Muscogee County going to P25 Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaycock

The current Motorola SmartZone system is going to be replaced with a P25 P2 system.
We know this for sure, what we don't know is when, has anyone heard anything about this transition?

Karl-NVW

Just as with P25 Phase 1, individual field radios can optionally be encrypted. A basic backbone is typically not automatically so equipped unless required in the purchaser's specifications.

N8IAA

I'll ask a dumb question, but is P25 Phase 2 encrypted? I have a BCD396XT.

Wouldn't matter. As you probably know, the 396XT won't receive Phase II. But, any P-25 system, conventional/trunked, can be encrypted.
The common thinking is that Phase II would be automatically encrypted. Not always the case.
Larry

KAPcsg

Letter from the Mayor

Two weeks ago I wrote a letter to the Mayor and the Police Chief, voicing my concern about Columbus moving to an encrypted system. Today I received a letter from the Mayor, stating that they will be moving to P25 Phase2, but that it will NOT be encrypted.

This is good news, except that I will have to buy a new scanner to pick up Phase2.

chaycock

Two weeks ago I wrote a letter to the Mayor and the Police Chief, voicing my concern about Columbus moving to an encrypted system. Today I received a letter from the Mayor, stating that they will be moving to P25 Phase2, but that it will NOT be encrypted.

This is good news, except that I will have to buy a new scanner to pick up Phase2.

Thank you for that information, we have been wondering about it. Did they by chance tell you when they would be moving to the new system?

Also, I don't suppose they gave you the new talkgroup identifiers did they? lol

KD4YGG

Database Admin
System went on-line yesterday 04-Oct-2016.

ko4yd

Muscogee County Phase II

I understand that their system went to Phase II yesterday. But before I go and buy a new scanner, did they encrypt it as well?

ko4yd

I got a new Uniden BCD996P2 scanner and it does receive the new Phase II. However, the reception for the Columbus PD groups seems very 'choppy', or 'scratchy'. Anyone have any ideas how I can overcome this?

joejo95

Premium Subscriber
I am over in Phenix City out in the the Ladonia area and am getting it good like the old system with my outside ant. But on my rubber ducky like you say real 'choppy', or 'scratchy'.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Most likely P25 LSM simulcast distortion.

Lots of other posts and discussions on this phenomenon in the forums.

seth21w

Yeah phase 2 sucks reception wise compared to phase 1 plus phase 2 has annoying volume level problems. The best scanner for phase 2 is gonna be 436 or 536 ask me how i know lol.

ko4yd

This is not good news. I can't spend any more money on this. Oh well... At least the 'conventional' reception in my area improved with the 996P2. Thanks....

gclarke6

Premium Subscriber
Not receiving P25 phase ii system

I have the Uniden BCD436HP and it says it P25 phase ii compatible and I have programmed the new Muscogee P25 system using the BCD sentinel software to the scanner and it is not receiving any transmissions. I could receive Columbus on the old system any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.