RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Getting Your License / New Operators

Getting Your License / New Operators New to amateur radio and interested in getting your license? This is the forum for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 11:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question TECH BOOK

I have a 13 year old grandson who is interested in getting into Ham radio. My question is: What do u suggest is the best instruction manual for him.

You input would be appreciated! ;-)

73'
Old 06-20-2014, 12:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Good deal on your grandson wanting to get into the hobby! I was his age when I got licensed back in the 1990s.

This is the book I used: Technician Class 2010-2014: Gordon West, WB6NOA, Pete Trotter, KB9SMG: 9780945053620: Amazon.com: Books It gives the questions and answers, plus a good description of why the answer is correct. At age 14 I was able to pass my Tech license, so I imagine if your grandson has the interest in the hobby the book should be written at a level he can understand.

Good luck to him!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:12 PM

I wouldf suggest the Gordon West Tech study guide. Plain languaghe, common sense approach that is easily understood. So you help him with the math - its a good intro to simple algebra. It will be fun for bothy of you.
Other data that nobody cares about.
Old 06-20-2014, 1:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have read through both the Gordon West, and ARRL. And have taught from the ARRL (May try Gordo's for the next class) Just make sure the book you get is for the new question pool effective July 1.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB4CS View Post
Good deal on your grandson wanting to get into the hobby! I was his age when I got licensed back in the 1990s.

This is the book I used: Technician Class 2010-2014: Gordon West, WB6NOA, Pete Trotter, KB9SMG: 9780945053620: Amazon.com: Books It gives the questions and answers, plus a good description of why the answer is correct. At age 14 I was able to pass my Tech license, so I imagine if your grandson has the interest in the hobby the book should be written at a level he can understand.

Good luck to him!
Look at the dates. That one is out dated for any test after June 30, 2014. Our question pool has changed starting July 1, 2014. This one will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Technician-201...lass+2014-2018

Last edited by milkman21218; 06-22-2014 at 11:34 PM..
Sponsored links