East Central Georgia Scanner Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

antcross

Can anyone recommend a good portable scanner for use in the east Central Georgia area? I live in Evans (Columbia County) and work in Augusta (Richmond County). I would like to have sometihng that can monitor public safety and aviation traffic within this area.

I also travel by car to Atlanta and Macon regularly and would like to be able to monitor communications along the way.

I have an old Radio Shack scanner, but it doesn't have trunking capabilities. I think it is time to update to something new.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I use a Radio Shack PRO-95, PRO-97 (portables) and a PRO-2096 (mobile) on a regular basis. The PRO-2096 is one of the best on the market presently and will allow you to monitor digital comms. If you're not interested in digital or have a limited budget the PRO-97 is an excellent radio.

hankv

antcross said:
Can anyone recommend a good portable scanner for use in the east Central Georgia area? I live in Evans (Columbia County) and work in Augusta (Richmond County). I would like to have sometihng that can monitor public safety and aviation traffic within this area.

I also travel by car to Atlanta and Macon regularly and would like to be able to monitor communications along the way.

I have an old Radio Shack scanner, but it doesn't have trunking capabilities. I think it is time to update to something new.

Any help would be appreciated.
The last time I checked, Columbia County was on a conventional system, but may have some trunking in the plans. Richmond County uses 800Mhz Analog Trunking. Fort Gordon uses Digital Trunking.

Around Atlanta (eventually Statewide) the GEWIN system is all digital and there are other mixed systems in the area.

Uniden has the BCD396 that will do all of these. $$$$$

Radio Shack Pro 96 should also do most of these. $$$

Radio Shack Pro 95/97 Do not do Digital. $

Hank

Status
Not open for further replies.