RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Georgia Radio Discussion Forum


Georgia Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Georgia.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2017, 3:25 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Maysville Ga.
Posts: 12
Default banks co.

I am new to trunking; I have a new whistler TRX-1 and I am wanting to get my county listed as NXDN system when I install it per instructions it does not have a talkgroup associated with it. I did the add wildcard and got it to scan the system .it is only 4 frequencies counting the control channel.sometimes it will pickup one side of a conversation but not much and not very often. I did add the channels manually one day but that didn't work either... I thank you for any help....LARRY

BANKS CO.GA.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2017, 11:46 PM
N8IAA's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fortunately, GA
Posts: 6,532
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by led11 View Post
I am new to trunking; I have a new whistler TRX-1 and I am wanting to get my county listed as NXDN system when I install it per instructions it does not have a talkgroup associated with it. I did the add wildcard and got it to scan the system .it is only 4 frequencies counting the control channel.sometimes it will pickup one side of a conversation but not much and not very often. I did add the channels manually one day but that didn't work either... I thank you for any help....LARRY

BANKS CO.GA.
Did you use EZScan to import the system?
I just downloaded the software for the TRX1 and installed it on my PC. I've used EZScan since my first PSR-800. Have a WS-1088 that I use for DMR. NXDN imports the same as DMR. Does the radio show the RAN and TGID?
Being I don't have a TRX-1, I can't hear Banks. I do monitor Jackson Co. and Habersham Co. on their DMR systems.
Also,
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 5:28 AM
troymail's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply, NC
Posts: 9,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by led11 View Post
I am new to trunking; I have a new whistler TRX-1 and I am wanting to get my county listed as NXDN system when I install it per instructions it does not have a talkgroup associated with it. I did the add wildcard and got it to scan the system .it is only 4 frequencies counting the control channel.sometimes it will pickup one side of a conversation but not much and not very often. I did add the channels manually one day but that didn't work either... I thank you for any help....LARRY

BANKS CO.GA.
I don't want to add confusion - but, it looks like the "system" and frequencies (WQUU488) listed here on the RRDB are based on a Special Temporary License (STA) that expired two years ago (12/2015).

There is a newer, more complex, multi-site license (WQWJ612) which shows the following frequencies and site/tower locations.

You may want to explore these newer frequencies - or at least the frequencies on the site that is closest to you (PICK ONE! DO NOT TRY TO MONITOR ALL OF THE SITES!)

WQWJ612

Site 1 - 557 Thompson St, HOMER, GA
Central?
453.16875
453.35625
453.50625
453.61875
453.73125
460.10
460.41250

Site 2 - 241 OLD ORCHARD RD, BALDWIN, GA
West Central?
453.22500
453.33750
453.44375
453.55625
453.65625
453.76250<<<< frequency on existing listing
460.06250
460.16875

Site 3 - 2348A DAMASCUS RD, HOMER, GA
East Central?
453.25625
453.45625
453.56875
453.66250
460.13125
460.41875

Site 4 - 30987A HWY 441, COMMERCE, GA
South?
453.34375
453.58125<<<< frequency on existing listing
453.74375
453.90
460.10625<<<< frequency on existing listing
460.40
460.50
460.61875

Site 5 - GILLSVILLE
West?
453.26875
453.41875
453.56250
460.20
460.40625<<<< frequency on existing listing
460.55

Site 6 (8) - WESLEY CHAPEL RD AND HUDSON RIVER CHURCH RD, ILA
East?
453.31250
453.78750
453.85
453.97500
460.35
460.57500
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390

Last edited by troymail; 12-12-2017 at 6:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 7:16 AM
troymail's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply, NC
Posts: 9,658
Default

I dug a bit into the expired STA license and the request confirms that it was for "field testing" of a NXDN system for 60 days.

It looks like the test went well and they deployed (or are deploying) a complete multi-site system as is referenced above.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 11:37 AM
N8IAA's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fortunately, GA
Posts: 6,532
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
I don't want to add confusion - but, it looks like the "system" and frequencies (WQUU488) listed here on the RRDB are based on a Special Temporary License (STA) that expired two years ago (12/2015).

There is a newer, more complex, multi-site license (WQWJ612) which shows the following frequencies and site/tower locations.

You may want to explore these newer frequencies - or at least the frequencies on the site that is closest to you (PICK ONE! DO NOT TRY TO MONITOR ALL OF THE SITES!)

