Passed my Tech!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplestar

Premium Subscriber
So, I tried my test this morning...and I passed! (If I heard them tabulating correctly, I think I got 33/35 on the test.) All four of us this morning got our Techs (one of those was still writing his General, when I left).

So now I have a piece of paper...and in a few days/weeks, I'll have a callsign and a license.

I guess this means I need to figure out what type of radio to buy.

N8OHU

Congratulations; I've been a Ham for over 20 years, and I didn't really get as active as I wanted to until the last few years, so don't worry if you don't know which of the many facets of Ham Radio you want to pursue.

LtDoc

Good for you!
Yep, start looking at radios, and keep studying! That General license more than doubles your possibilities.
- 'Doc

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Congrats! There are lots of options for radios out there, so take your time while looking at them.

maplestar

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, all!

I definitely want to keep going for General...I think I still want to do a little more consolidation on the Tech material first...especially because the electrical stuff still makes my head spin. (Matching the names to the concepts, and the units to each concept, and then getting straight how they relate to each other in the formulas.)

And...still trying to figure out where to start...I studied for this as a solo effort...so I don't have the contacts yet, and I have zero real experience with the hobby...so I'm still in the learning phase...

And trying to figure out what features I need/want and which features are useless to me. The way I told a couple of people: I don't want to cheap out and buy myself a radio which won't hold my interest, but I don't want to overpay for features I'll never get enough use from.

DaddyHam

Congrats. I got my technician in November and am going for my general 2/2 at FrostFest in Richmond, VA. I got a HT tri band (2M, 1.25M and 70CM). I programmed in some local repeaters and have had some success ragchewing and getting to know some of the regulars mostly on 2M and a little on 70CM.

I'm probably going to upgrade to a mobile unit in the next year. I have no idea what I will do for HF when I get my general. Guess I will have to save some $ up.

Eric
KK4MWM

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
To the OP. A simple Yaesu FT-60R might be good for you. For accessories you could get a better HT antenna, a mobile 2/440 mag-mount antenna, an extra battery, and a nice 2/440 base antenna for home use, and a mic.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Congrats and welcome to the hobby. Get with some of the local ham or the local club. Talk to folks in your area about what they use and what faucets of the hobby they are into. Lots of nooks and crannys that you can explore with this hobby. I use 70 cm thru 80 meters. Don't have enough real estate for a 160 antenna.

John
KB4OIF

r_eugene1

Congratulations on passing your Technician class. I have had mine just over a year and am now studying for my General class. If everything goes OK I should have it in a month or two.
Congratulations again and good luck!

GSPD

I guess this means I need to figure out what type of radio to buy

One of our local clubs (Rochester Amateur Radio Association) has a great incentive for new techs. If you pass the test they'll offer you a dual band HT for $25.00. Not a bad deal!

Congratulations!!!!

N2HJS

Congrats!

If you're looking for something to do and help out with.. I recommend exploring the NTS: National Traffic System. See if there is a local net that meets in your area..

Some Info

NTS

I have been a relay station with the NTS for about a year and it's a great service! If you get into it enough you can even get your name and call in the QST!

Also maybe consider ARES or RACES and SKYWARN! Lots more to see.

Congrats again! You'll have that general in no time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.