Ham test online Recomend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elk2370bruce

I've not tried them but the sample testing program at QRZ.com have worked very well for me. Take a look and see of you like their effort. Each of the test prep programs deals with the entire question pool that make up the licensing test. Since these are the only questions you might see, spend some time learning and improving your scores each time. Good luck and we'll talk with you on the air.

k3td

I haven't used them personally (been licensed a long time) but do know several people who have used them and everyone seems to have great things to say about they way their system can help you learn and study for the test.

Congratulations on working toward your ticket and good luck!

glideslope

Highly recommend! I studied for about 6 hours using their website and passed my Technician with a 100!! I tried other methods like the Ham Radio study app for Andriod and eHam website but, those didn't work for me.

k3cfc

Silent Key
Highly recommend! I studied for about 6 hours using their website and passed my Technician with a 100!! I tried other methods like the Ham Radio study app for Andriod and eHam website but, those didn't work for me.

Finally someone that doesn't want to beat me up lol. yea aa9pw is a great site I am using it now to study my extra class exam.

K3CFC

LtDoc

'Learning' implies that you understand the material presented, that it's explained to you. HTO doesn't do that 'teaching', they only give you the means (answers) to pass a license exam. The information is presented in such a way that it's "easy(er)" to pass tests, that's their only intent. Learning and understanding the material presented is a completely different thing and requires study and explanation.
So to answer the stated question, no, it will teach you very little. Understanding what's presented is up to you.
- 'Doc

(I wish they had been around when I took those tests! :))

k3cfc

Silent Key
'Learning' implies that you understand the material presented, that it's explained to you. HTO doesn't do that 'teaching', they only give you the means (answers) to pass a license exam. The information is presented in such a way that it's "easy(er)" to pass tests, that's their only intent. Learning and understanding the material presented is a completely different thing and requires study and explanation.
So to answer the stated question, no, it will teach you very little. Understanding what's presented is up to you.
- 'Doc

I agree with you 100% but you know as well as i do back in the day you could go to your local electronics store and buy the tubes wire and the forms to make coils and the list goes on. but you can't do this now so you do the best you can with what you have to work with. i have an old tube book that enplanes the tube pin outs and what you need to do when you sub one for another. you can't find any of this now days. i have the Gordon west book and the six cd where he explains somewhat about hf. i passed my general some time ago but to date i have not keyed down on hf. i am learning code and have acquired a vibroplex to learn on.

K3CFC

LtDoc

'Back in the day'?? Mercy, I'm getting old, those -were- my days! Radio-Row in Dallas was going strong, hated that green-room down on Commerce Street(?), About the only 'solid-state' stuff around was ice cubes. The 'Bash' and 'West' study guides were dirty words no self respecting ham would even consider! There was still a 'Conditional' class license, and the Extra was in long-hand, no multiple choice thingys. HeathKit was 'hi-tech' stuff, and there were no SWR meters. 'Pink slips' really were pink and came in the mail... geeze. :)
- 'Doc

k3cfc

Silent Key
'Back in the day'?? Mercy, I'm getting old, those -were- my days! Radio-Row in Dallas was going strong, hated that green-room down on Commerce Street(?), About the only 'solid-state' stuff around was ice cubes. The 'Bash' and 'West' study guides were dirty words no self respecting ham would even consider! There was still a 'Conditional' class license, and the Extra was in long-hand, no multiple choice thingys. HeathKit was 'hi-tech' stuff, and there were no SWR meters. 'Pink slips' really were pink and came in the mail... geeze. :)
- 'Doc

nostalgia isn't it great we can still remember??

gsownsby

I've read some stuff about hamtestonline.com I was wondering if people here would Recomend them for learning for my test! Thanks

I can fully recommend HamTestOnline. It is easy to use; web-based so you can study/practice anywhere with Internet access and there is NO software to load on to your PC; it provides adaptive learning in that it tracks and monitors your responses to quiz you again in weak areas; you can also manually select areas of learning/testing; it also shows the progress of others and their successes; and it even resequences quiz answer choices so you don't simply memorize the answer to a question based on its position in the list of possible answers...for instance question 2's answer is not always the third choice when you come to the question again.

I've also had occasion to contact HamTestOnline in regard to the question pool and the answers provided by the VE organization and in regard to a few typos within the content. They were always helpful, cooperative, and I sensed a strong desire to make their process/system the best it can be. They were never defensive with suggestions or fixing typos. Contact with them was definitely a pleasant experience.

Regarding other comments regarding does it "teach" you anything? I think the answer is yes and no. Yes, in that it does provide basic information about a topic or theory and often has photos or related links to the topic. Is it a comprehensive teaching source like a textbook or ARRL book, etc? No. It is not intended to be.

Studying for the amateur radio test is pretty much like any other licensing that requires passing a test to gain licensing. There is much to be exposed to; gain an awareness of; learn; and memorize what you need to pass the test. Similarly there is much you will be exposed to that you are unlikely to ever use again but you will have an awareness so if you really need to compute reactance, you can go get a book out and do it.

