as most of those are good - at least for my area. Another thing you could use is the NOAA frequency that is closest to you.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Gwinnett county public safety is entirely encrypted and on a digital 800MHz trunking system.

So, what exactly are you wanting to listen to? On that side of town, you pretty much can write off most public safety, many businesses such as the Mall of Georgia are also using digital radios so your Baofeng won't receive them either.

Maybe someone else in Gwinnett can give you some conventional analog stuff to try, from what I hear, even many once popular ham stuff has now migrated to digital voice either NXDN, System Fusion, or DMR.

Really sucks to live there if you own a scanner.

Smx

What I'm trying to get is someone in the Gwinnett area to give me a channel that they monitor. At this point it's just about me knowing the radio is set up correctly to receive. After I know the radio is set up correctly I can got through the data base on this website till I find something that works for my area.

ButchGone

What are you trying to do with the transceiver? Do you have an amateur radio license?
Are you trying to transmit? What do you want to hear?
BG..

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
What I'm trying to get is someone in the Gwinnett area to give me a channel that they monitor. At this point it's just about me knowing the radio is set up correctly to receive. After I know the radio is set up correctly I can got through the data base on this website till I find something that works for my area.

Try 154.070. That's Gwinnett EMA and you can hear it just about all over the county.

Smx

Try 154.070. That's Gwinnett EMA and you can hear it just about all over the county.

Well I tried that frequency and nothing. So this is what I was trying to find out. If your saying that it is a active channel and I'm not hearing anything well I have some set up wrong on the radio. Like I'm I to have this frequency on VHF or UHF, SQL is set to 8 is that to high or too low? Is CTCS is suppose to be set? When I had it set on a channel yesterday it would light up like as if it was receiving a signal but I wasn't getting any audio. If I press the monitor button on the side I don't hear anything just static.

N8IAA

That is quite funny. Someone gives you a frequency that is rarely ever used.
I would suggest some of the ham frequencies, but, they are hardly used. Even with the weather that moved through this afternoon, Gwinnett Skywarn is even sporadic.
You don't need to set any CTCSS/DCS. You will hear whatever is on the frequency without those settings. And, yes, a squelch setting that high will knock down the signal quite a bit.
MTS2000des has it correct. There is nothing analog to monitor.
I live in the county, and I'm glad that I have digital, P-25 scanners to monitor the GSP, DNR, Hall and Forsyth counties.
The radio you have doesn't even scan the VHF airband. You would have been better served to buy a $99 scanner.
It's been more than seven years since you could monitor analog, conventional in Gwinnett.
Oh, you could listen to FRS.
Larry

rapidcharger

Open the the squelch more to the point it just barely doesn't make static and forget about ctcss. You don't need to worry about that.
Scan 460-470 and you should hear quite a bit of business activity as well as transportation. Especially if you are on the south end of the county. Just about every public school in the county has a repeater with several miles coverage because spending money on things that aren't needed is a big priority in Gwinnett. The school buses are on a analog trunking system you can monitor. Schools are seasonal obviously so you got a couple months before that comes back. You should also have no trouble hearing stuff in the ham band 145-148 and 440-447 even if it isn't emanating from Gwinnett. With a decent base station antenna you can pick up some police and fire from the extreme north Georgia counties in 150-159 but that isn't terribly exciting compared to the big city. You might also think about the software defined radios which will open up the digital world for you on the cheap but that is a more advanced part of the hobby.

Last edited:

Smx

Well that's sad news, but that's what I need to be sure. Knowing that the radio is fine just nothing to monitor. That sucks.....but thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. I keep look for channel to monitor hopefully I will find something other than school busses. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.