Passed Extra!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC2OY

I'm very excited to see what new call sign they are going to assign me? I figured now that I got extra might as well get a smaller call so I can get amateur license plates for my car😀

teufler

Congrats, nicest thing is in hf, you don't have to remember the license band widths. You will geat teased that you can now wear , "I'm a nocode extra" badge. Some of the clubs, this will get you head of the line benefits. My club used to tave two sides in the meeting room. From the speaker, novices and techs sat on the speakers left, while the code people sat on the right, with extras in front, then advanced and general to the rear. It was a big moment when you were allowed to sit at the head table. We had over 100 in the club in the 70's and we still have alittle over 100 in the club. With the FCC relaxing rules, we have relaxed too, you can sit where ever you want.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you checked the box named "CHANGE my station call sign systematically" when you tested for the Extra class license, you will get a Group A (1x2, 2x1, 2x2 starting with A) callsign. Since all of the 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns have been issued through the sequential or vanity callsign systems, you'll get a 2x2 starting with A. The last Group A callsign issued in 2-land was AC2OX on 10-22-2014, so you'll get something after that.

If you did not check the box named "CHANGE my station call sign systematically", you'll keep your current callsign. The only way to change it would be to file another Form 605 with the "CHANGE my station call sign systematically" box checked or apply for a vanity callsign.

AC2OY

I clicked change it. May have to do the vanity thing I was hoping I could get a 1x2 or a four character call like K2FZ or something to that nature? I would one day love to learn code,become a VE to help the guys out in my club...ect and eventually get a radio that I can finally explore DX or the HF bands. But for now I'll get on the air using my HT and still have fun.

K7MEM

I clicked change it. May have to do the vanity thing I was hoping I could get a 1x2 or a four character call like K2FZ or something to that nature? I would one day love to learn code,become a VE to help the guys out in my club...ect and eventually get a radio that I can finally explore DX or the HF bands. But for now I'll get on the air using my HT and still have fun.

Congratulations!

Before you get your hopes up on a nifty call sign, you might want to go to AE7Q's Amateur Radio Database Query Tools . There you can find out what call signs are available. Since the Morse Code requirements were dropped there has been a big run on upgrades and call signs.

1x2 and 2x1 are the most difficult to get. Ones that do come available are scooped up immediately. There are a lot of hams watching the list of expired licenses, waiting for them to come available. When they come up there will be dozens of applicants for the same call. The first man wins.

You might want to think about 2x2 or 1x3 call signs. I upgraded to Extra in 1999 and opted for a vanity 1x3 (my initials), even though there were lots of 1x2 and 2x1 calls available at the time. If you are planning on learning Morse Code you may want to consider that in your call selection. So far, no one has ever got my call wrong on CW.

KC0KM

I would have to agree with K7MEM, group A (1x2 and 2X1) are very hard to come by, if not next to impossible. However, a group B (2x2) and group C (1x3) are easier to get. When I wanted my vanity call I chose this one, which is my hometown (Kansas City) and my initials. But you might want and see what you get, you might like it.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Group A includes 2x2 starting with A. That's the group that the FCC issues to new Extras as part of the sequential callsign system. Group B is 2x2 starting with K, N, or W. When the FCC was still issuing Advanced licenses, they issued Group B callsigns to them.

I took me three tries to get a 1x2. The first one I applied for had 6 other applications. The second one had 5 other applications. The third one had 2 other applications. If you are persistent, you can get a 1x2 or 2x1.

K7MEM

Wow I did check that website out and noticed now many 1x2 or 2x1 were up for grabs. Thank you gentlemen!!

I am not sure I understand that post. What you should have noticed is that there are not very many 1x2 or 2x1 calls available. A better site might be RadioQTH - Available Calls . You can do a search and see what call signs are available or are coming available.

For example, 1x2 calls starting with "K2" shows that there is only one coming available in 30 days. The rest have longer waits and, as W9BU pointed out, there is a lot of competition.

Good luck!

AK9R

Super Moderator
I think the AE7Q.com site gives you a lot of useful information about when certain 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns will become available. I also like the data he has on applications and predictions.

I miss the old N4MC site. It was the "go-to" site for vanity callsign info and predictions. AE7Q.com is close and actually better in some ways.

Last edited:

KG4NEL

Congrats on Extra! Now, the only worrying about band edges you'll do is during a contest when you hear all the DX stations calling outside the US band :p

Every now and then I think about a vanity...

Hmm...

AC2OY

Thanks guys I went on the one website and noticed that not many calls are avalible that I like. I will wait and see what I get then go back on the website or call them up and get one to my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.