RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Good Morning.
I just wanted to throw my two cents in here.
Iv used Ham Test Online and several other online tests when I was going for my Tech.
Each one has its own spin on asking the questions but in the end they all ,at least to me, appear the same.
FWIW, I tested my self on Ham Test then went to E ham and aa9pw.
If I passed on these then I felt confident to go for the real thing.

donnie K7UTA
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_K7UTA View Post
Each one has its own spin on asking the questions but in the end they all, at least to me, appear the same.
This is John, W1AI, the owner of HamTestOnline.

I appreciate the kind remarks from all the HamTestOnline fans!

To clarify the question wording issue that N8GBU and K7UTA touched on, all of these sites use the same question pools published by the NCVEC, so we all have the exact same questions, character-for-character identical to the ones on the actual exam. There are no differences in the wording between these sites.

The critical differences between the sites are:

1. HamTestOnline integrates study texts, explanations, and hints with the question drill, so you learn the materials, not just memorize the answers.

2. HamTestOnline keeps track of your answers and uses intelligent repetition to focus on your weak areas until they aren't weak any more. QRZ and AA9PW just present questions randomly.

I personally feel, if you're going to spend all that time studying, you might as well learn something in the process. I've always said that any day you don't learn something new is a wasted day.

John, W1AI
HamTestOnline™ - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Ham Radio Practice Exams
Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I used HTO to study for my Extra and the only complaint I had was the cost. 35 bucks isn't an astronomical amount and it just a bit more than buying the study guides, but with the study guides you can resell them and get at least some of your money back when you're done with it.

I just needed a quick fix as in about a week's worth of use but still had to pay the 2 year subscription price. I didn't know I was only going to be using it a week initially but a test session popped up that I didn't know about previously so I had originally intended on using it over a longer period of time, but definitely not for 2 years.

And IMHO, anyone serious enough to be paying money to study for the exams isn't going to sit around studying for 2 years to do it anyway.

Other than that I thought it was a great system!
RS DX-394, IC-T8A, IC-2200H, Kenwood TS-520
Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels47130 View Post
I've read some stuff about hamtestonline.com I was wondering if people here would Recomend them for learning for my test!

Thanks
I have some experience in learning and in teaching at the vocational level. I have found HamTestOnLine to be quite helpful for me in studing for my license and for the upgrade I am working on. The format is based on the question pools for the tests with brief explanations of major points or concepts. There is not the in-depth interaction of a classroom, nor is there the hefty tuition. Further resources for understanding are as close as the search engine on your computer. Just like in college, you will learn (or not) in proportion to the interest and effort you put into the process.

Jim
KC9WSX
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels47130 View Post
I've read some stuff about hamtestonline.com I was wondering if people here would Recomend them for learning for my test!

Thanks
I bought into HamTestOnLine. Passed Tech and General without any problems. It beats studying the ARRL manuals, alone, and then taking practice tests on line. I DO use the books to help me understand fundementals, since I am not backgrounded in electronics. I read the ARRL Tech book first and with my head spinning, was not doing well on the practice exams as far as I was concerned. I stumbled across HamTestOnLine and paid for the the Tech and General access. I spent 30 hours on-line and passed the tests with flying colors. I bought the ARRL Am Extra manual and started reading. Got a headache after three chapters. Paid for the HamTestOnLine Extra access. Now, with the book and going through the process on-line, I am understanding more of what I read. The math does take time for some of us, but eventually, it comes together.

I want access to all the bands as I phase into the hobby. My bucket list includes learning code, even though it's not a requirement. I have an old school mentality and believe it's a good skill to have in the long run and it will be fun.

I'm a "box opener" as some of the old-timers would say. I'm retired. While I wish I could learn radio from the breadboard up, I don't have time to waste. I will probably do a few simple breadboard projects for CW purposes at some point. I do have a strong interest in "home brew" when it comes to antennas and have my eye on a couple of projects.

There are so many new facets of the hobby, i.e., packet, echo-link, and other areas of ham radio, I think the hobby is stronger and with more opportunities than it has been since the first ham radio cranked up.

Bottom line - check out the web site. The cost is minimal and you will learn and will pass your test.

I plan to test for Extra in February and may be ready to test for code. The learning process never stops, even for the old-timers who can home brew a radio with their eyes closed.

73'
Paul
K4VCF
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2012, 9:32 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I recommend HTO. My wife was using the book and QRZ and failed the exam 3 times. She gave up for awhile and then we tried HTO. She used it for about a month, went through the whole program, and passed the exam the first time with 3 wrong answers to spare.

Another guy locally to me used HTO to upgrade to his extra. He studied pretty frequently for a week and passed his extra. He liked the HTO program as well.

Tim
Old 12-06-2012, 6:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have held a Limited (full theory & regulations, no code) Australian Licence, now called Advanced for roughly 20 years, and used Ham Test Online to obtain a US Extra licence, taking all three elements in one evening. It certainly helped remember some of the counter-intuitive regulations. It is is also true that the small pool means that is is easier to remember the answers to the leading and lagging angle questions and resonant frequency ones, than work it out during the exam, but this is the fault of the inadequate pool, or use of the pool system, not HTO.

