RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 6:51 AM

Default Taking a Ham class

So in April I am in a Ham class.

Do they teach you everything you need to know? I know nothing of the stuff already. So I hope I am able to do everything and pass correctly.

The class is in about 20 days.
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2013, 7:42 AM

Everything you need to know? I'd rather say that they will teach you what you need to know to pass the test the class is covering.
It wouldn't be a bad thing to take a look at the practice tests on the internet too. It would give you some idea of what to expect, sort of a head start. While the tests aren't all that hard, if you don't know anything about electronics of course it's going to be 'new' to you and will be a bit hard to 'take in' (a little bit 'hard' sort of).
The rules and regulations apply immediately. The electronics parts will apply as you begin to have problems, and the operating practices (how people behave) are varied depending on what you are doing. That may not make a lot of sense now, but it will as you start doing things on the air. The same sort of thing happens when you learn anything new, ain't no biggy.
Good luck and have fun!
- 'Doc
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Doc, I just took my test on Wednesday after a 5 week course, go to QRZ.com and register, you can take practice tests there. The questions on the practice tests are the exact word for word questions which will be on the real test. All the questions come from a 370 question pool of which they will ask 35. So basically its a matter of a lot of study and memorization. The material itself isnt particullary hard, the instructor goes through the questions and explains why the correct answer is what it is. I only got one wrong, I think the most wrong for anyone was 3 maybe 4.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you have to remember the answers then you have not learned a thing.
This message is hidden because n9mxq is on your ignore list.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneg View Post

Do they teach you everything you need to know? I know nothing of the stuff already. So I hope I am able to do everything and pass correctly.

The class is in about 20 days.
I'm sure they will teach you at least everything you need to know to pass the exam but unfortunately the exam doesn't cover a lot of basic principles and stumbling blocks you may encounter if you come without any prior radio experience.

For example, many people who pass the exam nowadays don't have the foggiest idea why their low power portable radio that's being used inside a car with a rubber duckie antenna 50 miles away from the repeater is not able to put a usable signal into the repeater.

They also may not understand that enabling roger beeps on their Baofeng is not necessary.

And even though it is specifically asked on the exam, many of them don't seem to grasp the concept of unidentified transmissions and why kerchunking a repeater "just to see if I can get into it " is against the rules.

I'd recommend getting up with a club or "elmer" afterwards, to learn the ropes.
You'll probably be getting invitations in the mail to join some local clubs.
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2013, 2:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3cfc View Post
If you have to remember the answers then you have not learned a thing.
I wasn't particularly impressed by the way the club members "taught" the material but its their program and I did what they said. They basically taught us how to pass the test and the rest they said would come through training.
Old 03-29-2013, 3:20 PM

Thanks ill check out that website. I looked at some questions and it was a picture asked."what is this in the picture?" And I had no idea. Does that website have like a study guide?
Old 04-05-2013, 7:25 AM

So do local ham clubs have classes to help teach you to get your License ? Iam not talking about Testing but a class room course
Old 04-05-2013, 7:54 AM

freqs,
Some do and some don't, you'll just have to ask when you find one.
- 'Doc
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2013, 7:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by freqs View Post
So do local ham clubs have classes to help teach you to get your License ? Iam not talking about Testing but a class room course
Some local clubs do, others do not. If you are interested in such a class, look online for the local Amateur Radio club in your area and ask them. Most clubs always welcome visitors, so even if you're not licensed you should be able to go to a club meeting and talk face-to-face with the local hams. If there's not a local club in your area, or they don't provide classes, you can pick up a study guide from ARRL, W5YI, or most any ham radio store online such as HRO or Gigaparts.
Old 04-12-2013, 1:13 AM

tech license pretty simple, its the general that has stumped me for years, shame on me ,,,,,,, I feel like the oldest tech in ham radio