BCD536HP Garble Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAYNE1949

Hello everyone ,I have a question on this BCD536HP very hard to understand traffic from the Macon/Bibb Central Georgia Interoperable Regional Radio System ,sounds fine on the internet live audio feed, is there any adjustments or tricks that can help with this issue ?
Thanks
Wayne

Last edited:

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Check on the forums for the multipath issues with digital scanners. I'm not sure where you're located in reference to the tower sites but your scanner may be receiving multiple transmissions from the different tower sites of the same frequency and the scanner is not smart enough to only listen to one tower so it has to accept all those transmissions which may "confuse" the scanner and make the transmissions garbled.

Try this: Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Try moving your scanner to a different location or try a directional antenna to eliminate interference.

ButchGone

Try adjusting the P25 settings. This means going into the menus a few layers deep. Select your system, then select sites. I'm assuming the Macon/Bibb system is simulcast, so select that site. You will see menu items called P25 Threshold and P25 Adjustment. Change from "auto" to "manual" and set the level to 7. I have found that setting works on many P25 simulcast systems, but your mileage may vary and you might find a lower or higher value works for your particular system. Also, try changing the location of your 536, or adjust the antenna - for 700,800mhz systems keeping the antenna short is typically better. Using a gain antenna can actually make things worse in some cases.
What kind of signal strength do you see for this system?
BG..

WAYNE1949

Try adjusting the P25 settings. This means going into the menus a few layers deep. Select your system, then select sites. I'm assuming the Macon/Bibb system is simulcast, so select that site. You will see menu items called P25 Threshold and P25 Adjustment. Change from "auto" to "manual" and set the level to 7. I have found that setting works on many P25 simulcast systems, but your mileage may vary and you might find a lower or higher value works for your particular system. Also, try changing the location of your 536, or adjust the antenna - for 700,800mhz systems keeping the antenna short is typically better. Using a gain antenna can actually make things worse in some cases.
What kind of signal strength do you see for this system?
BG..

ButchGone
I have excellent signal strength ,and have reset P25 settings as you recommended .I also set up a favorite list and monitor only this simulcast system with 0 squelch moved the scanner around a bit it works great right now .
Thanks for your help
Wayne

WAYNE1949

The feed sound's great, mine sound's a little garbled still I noticed that most of the time you can here the dispatcher but not the response from the Officer .

mjbjr

Im not too familiar with this stuff but you might be missing a channel. Have you downloaded everything to your scanner? Reason I ask is Ive had mine running for a long time,then for some reason I started only getting parts of the conversation. I downloaded everything again and now it works fine.

JoeyC

The 536HP has a terrible time opening and closing squelch during back and forth transmissions on digital signals that are short. So, you will often miss the simple "10-4" or other short replies that real radios or other scanners would otherwise have no problem with.

Radio-Man

I have both the 536 and the Whistler 1095 scanners. Comparing them side by side is a real hoot! As far as decoding is concerned, the 1095 does a better job. Both of the scanners do well but the 536 is more easily "thrown off" sync for some reason.
By the way, do you think Uniden could ever read the correct time off the GPS signal? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.