WQWJ612

Site 1 - 557 Thompson St, HOMER, GA
Central?
453.16875
453.35625
453.50625
453.61875
453.73125
460.10
460.41250

Site 2 - 241 OLD ORCHARD RD, BALDWIN, GA
West Central?
453.22500
453.33750
453.44375
453.55625
453.65625
453.76250<<<< frequency on existing listing
460.06250
460.16875

Site 3 - 2348A DAMASCUS RD, HOMER, GA
East Central?
453.25625
453.45625
453.56875
453.66250
460.13125
460.41875

Site 4 - 30987A HWY 441, COMMERCE, GA
South?
453.34375
453.58125<<<< frequency on existing listing
453.74375
453.90
460.10625<<<< frequency on existing listing
460.40
460.50
460.61875

Site 5 - GILLSVILLE
West?
453.26875
453.41875
453.56250
460.20
460.40625<<<< frequency on existing listing
460.55

Site 6 (8) - WESLEY CHAPEL RD AND HUDSON RIVER CHURCH RD, ILA
East?
453.31250
453.78750
453.85
453.97500
460.35
460.57500
Troy, first, thank you for finding that info. But, monitoring NXDN and DMR is not like monitoring a P-25 Moto system. I use three sites for Jackson Co. You want to capture as much as you can. Plus, I know the area that led115 is trying to scan.

For led115, I would use all of the Homer sites, Gillsville, and Commerce. They are all in your area. Baldwin is too far north. You can manually put them into EZScan. Been doing that for years.
For further reference, you can add sites under the Trunked Radio Systems tab. That is how you would enter the frequencies Troymail added here.
HTH,
Larry
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 AM
N8IAA's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fortunately, GA
Posts: 6,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
I dug a bit into the expired STA license and the request confirms that it was for "field testing" of a NXDN system for 60 days.

It looks like the test went well and they deployed (or are deploying) a complete multi-site system as is referenced above.
Before we totally confuse led115. Why don't we just let him digest the info and answer back.
I use four sites for Habersham county's DMR system. I don't miss any comms when traveling through that county. It's necessary to maintain connection and hear what's going on in the county.
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 AM
troymail's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply, NC
Posts: 9,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Troy, first, thank you for finding that info. But, monitoring NXDN and DMR is not like monitoring a P-25 Moto system. I use three sites for Jackson Co. You want to capture as much as you can. Plus, I know the area that led115 is trying to scan.

For led115, I would use all of the Homer sites, Gillsville, and Commerce. They are all in your area. Baldwin is too far north. You can manually put them into EZScan. Been doing that for years.
For further reference, you can add sites under the Trunked Radio Systems tab. That is how you would enter the frequencies Troymail added here.
HTH,
Larry
Larry - No problem - I love working this kind of thing.

I know NXDN and DMR is going to be different on the TRX which is why I strongly suggest only trying to select and monitor one site at a time. The initial goal is to find out what if any of the sites are active and what traffic they are carrying. Some talkgroups are likely to be carried on multiples sites while others may be on other sites.

FWIW - I have a multi-site NXDN system near me that looks and "smells" very similar. Watching that system on SDR, the active talkgroups change frequency very fast - like upon each user's radio keying up - and even trying to track/monitor single talkgroup that is on a site with 4-7 frequencies can be a challenge.

Trying to monitor multiple sites - even if in range - while trying to figure this system out is a bad recipe.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 1:39 PM
N8IAA's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fortunately, GA
Posts: 6,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Larry - No problem - I love working this kind of thing.

I know NXDN and DMR is going to be different on the TRX which is why I strongly suggest only trying to select and monitor one site at a time. The initial goal is to find out what if any of the sites are active and what traffic they are carrying. Some talkgroups are likely to be carried on multiples sites while others may be on other sites.

FWIW - [URL="https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7305"]I
Trying to monitor multiple sites - even if in range - while trying to figure this system out is a bad recipe.
Scanners handle systems differently than SDR receivers. I know that my 1088 has no problem locking onto an active TG. Led115 doesn't even have TGID's yet. Until he maps the system, lets wait and see.
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 1:41 PM
troymail's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply, NC
Posts: 9,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Scanners handle systems differently than SDR receivers. I know that my 1088 has no problem locking onto an active TG. Led115 doesn't even have TGID's yet. Until he maps the system, lets wait and see.
Larry
I don't think we're communicating here so - let's just wait for him his response -- the ball is in his court.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 8:37 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Maysville Ga.
Posts: 12
Default

thanks everybody.ya'll gave me a lot of info to start on. i will get back at it soon mother n law not doing good.bee on the road a lot. did you find all that by being a premium member.? anways i'll give it a try. thanks for the help. that's a kot more to go on than there 4 frequencies listed....lol
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2017, 8:46 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Maysville Ga.
Posts: 12
Default

