New to ham/forum Old CBer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh380

Hello all,

I've been into communications for years. The first radio I ever bought was some junk radio shack handheld cb radio. I bought it thinking I could listen to the cops. Needless to say I was disappointed to not hear them. But, I spent a lot of time listening and talking, skip shooting, owned my share of export radios and other devices of the like..had a great time. Then the internet came along and all of the regulars either went to ham radio, or became internet trolls. I've checked the local CB channels and pretty much the usual hash and trash..not worth my time or money.

Recently, I found the BF UV-5R Plus (nice little radio), and am really starting to get interested in ham radio. I've even downloaded some study guides to get my license. And having a technical background and a basic understanding of circuits, electricity etc., I feel like getting my tech should be a breeze.

Anyway..on to my question. I've got my radio programmed with a few stations I know of in my general area, mostly police, NOAA radio, and the like, and I've even gone so far as to attempt to locate licenses via the fcc website for some of the businesses I've worked just for listening s's and giggles, but I'm getting bored with the usual stuff. Listening to the police is fun for awhile, then it just gets boring or depressing, but in my immediate area, pretty much all public safety/utilities have migrated to 800Mhz trunked systems, so no listening for me.

All of the local links for my area have old data, most of which is no longer in use. Is there anyone that lives in Orange County, CA that could point me to some good listening aside from the info found here?

Most everything that I've programmed or found has been here on radio reference, so I've pretty much hit a wall here....

Numbers, 73's and all

Status
Not open for further replies.