RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Georgia Radio Discussion Forum

Georgia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Georgia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 12:06 PM

Default East Central Georgia Scanner Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good portable scanner for use in the east Central Georgia area? I live in Evans (Columbia County) and work in Augusta (Richmond County). I would like to have sometihng that can monitor public safety and aviation traffic within this area.

I also travel by car to Atlanta and Macon regularly and would like to be able to monitor communications along the way.

I have an old Radio Shack scanner, but it doesn't have trunking capabilities. I think it is time to update to something new.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by antcross; 09-16-2007 at 12:25 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2007, 12:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I use a Radio Shack PRO-95, PRO-97 (portables) and a PRO-2096 (mobile) on a regular basis. The PRO-2096 is one of the best on the market presently and will allow you to monitor digital comms. If you're not interested in digital or have a limited budget the PRO-97 is an excellent radio.
Old 09-17-2007, 8:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by antcross
Can anyone recommend a good portable scanner for use in the east Central Georgia area? I live in Evans (Columbia County) and work in Augusta (Richmond County). I would like to have sometihng that can monitor public safety and aviation traffic within this area.

I also travel by car to Atlanta and Macon regularly and would like to be able to monitor communications along the way.

I have an old Radio Shack scanner, but it doesn't have trunking capabilities. I think it is time to update to something new.

Any help would be appreciated.
The last time I checked, Columbia County was on a conventional system, but may have some trunking in the plans. Richmond County uses 800Mhz Analog Trunking. Fort Gordon uses Digital Trunking.

Around Atlanta (eventually Statewide) the GEWIN system is all digital and there are other mixed systems in the area.

Uniden has the BCD396 that will do all of these. $$$$$

Radio Shack Pro 96 should also do most of these. $$$

Radio Shack Pro 95/97 Do not do Digital. $

Hank

KI4UMX

Yaesu FT-8800R
Icom IC-92AD D-Star
Uniden BCD396T
Radio Shack PRO95
Yaesu VX-7RB
and other stuff