I've been playing around with the ez scan.program i've got to learn it too. So far it seems pretty cool.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2017, 11:03 AM
N8IAA's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fortunately, GA
Posts: 6,532
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by led11 View Post
thanks everybody.ya'll gave me a lot of info to start on. i will get back at it soon mother n law not doing good.bee on the road a lot. did you find all that by being a premium member.? anways i'll give it a try. thanks for the help. that's a kot more to go on than there 4 frequencies listed....lol
Actually, he didn't find that info being a premium member. He used the FCC ULS site. Then you can put in the call sign of the department to get the info.
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2017, 2:50 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Maysville Ga.
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Actually, he didn't find that info being a premium member. He used the FCC ULS site. Then you can put in the call sign of the department to get the info.
Larry
thanks
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Maysville Ga.
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Did you use EZScan to import the system?
I just downloaded the software for the TRX1 and installed it on my PC. I've used EZScan since my first PSR-800. Have a WS-1088 that I use for DMR. NXDN imports the same as DMR. Does the radio show the RAN and TGID?
Being I don't have a TRX-1, I can't hear Banks. I do monitor Jackson Co. and Habersham Co. on their DMR systems.
Also,
Larry
I started off with the browse library install. And have since used the ez scan software to install the updated channels. and add wildcard to get it to scan.I am hearing more traffic than I was.I am seeing things on the display when it talks like....TGRP 80,,21360,,50,,17481,,56,,57,,and wildcard.do i need to add these to the scanner ? I dont no what the RAN is.thanks Larry
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 PM
troymail's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply, NC
Posts: 9,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by led11 View Post
I started off with the browse library install. And have since used the ez scan software to install the updated channels. and add wildcard to get it to scan.I am hearing more traffic than I was.I am seeing things on the display when it talks like....TGRP 80,,21360,,50,,17481,,56,,57,,and wildcard.do i need to add these to the scanner ? I dont no what the RAN is.thanks Larry
I think the easiest thing to do on programming the additional frequencies/sites is to do as your started - import the system and then (a) replace the site frequencies from the single site import with one of those in the new frequency data then (b) create an additional site for each of the above sites and enter the frequencies for each respective site.

This will allow you to see which sites are close enough to receive and what talkgroups are being seen on each site.

This also allows you to lock out the sites that are out of range (I still recommend only trying to scan one site at a time and there are ways you can set this up but we'll come back to that).

As for the "talkgroups" you are receiving, when you receive a new wildcard talkgroup, press MENU and then select the first option to store that talkgroup. Eventually, you can assign alpha tags/names to each of the talkgroups.

If you enable recording on the wildcard and stored talkgroups, you can review the recordings directly on the radio - or even better - pull the recordings onto your PC with EZ Scan. This will allow you to better get a sense of what activity your are receiving and on which sites.

There's plenty more you an do with programming and the radio but this is more than enough to get started!
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 12:32 PM
troymail's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply, NC
Posts: 9,658
Default

The "RAN" is just a number assigned to a frequency that is transmitted in the signal data such that if there are several signals close enough to receive on the same frequency, the radio knows which ones to ignore, etc.

This is set to "1" on the existing data in the RRDB.

WARNING: each site may use a different RAN value so you'll want to set this to wildcard/any while doing your initial search on the system/sites/frequencies.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 2:00 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Maysville Ga.
Posts: 12
Default

thanx. a project to start another day.....
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 2:07 PM
troymail's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply, NC
Posts: 9,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by led11 View Post
thanx. a project to start another day.....
Sometimes it is easy - but that assumes others in your area have both figured things out and submitted that information to the database. It doesn't sound like that is the case here.

The good news is in working it, you're going to have the opportunity to really learn some functionality on your radio (it's all part of the hobby and the fun!)
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 3:08 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Maysville Ga.
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Sometimes it is easy - but that assumes others in your area have both figured things out and submitted that information to the database. It doesn't sound like that is the case here.

The good news is in working it, you're going to have the opportunity to really learn some functionality on your radio (it's all part of the hobby and the fun!)
I've had a scanner all of my adult live. but not like this critter Like the commercial says
It's not your fathers BUICK
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 3:13 PM
troymail's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply, NC
Posts: 9,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by led11 View Post
I've had a scanner all of my adult live. but not like this critter Like the commercial says
It's not your fathers BUICK
Don't worry - we'll get you through it.

If you haven't already, you should look through the owners manual and/or this:
Easier to Read Whistler WS1080/1088 Handheld Scanner and Software Manual

The above is for the previous model (before the TRX) but they are pretty much the same except that the TRX will handle NXDN and the others do not.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions