AMDS Sensus Flexnet RFI??

Status
Not open for further replies.

WouffHong

Recently, as in 1-2 weeks ago, GA Power removed the old analog Power meter and replaced it with a SENSUS isa1 Model 530X Flexnet meter.

( http://www.sensus.com/SensusElectric/products/D-iS0A1-0905.pdf )

ADMS is the "Advanced Metering Data System" which broadcasts to centralized towers with a supposed range of 20+ miles (No miliwatts THERE).

Since then, my remote Weather Stations have gone flaky, and our RF linked Doorbell (at ~ 310.075 mHz) has started ringing at all hours, even 2 AM and 4 AM as well as scattered times in the day. (We are in a remote area and no houses nearby, BTW).

Searching brochures, product specs, news releases all day via Google and "http://amdswireless.com" has revealed nothing relating to the Frequency used, so I bring it to this august forum.

The FCC ID# (part 15?) is: SDBAMDS1000TR-1 if that helps.

I am seeking the general frequency the system uses, albeit it need not be precise.

Tom

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Amds

Public records will show that AMDS leased spectrum from USA Mobility for two 50 kHz blocks of Part 24 spectrum, Service Code "CN"

Forward channel block - 940.1000 to 940.1500
Reverse channel block - 901.1000 to 901.1500

Part 24 is high EIRP at the base station ~1000 watts EIRP on the forward channel and low power, < 1 watt from the mobile units.

Craig

ButchGone

Re:

FCC rules state that devices like these must not interfere... tell the power company you're having problems and they should either clean up the signal or replace device with one that does not cause harm. the transmitter is splattering all over the place and is not within spec. it's just like powerline noise; if bad insulators, wires or other hardware is causing "noise" on devices in your home, you can call them to complain and they must fix it!
Good luck!
BG..

So what ever happened with this thing? Does it interfere? Anybody ever get a spectrum analyzer on it?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

WouffHong

Rotten QRM....

Still getting S5 Noise across HF bands and lines across the TV, but we are down in FL to prepare to sell my condo (http://costadelsolcondo.com - with it's outside antennas) and now that I have acquired an Icom r7000, will explore those fequencies when we get back up in may... Tom

drlehr

RF FLEXNET 530x

Interestingly enough.. I found that when they changed my meter back in March of 2010 things were kinda normal. I did get some sounds in the 900mhz area on my scanner that I wasn't used to.. but I thought it was just a neighbors new weather station.. My WRM968 weather station works fine before and after my meter installation.

Do you know if we are being charged for the power used to broadcast the information? Obviously it takes power repeatedly to broadcast.. I do not want to pay for that power usage.

Another note: My power bill was 185.00 per month (Oregon with gas furnace and water heater). But after installing a complete Homeseer home automation system with mixed x10 and insteon devices my power usage went down to 66.00 per month (yes I can prove that if anyone wants to see my bill). My lifestyle hasn't changed at all execpt for the fact that my lights sometimes turn off when I need them to be on.. still configuring that to balance comfort and expense. I did change all my bulbs to LED lights also. Home depot sells a nice warm bulb that only uses 7watts and puts out pretty good light. Fred Meyers sells the nice spot lights in LED using only 10 watts each in the kitchen recessed can lights.

Yes I have kids that left every light on in the home. (not anymore...grin)

Also you can now get a Honeywell Redlink internet gateway device and prestiege Honeywell thermostat so you can monitor and control your heating and cooling system with your droid or iphone. This has helped save me money also.

Panasonic makes the DC extreme low power bathroom fans and Evergreen makes a nice continous duty motor for your furnace that uses MUCH less power than the standard AC 1/3 or 1/2 HP motor currently in your furnace!!. Yes I bought one.. and it works very well.

PGE is has been in contact with me about the monitoring software/website that you can login and see your power usage in realtime with these new meters by the way. They were supposed to release the package in late 2011 but have pushed it back to Feb of 2012..

Damon KF7CRS

Last edited:

kf4lhp

According to the FCC EA:

Frequency Range / Output (W) / Emission
901.0 - 902.0 / 1.0 / 9K60F2D
901.0 - 902.0 / 1.0 / 1K10F2D
901.0 - 902.0 / 1.0 / 4K80F2D
930.0 - 931.0 / 1.0 / 5K90F1D
940.0 - 941.0 / 1.0 / 5K90F1D
896.05 - 901.0 / 1.0 / 9K60F2D
896.05 - 901.0 / 1.0 / 1K10F2D
896.05 - 901.0 / 1.0 / 4K80F2D
935.0 - 940.0 / 1.0 / 5K90F1D
932.0 - 932.5 / 1.0 / 9K60F2D
932.0 - 932.5 / 1.0 / 1K10F2D
932.0 - 932.5 / 1.0 / 4K80F2D
941.0 - 941.5 / 1.0 / 5K90F1D

toshik

I'd like to lift up the old thread. How does the company read the meters via those wireless transmitters? Mine it using wireless transmitter Sensus Flexnet M520. I'd imagine they have a truck with wireless modem and notebook driving around once a month for readout.
On another hand when I called the company they were able to tell me pretty recent consumption info right away. If they constantly monitor everything the battery should run out pretty fast (the modem box itself was made about 8 years ago) and I doubt the battery can even be changed. One modem serves two houses, so even if it transmits only once a month it's still some consumption.

Last edited:

Premium Subscriber
Work in the utility business so I'll try to shed a little light on all this. Most power companies and many water and gas companies are going to the fixed network of reading were your meter and consumption can be pulled up 24/7.

Many ways to achieve this via a radio fixed based radio system or one of the neater systems out there is using satellites to read meters.

Most are using an AMR system where the truck drives by and reads meters once a month, however they still tie an encoder to the meter which stores 6 months data/history to that customer.

Depending on the meter company those meters may send a small burst out daily looking for the collector or in the case of Badger meter the collector makes them "bubble up" and transmit when called for.

Many flavors and ways of achieving this and it varies everywhere.

ButchGone

In Chattanooga, TN, data from smart meters and the smart grid is transmitted via fiber optics. So are Internet, video and voice services (if you subscribe to EPB). No RFI issues.
BG..

Status
Not open for further replies.