I also bought my mother the Technician course. While she had worked in other physical measurement and was good at mathematics, (and could solder), she had difficulty understanding electricity. She however learnt well with HTO, and even passed at least one practice exam (and came close on the others), before becoming ill. I am sure she would have passed real exams or the local equivalent, using what she learnt from HTO. The local exams have no published pools, so you need to learn which figures to plug into the formula, etc.
Old 02-15-2013, 1:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDoc View Post
'Learning' implies that you understand the material presented, that it's explained to you. HTO doesn't do that 'teaching', they only give you the means (answers) to pass a license exam. The information is presented in such a way that it's "easy(er)" to pass tests, that's their only intent. Learning and understanding the material presented is a completely different thing and requires study and explanation.
So to answer the stated question, no, it will teach you very little. Understanding what's presented is up to you.
- 'Doc

(I wish they had been around when I took those tests! )
To state that HTO does not teach anything is inaccurate. While it is not a full blown course in electronics and physics, it does provide some informational background to give the student an understanding of the each question in the particular element question pool. That is the objective of HTO and it works.

I subscribed to all three courses and I passed each class with 100% I took the Technician and General exams at the same test session and the Extra exam a little over a month later.
Old 02-22-2013, 8:39 PM

I used HTO to help study for my General and Extra, which I just passed 6 days ago. I felt that some topics were covered well and others were not covered as well. Many times, a brief mention of a topic was made and just a link to a somewhat related Wikipedia topic. I found I was doing a lot of independent research to understand some topics. There are so many questions for the Extra test that you really need to understand the questions and answers as opposed to memorize them. On other topics, there were great explanations, especially when it came to formulas. RLC circuit formulas were explained fairly well but took a lot of time for me to comprehend it all. On my actual test, I missed one on my General and two on my Extra.
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2013, 9:18 PM

. .

Last edited by BigRon; 02-22-2013 at 9:19 PM.. Reason: Duplicate
Old 03-09-2013, 9:47 AM

I would recommend the site 1000%! I used it for my General and scored 100% on the test. I'm currently using it for my Extra Class prep. Believe me, it is UPTO DATE and very well done, letting you track your progress very accurately and automatically providing extra drills where needed. Worth every penny!

73's

William (Courtney) Burkhard, KK4LAS
Safety Harbor (Tampa Bay Area), FL
Old 03-09-2013, 8:54 PM

I don't know anything about Ham Test Online... I will say this, however: If you want excellent study materials intelligently presented followed by interaction questions and answers, then this link is it. There are powerpoint presentations designed to be used in a class setting, they cover all three Ham radio license classes, and they are free. I passed both Technician and General after one week of study. I am now passing Extra practice exams after only a week. I'm taking the Extra class next weekend. These are not the end-all answer to ham radio. Learning all of the test material and passing the exams only prepare you to learn how to BE an Amateur Radio Operator. For anyone who is truly interested in radio technology and Amateur Radio in particular it's a lifelong learning opportunity. Just talk to any of the senior hams in your local club about that. Passing a test is just the beginning.

The link: Index of /~HRInstructor the downloads are free.

Steve
KG7BVF
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I actually used QRZ and a book from Gorden West. I just got my General so I am doing well _
Daytona Beach, Florida
Old 03-10-2013, 7:13 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yea i used aa9pw and Gorden west and got my general and now working on my extra.
This message is hidden because n9mxq is on your ignore list.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 PM

I used HTO for both my Tech and general Tickets, took them the same test sitting.

I liked it, and it worked great for me.

What I really like, is that you can set it to work on your weak areas, or set it to show questions you haven't seen, etc.

It's very customizable to fit each persons needs.

I wanted to get started right away, and decided to try it instead of waiting for the books to arrive, and I'm glad I did.

Like someone mentioned, it's a lot like college, you will get out of it what you put into it.

HTO provides some study material and links, plus you have the entire WWW: to use also!

Most experienced Hams I talked to said:
"You got your ticket? Congrats!! Now the REAL learning begins!"

I think that sums it up pretty well!

I didn't know at the time that there were as many Hams in my area, or that there were some classes I could take locally, so HTO really helped.

And being a disabled Vet, with limited time on my feet, using an online resource was excellent for me.
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2013, 12:46 AM

Default HTO recommend...

When I last posted to this thread I was studying for Extra... passed it last weekend 3/16... still waiting for the upgrade to show up on the FCC site. My daughter passed her Technician test at the same time. Still no call sign for her. She is studying the powerpoints for General now.

Good luck!
steve
KG7BVF /AE
Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintner View Post
When I last posted to this thread I was studying for Extra... passed it last weekend 3/16... still waiting for the upgrade to show up on the FCC site. My daughter passed her Technician test at the same time. Still no call sign for her. She is studying the powerpoints for General now.

Good luck!
steve
KG7BVF /AE
Seems the FCC is a little slow. I passed the Technician test 3/17 and it's not posted yet.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Mike... someone said they are understaffed now that the sequestration stuff has happened lol

steve
KG7BVF /AE
Old 03-25-2013, 6:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintner View Post
Mike... someone said they are understaffed now that the sequestration stuff has happened lol

steve
KG7BVF /AE
Yeah that doesn't shock me. *shakes fist at government*
Old 03-25-2013, 8:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Ham test online Recomend?

I can highly recommend HTO, I used it for Tech and General.

Yes, you can get more "in depth" study materials, and I did, by using the ARRL "Handbook" and other online materials.

You do learn, it is not simply learning by rote.

As for the 2 year membership, that is a bargain if your intention is to upgrade. It gives you plenty of time to study and pass all three levels within that time slot.

To the OP, please let us all know if you have used HTO and if you passed any exams by using it. Also, if you did NOT use HTO, what did you use and what the results have been?

Jim KC2LMH