Failed my Technician Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

subwoof

Premium Subscriber
I have been studying pretty much everyday, super engaged. When i dont know the answer i will envelope myself in the subject whether it be through youtube, or independent studies. I have been studying for 3 months almost on hamstudy.org. When i went to take the test i saw that the questions seem to be much different then the questions i remember from the pool of 400. Im just trying to get my license to start on a portable device so i can get my hands on and learn a bit. But that seems like its out of the question. And to be honest failing was so disheartening im thinking, i just might stow this hobby. Well now i know why the 2m repeaters and 1.25 band traffic is dead. :( I have studied more into radio theory and solid state physics, then i did with some of my college exams. I cant honestly say that im going to go and retake the test. I just might sell my baofeng uv-5r, and pick up something more appealing and just let my hopes for this hobby die off. Im really discouraged at this point.

15plus1

If you are giving up that easily, then maybe ham radio isn't really for you.
But I would say study a little more, and re-take the test. It really isn't rocket science.. Was the question pool you were using to study up to date ?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Are you trolling, OP? If not, dust yourself off and try again. The hobby is worth the effort.

subwoof

Premium Subscriber
If you are giving up that easily, then maybe ham radio isn't really for you.
But I would say study a little more, and re-take the test. It really isn't rocket science.. Was the question pool you were using to study up to date ?

Yes thats what hamstudy says...

K7MEM

I have studied more into radio theory and solid state physics, then i did with some of my college exams.

You may be studying the wrong things, and getting a little to involved in some areas. I don't recall a whole lot of radio theory and solid state physics questions. Even the General, Advanced, and Extra tests were not that in depth. For the Technician test, I mostly remember a lot of rules and regulation questions.

What scores did you get on the "hamstudy.org" sample tests?

"hamstudy.org" can keep track of your tests so you can see your progress. I used the sample tests on "QRZ.com" when I was getting ready for the ham tests, but that was a long time ago. The "QRZ.com" tests shouldn't be any different than "hamstudy.org" because they work out of the same question pool. When I was getting a consistent 90 percent on the sample tests, I was ready to go.

Remember, the tests are only to get you started. The real learning comes after you get your license.

subwoof

Premium Subscriber
You may be studying the wrong things, and getting a little to involved in some areas. I don't recall a whole lot of radio theory and solid state physics questions. Even the General, Advanced, and Extra tests were not that in depth. For the Technician test, I mostly remember a lot of rules and regulation questions.

"hamstudy.org" can keep track of your tests so you can see your progress. I used the sample tests on "QRZ.com" when I was getting ready for the ham tests, but that was a long time ago. The "QRZ.com" tests shouldn't be any different than "hamstudy.org" because they work out of the same question pool. When I was getting a consistent 90 percent on the sample tests, I was ready to go.

Remember, the tests are only to get you started. The real learning comes after you get your license.

im always a question or 2 away from failing. Im not satisfied with that.

subwoof

Premium Subscriber

I didnt take the test because they never give the answer after each question answered. What i did was use the flash cards and tallied the questions i get right and the questions i get wrong. And i seem to be passing with 1 or 2 questions. By the skin of my teeth.

dbord

Premium Subscriber
If your using a paper study guide the first thing you do is black out all the wrong answers then the only answer you know is the correct one. There is no reason at all to see the wrong answers. I have suggested this for years and everybody who has done it passed....

mancow

Database Admin
If your using a paper study guide the first thing you do is black out all the wrong answers then the only answer you know is the correct one. There is no reason at all to see the wrong answers. I have suggested this for years and everybody who has done it passed....

This is the way to go.

15plus1

Agreed !!

n5ims

When i went to take the test i saw that the questions seem to be much different then the questions i remember from the pool of 400.

One thing to remember is that they changed the question pool in mid-2014 so if you used older study guides they wouldn't match those on your test. While the material is basically the same the questions would be different from what you studied. You can get the current questions and answers from the link below.

Question Pools

teufler

SUBWOOF, if you have detected it yet, RR has all kinds of support for you, All of the hams had, and still have on aspects of the hobby. No matter what we think we know, somewbody know more and if you think you are stupid, believe me there have been others who were worse, than you think you are. . With QRZ.com, the practice tests are current, they come from the test pool, they are word for word what you see on a regular FCC test. You will memorize the questions. Probably won't learn a thing but memorizing you will paas the test. I have "Elmered" hams on their Extyra exam and one never read the book, just took practice exams. Then took the fcc tests for extra 10 times before he passed. He would pay for a test, take it and fail. Now he is an extra, so keep it up, the light at the end of the tunnel is not the train coming down the tracks at you.

K7MEM

I didnt take the test because they never give the answer after each question answered. What i did was use the flash cards and tallied the questions i get right and the questions i get wrong. And i seem to be passing with 1 or 2 questions. By the skin of my teeth.

When you are initially getting into Amateur Radio the tests can be very stressful. Probably the hardest test I ever took was for my Novice license in 1965. I had a written test, with no idea what the questions were and a 5 WPM send/receive test. I was petrified, but I did pass. I actually passed the Novice test twice, but that's another story. However, things have changed now. There is no Morse code testing and you know in advance what all the possible questions are.

I just went to QRZ.com and took the Technician test. I scored a 91.43%. I was surprised that I passed because the question pool has changed quite a bit since I took the tests. But maybe it's really true that your real learning happens once you pass the tests. On QRZ.com, if you select a wrong answer during the test, the test does not proceed. It marks that question as incorrect and waits for you to select the correct answer. At the end of the test they provide you with links to the categories you might want to look at a little closer. This helps by aiming you at the areas where you are in need of study.

The flash cards are great, but that isn't how the test is given. You need to study for the test. I know that sounds dumb but what it means is, you need to prepare for the situation your going to be in. No one is going to be tallying flash cards at the exam sessions so take the sample tests.

One thing to remember is that they changed the question pool in mid-2014 so if you used older study guides they wouldn't match those on your test. While the material is basically the same the questions would be different from what you studied. You can get the current questions and answers from the link below.

That is correct. On QRZ.com they let you choose between the new question pool (2014) or the old question pool. I'm not sure why they keep the old one around.

SCPD

QRT
You know not everyone aces tests the first or second time. Just study dig in more and keep at it. I've seen many in tests give up because the first time they didn't pass. They have the mindset and knowledge just couldn't pass a test. Don't give up.

KE5MC

subwoof,

Stick with it!

As a VE, two issues I see from time to time. Students leave a question to answer later and forget to go back to it.

They read question #5 and mark the answer on #6. Usually more than just a few wrong in that case.

Mattkuhar

Stick with it!!! i got my tech license last month after studying on QRZ.com for about 1-2 weeks. tech was easy (for me anyway) i highly recommend the QRZ practice tests, i was only 6 away from my general WITHOUT studying for it. just a little more studying and you should nail it.

KC1CQO

AC2OY

Read the ARRL questions in the back and subscribe to ham test online. That's how I passed all three exams. If I passed so will you!! I have a zero background in electronics everyday I try to learn more and more.

subwoof

Premium Subscriber

Hey brother, do they offer free paper study guides or is this something i can order? I like the sound of your approach.

subwoof

Premium Subscriber
Nice thanks a bunch for the ideas and suggestions. I got my mind right today, and am going to keep studying. You guys are awesome and full of positivity, kinda helped picked me up after feeling discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.