Dekalb County

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkspear

Hey Chuck,
What type of radio or scanner are you using? I was going to ask pretty much the same thing, I am wondering if they are encrypted? I dont have a digital scanner, but I do have a RTL-SDR dongle and run unitrunker with DSD+. I am able to receive Dekalb's control frequency and I see the talk groups pop up in unitrunker, but I have not gotten any audio from them at all. Oh, and I am also in Stone Mountain.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
Dekalb

I'm using a 536HP and 996XT, I think their whole system was down today, they seem to be back partially. I started hearing PD and Fire this afternoon. Very spotty. I'm on East side of SM.

PACNWDude

Was this an entire radio outage, all radio traffic across the board being out?

Just curious, have noted some PSAP's that have had this happen to them. They tend to have similar gear and configuration of interconnect equipment for their radios.

N8IAA

Anyone having trouble copying Dekalb County? I stop hearing them a few weeks ago.

When you say weeks ago, how long is that? I was there on the 26th of May, and my wife shut the scanner off while I was in HRO. She said it was too much traffic while she was on her phone.
Larry

bkspear

Well I guess that answers my question about encryption, sounds like they are not encrypted. I'm not sure why I'm not hearing audio then, maybe it is my antenna and too much noise. Like I said , I can see the talk groups show up, but just not getting any voice audio. Thanks.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
I dunno what type of outage. I was not seeing any data for a while on all the channels. I live on the East side of the granite and I have a wideband discone up only 15 ft off the deck. I can hear Cobb, GSP, and Walton, some Henry and Clayton and Dekalb. All Gwinnett is Encrypted. SM blocks Fulton, ATL and anything West.

bkspear

Chuck,
I am also on the East side of Stone Mnt and I just recently got a BCD996P2 scanner and I am pretty disappointed that I am not hearing much of anything. I guess I need to get an external antenna. Picking up Dekalb County is very spotty along with Cobb, very minimal traffic. Since the 996P2 is very similar to the XT you have, can you share any advice or tips for tuning the scanner to receive all the traffic you get? Thanks.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
It's a matter of antenna placement. I am surrounded by all the dang trees on all side except the East. I have an outside antenna which is a wideband discone, but recently have had to use an inside antenna to get Dekalb. I only get GSP, Dekalb (spotty) Cobb, and some of Henry. Moving the antenna a few inches either gets me in or nothing! When I'm mobile, I can come out on rockbridge and hear Fulton, Cobb, Dekalb. When I get to the 78, all come in including zone 6 ATL. I can go further into Gwinnett and lose everything but GSP. It's a turkey shoot!

bkspear

Chuck,
I am surrounded by trees as well. Can you tell me what your inside antenna is as well as your mobile? Dekalb is spotty for me along with Cobb. I can pull in MARTA and Stone Mountain Park with no issues at all. I havent heard any traffic from GSP or Henry county. I am thinking of maybe getting an outdoor yagi antenna that is specefic for 800Mhz, it also says it has a 10db gain so hopefully the boost will help. Thanks for your info.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
It is a homemade widget I got off Ebay, no name. The mobile is a Tri-Band Diamond 2-440-1200 antenna. I don't hear as much activity as I did a couple of years ago. I live right on the Dekalb-Gwinnette line and don't get a lot of anythin since Gwinnette went encrypted. Also Rockdale and Henry are too.

Status
Not open for further replies.