Greetings! (new Ham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9APX

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to post a greeting to everyone - this is my first evening posting and reading here on the forum.

My name is John and I live in Panorama City, CA, which is just over the hill from Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley. I received my Tech license in October, and have been having a lot of fun on VHF/UHF.

My home station radio is a Yaesu FT-7800R, which is an excellent radio. In fact, I liked it so much that I installed one in my car, too. The home station antenna is a Diamond X-50A, and the mobile antenna is a NMO-mount Comet SBB14 on a heavy-duty magnet mount. Soon, though, I'm getting a Yaesu FT-857D for the home station, and have decided on a Tak-Tenna 40 for HF operation (once I take the General test sometime next month). I was going to keep the FT-7800R alongside an FT-450D I was going to buy, but recently decided I want to try 2m SSB, so the FT-857D is the natural choice for me. Since the 857D is limited to 20W on UHF, I'll keep the 7800R around for UHF work.

Anyhow.....this forum looks like it's loaded with great info, so I'll be spending some time reading here.

John
W9APX

KC0KM

Welcome to the hobby, and congrats on getting your ticket. Come next June will be the ARRL Field Day, a great place to get HF experience under the watchful eye of an Elmer. You might be (if not already) encouraged to get your General or even later your Extra license.

milkman21218

Welcome to the Amateur radio world. I also run 2 FT-7800's and a FT-857D along with a Icom 706M2G. Which I feel are excellent choices. I want to wish you luck for taking your General next month. Maybe I'll catch you on the air.

Israel
W1ASA

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the hobby John. Strive to get the general then the extra. Nice choice of rigs. My base radio is a Kenwood 590S and it's back up is a Kenwood 480HX. UHF/VHF is a Kenwood V71A, both in the truck and as my base. The diamond antenna is great. I use the X-200 at about 30 feet. It does very well here on the gulf coast.

dmaria

Congrats to both of you, and keep up the studies. It's a lifetime of learning.

SCPD

QRT
Welcome

Hello everyone;

Just took and passed my Technician and General tests this evening. I'm told my call sign should be posted in about a week. Congrats to all the rest of the new hams!

Welcome to the hobby.
I believe there's a ham club in Somerset.
Let me know your call, I'll give you a shout in October.
We come your way every year for a reunion in Winfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.