Confused about practice tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofasurfer

I had a hard time finding a practice test and a downloadable licnese manual. Finally found them. Now, however, I am having trouble understanding how the test questions work. I found a test on eham.net but every time I reload the page I get a different set of questions. This makes no sense because I have read over and over that all you have to do is find a practice test and memorize the 35 answers (not my intention) and you will pass. Why do I keep getting a differant set of questions? Not sure, anymore, what I should study.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Try the tests on arrl exam page. I used it and did better.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I had a hard time finding a practice test and a downloadable licnese manual. Finally found them. Now, however, I am having trouble understanding how the test questions work. I found a test on eham.net but every time I reload the page I get a different set of questions. This makes no sense because I have read over and over that all you have to do is find a practice test and memorize the 35 answers (not my intention) and you will pass. Why do I keep getting a differant set of questions? Not sure, anymore, what I should study.

They get the 35 questions from a "pool" of 100(?) or so,

It's done this way to keep people from just memorizing the answers. ;)

And sometimes it's actually the same question, just worded differently or with different choices of wrong answers.

Study the theory/rules...not the test and you'll be fine.

spencerpolicedino

Premium Subscriber
More than 35 questions

The questions come from a pool of around 400 questions. When you take the test there will be only 35 questions. The best route to go would be buy either the ARRL license manual or others.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Arrl has it free on their site. They write the test so its the same questions. It gives you a ball park.idea if how the tests are written so theres no surprises. It will also tell you what you need to review if you have low performing scores.

KC0KM

As others have said, the test comprises of 35 questions out of a pool of 400 some odd questions. In the study guide there are ten (10) sections, with several (2-5) sub-sections, and several questions for each [sub-section] (T1A01 for instance is Tech, Sec 1, sub-section A, question 1). The practice tests (and the real test) will choose one question from each sub-section group, with a total of 35 qustions. In taking practice tests, I suggest that you do from different sites. Start out with QRZ or ARRL, but I would end with the EHam because I have found the EHam are closer to the "real" test (all of the questions listed on one page, and you do not find out if you passed until you grade it at the end.) All of the questions, and answers, will appear as they are printed. The main point is learn the material not the questions. I have some hints that will help you to study the areas you need study the most. Take a few practice tests a day, keep track of the areas you tend to miss. For instance, if you are getting Sections 1 and 2 correct most of the time, you know those sections. However, let's say you keep missing something in Section 6, sub-section A, and Section 7, sub-section B, you need to focus on those areas. (Pay attention to the question numbers, they will often look like this T1A01, T9A12, T5D10. Keep in mind that they ONLY appear like this on the PRACTICE tests, the actual test will not have this number.) When taking the [practice/real] tests, read each question -- and answers -- carefully. Pay close attention to the wording, most of the time, (but not always) the longest most detailed answer is correct. Pay close attention to "all the above" as well, most of the time is it right (but not again not always). Then, go back and double check your answers, before you have it graded (you just might find a mistake, but if all else fails go with your gut answer).

As others have said, study the material, and do not try and memorize the answers, and good luck on your test.

K7MEM

sofasurfer,

Its a matter of opinion whether one practice test site is better than another. They pretty much do the same thing. When I decided to upgrade (1999), I used the tests on QRZ.com. I liked the fact that they tracked your tests, so that you could see your progress. I would guess that they all do that now.

At the time, my main concern was not the written tests. I was a design engineer for many years by then, so most of the test material was not an issue. My main concern was the code test. For the Tech and General written tests, I would take a sample test once a week. By the time I had my Morse code up to speed, I was scoring 90 percent or better on the written tests. When I finally went for the test, I walked in a Novice and walked out a General.

For the Advanced and Extra I just read the entire question pool, a few times. Much like the other levels, I didn't find the material difficult. Again, that was while I was getting my Morse code speed up to par. When I thought my code was good, I went for the tests. Similar to the previous testing, I walked in a General and walked out a Extra.

So when you take your practice tests for Tech, try the General and Extra practice tests. You might be surprised at how much material you already know. It is quite common these days to new hams to walk in with nothing and walk out with an Extra class license.

Martin - K7MEM

KC0KM

So when you take your practice tests for Tech, try the General and Extra practice tests. You might be surprised at how much material you already know. It is quite common these days to new hams to walk in with nothing and walk out with an Extra class license.
Martin - K7MEM

Good point, whenever we give a test, and they pass it, we always offer them to take the next one. One of our guys is very persistent in getting them to take the next test, almost all of them do. A few have passed both the Tech and General in one sitting. Some even come very close to passing. It is advised to at least look the General test, as you might pass it.

k6cpo

The three current question pools are as follows:

• Technician: 35 question exam, 426 question pool
  • General: 35 question exam, 456 question pool (Note: This pool expires June 30, 2015 and will be replaced by another pool)
  • Extra: 50 question exam, 702 question pool.

wtp

QRZ also

i took their tests once or twice a week for about a month and passed the first time
but the real knowledge was from 3 years in an electronics class in high school, most of it came right back.
good luck.

milkman21218

I've been a VE for 6 years. And I've seen both young and old take the test. The youngest being 6 years old pass the Technician test. Youngest Extra 9 years old. I have a friend who's blind and in 11 months he passed all 3 test and getting his Extra license. We had to read his test to him. And I feel if you really want it you can do it. You don't have to take Code anymore. And the question pool have less question than in the pass. Tech use too have like 100 more then now. Extra use too have like 880 questions. So if you don't pass why not? Many people pass both the Technician & General! I've even seen people pass all 3 at 1 time. It's all about how bad do you want it!

Try this practice test. Very easy!
https://hamstudy.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.