There is one thing for sure though, if you don't pass the test, you will not get your license. That's where HamTestOnline comes in through repetition, repetition, repetition you will come to "know" by memory what the answers are. Knowledge and practical use comes after you're licensed and have a need for specific pieces of information that you were exposed to in the practices.

While I'm not advocating just memorizing the answers without some basic awareness of the theories used in amateur radio, electronics, etc., the very fact that the governing organizations authorize the use of standardized tests, question pools with multiple choice questions, etc., indicates that they realize that having testing requires defined limits of knowledge for a given license level...otherwise hardly anyone would be able to pass the tests. As a practical outcome of defining knowledge limits, candidates focus on the knowledge that is required with a sprinkling of theory and memorization.

So from my perspective, yes, HamTestOnline does "teach" what you need to know to pass the test. In reality you already did this before when you memorized your ABCs and multiplication tables by rote. You would not likely have understood at that point in your knowledge level that 2+2=4 is the same as 2 squared but LATER you learned more based on learning or memory earlier. So go for it! Their system works.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I have been using it and I enjoy it. I use it along with classes and stuff my local HAM clubs put on. I take my Tech on Monday and am very confident I will pass.

konabrian

WB2JIX
Premium Subscriber
Hamtestonline

Best there is! I am a user and it's very helpful BUT, extremely frustrating at times.
You'll be studying along, doing well on the answers and then a completely unrelated question will come up & you'll say to yourself, "I have no clue"! "Why did they post this question"? It makes no sense.
The owner of the site will respond to questions if needed.
Yes, there are many typo's but you'll have to overlook them. Not a big deal.
Two years for the price is a bargain.
You have to stay with it once you start or reset the study and start over.
MUCH better than books and most of the questions have a link or two to take you away from the site for added clarity etc.
Give it a try.
Brian/WB2JIX

N7IFU

Premium Subscriber
- 'Doc

Doc, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I started studying for my extra test by simply memorizing answers, and it sucked. While I did memorize answers, I felt like I was cheating. I signed up for HTO, and boy, was I surprised. The system has an entire unit of study before it asks you questions. In fact, rarely does it blatantly give you answers.

LtDoc

Considering that I don't really know much about HTO you aren't being rude. So if they explain even a little bit, that's good. How can you answer any questions if you don't even know what they are talking about? Right?
- 'Doc

glideslope

Considering that I don't really know much about HTO you aren't being rude. So if they explain even a little bit, that's good. How can you answer any questions if you don't even know what they are talking about? Right?
- 'Doc

Memorizing the questions and answers!

w1ai

LEARN not memorize

This is John, W1AI, the owner of HamTestOnline.

There seems to be some confusion in this forum on the nature of HamTestOnline. We created the website as the antidote to free random exams. As volunteer examiners, we saw many people getting their license by memorizing the answers, but immediately dropping out of the hobby because they learned very little and didn't know where to start.

HamTestOnline integrates online study materials and question drill with intelligent repetition, so the student learns the materials and prepares to get a high score on the exam at the same time. It's very effective, which explains why we are ranked 4.9 out of 5 in 300+ reviews on eHam.net (HamTestOnline Product Reviews).

John, W1AI
HamTestOnline™ - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Ham Radio Practice Exams

k3cfc

Silent Key
This is John, W1AI, the owner of HamTestOnline.

There seems to be some confusion in this forum on the nature of HamTestOnline. We created the website as the antidote to free random exams. As volunteer examiners, we saw many people getting their license by memorizing the answers, but immediately dropping out of the hobby because they learned very little and didn't know where to start.

HamTestOnline integrates online study materials and question drill with intelligent repetition, so the student learns the materials and prepares to get a high score on the exam at the same time. It's very effective, which explains why we are ranked 4.9 out of 5 in 300+ reviews on eHam.net (HamTestOnline Product Reviews).

John, W1AI
HamTestOnline™ - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Ham Radio Practice Exams
Well John it's like anything else. some like fords and some like chevys but for me it's Chrysler all the way. i bought an book from radio shack read it took my test and passed then i bought Gordon West book and borrowed cd's read the book tested a www.aa9pw and passed. now it's Gordon West again and this time i bought the best he has to offer and i must say i am learning from this material. i am testing at www.aa9pw and getting more than 60% right. i didn't know your site existed till now. so am i confused ? not a bit but i have been repairing radios and the like for more than 50 years so most of this comes easy to me.

Have a super day

K3CFC

mikef1234

Premium Subscriber
Ham test online recommend

I usedlaonline for my extra class upgrade. It is not memorisation as some people seem to think. For the Extra exam there were math formulas I had never worked with before and they explained it. Also F.C.C. rules and regs. were another area. I highly recommend it plus working in concert with the QRZ exams. I found that the wording on the material was more close to the test than Hamtestonline was but you still arrived with the same answer
Mike/N8GBU

Status
Not open for further replies.