BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio. I know i'v seen a ton about licensing, but I went to the FCC website, and according to them to use the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) you do not need a license. Therefor can I use my BaoFeng UV-5R without one? and use the MURS Freq. From the FCC -""MURS is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required for an entity to operate a MURS transmitter if it is not a representative of a foreign government and if it uses the transmitter only in accordance with Section 95.1309. There is no age restriction regarding who may operate an MURS transmitter."" So what im taking from that is as long as I use any of the following freq. I'm good to go as long as I follow "licensed by rule"...

151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)

151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)

151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)

154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)

154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If I'm not mistaken, the radio must be labeled for MURS use. Also, your radio is capable of 5 watts, according to the manufacturer so you decide to use it, you must program the lower wattage which, I think is 1 watt. The maximum MURS wattage is 2 watts.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Yes, as long as you stay within

the bandwidth as you posted, AND keep the transceiver at LOW power, (~1 watt). If you set the power to high, ~4 watts, then you've violated the License by Rule. MURS is limited to 2 watts.

edit: KK4JUG brought up a valid point, that being that the UV5R is NOT Part 95 type accepted. Just checked mine.

Are there any freq. that I can use when I get the radio that are 100% legal without a

Are there any freq. that I can use when I get the radio that are 100% legal without a licenses

Hans13

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.603

"(g) Each Multi-Use Radio Service transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the MURS) must be certificated in accordance with subpart J of part 2 of this chapter, Provided however, that those radio units certificated as of November 12, 2002 need not be recertificated."

Hans13

Are there any freq. that I can use when I get the radio that are 100% legal without a licenses

None of which I am aware, unless it is one of the bonafide part 90 certified radios with the proper FCC sticker. Even then, someone must be properly licensed and can allow you to operate under that license, within the proper scope of same. Of course, this is just as I understand it.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You're probably better off getting a MURS radio rather than trying to skirt all the rules.

Your radio was intended for use by hams, hence, the .70m and 2m transmit bands. For your purposes, what you have is a commercial FM and weather receiver and a flashlight (I think it's got a light.).

Hans13

Yea, I wish there was a online test to obtain them, but unfortunately I don't think there is.

Not yet but there are many free practice tests online. The questions come straight from the actual question pool so one could just memorize answers. I talk to people that have done that and passed the test easily.

I used the free guide book offered at
No-Nonsense Study Guides - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog. The technician is free in PDF format and is at the bottom of the page.

I used this site for test practice, https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/.

Status
Not open for further replies.