Now what.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgyver74

Ok so I have been wanting to get into Amateur radio for years, when I was young I tried to study for the test but sadly Morse Code and I were never meant to be close friends :(

So this weekend after YEARS of wanting to do this, I finally took and passed the technicians license test. I was ecstatic, I immediately came home and started searching for what to do,, I figure I could search for my first setup while I wait for my callsign to appear in the FCC database.

The problem I am seeing is that there does not seem to be a good source for info for beginners, there is a wealth of info out there for experienced HAM's, and a lot of things that seem to say "go find a club" which I am in the process of doing, but nothing that says "Hey you got your license, start here"

Just wondering what I should be doing next,

Thanks in advance!!!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The challenge in answering a "Now what?" question coming from a newly-licensed amateur radio operator is determining what you want to do.

So, what do you want to do?

• Chat with friends? Local or distant?
  • Chase WAS (Worked All States)? Chase DX?
  • Participate in contests? HF or VHF/UHF?
  • Make contacts using data modes?
  • Make contacts using digital voice modes?
  • Volunteer at public service events?
  • Storm spotting?
  • Put up a repeater or digipeater?
  • Communicate through satellites?
  • Bounce signals off of the moon?
  • Build stuff?
  • Experiment with antennas?

The list could go on.

A lot of folks start out with a handheld radio for the VHF/UHF bands so they can talk to people on the local repeaters. Maybe they've met these folks at club meetings or local hamfests. Depending on your location and the repeater, you may need a simple antenna that will improve your signal compared to the "rubber duck" antenna that comes with the handheld.

Where you go beyond that is really up to you. And, what you decide to do will drive what equipment you buy. And, what equipment you buy will be determined by how much you care to spend on radio stuff.

Lots of folks, including the members of this forum will be glad to give you ideas and advice. But, we have to know where your interests lie in order to make that advice worthwhile.

mcgyver74

Thank you :)
That's a very good question... Honestly I hadn't even thought that far, but after reading this, I am thinking start with chatting with new people.... WAS would be interesting (Not sure what DX is) I figure voice and maybe some storm spotting sounds like fun......

I am looking for a good handheld to start, (I live in an apartment and cannot put up an antenna) and maybe eventually a mobile rig.....

Just a little overwhelming

The challenge in answering a "Now what?" question coming from a newly-licensed amateur radio operator is determining what you want to do.

So, what do you want to do?

• Chat with friends? Local or distant?
  • Chase WAS (Worked All States)? Chase DX?
  • Participate in contests? HF or VHF/UHF?
  • Make contacts using data modes?
  • Make contacts using digital voice modes?
  • Volunteer at public service events?
  • Storm spotting?
  • Put up a repeater or digipeater?
  • Communicate through satellites?
  • Bounce signals off of the moon?
  • Build stuff?
  • Experiment with antennas?

The list could go on.

bharvey2

There is plenty for you to do. I'd say that the field can seem overwhelming. Probably the first step might be to get either a handheld or portable 2M/70cm radio depending upon how close and how many repeaters are in your area. This site and Repeaterbook.com are both excellent resources for determining what is in your area. If you're in urban area, a handheld may be all you need to get you going. Rural areas might require a little more power and a better antenna. After I got my ticket I did a lot of listening and reading but if there is a local club by you, it may be worth a visit. Congratulations!

n5ims

Ok so I have been wanting to get into Amateur radio for years, when I was young I tried to study for the test but sadly Morse Code and I were never meant to be close friends :(

So this weekend after YEARS of wanting to do this, I finally took and passed the technicians license test. I was ecstatic, I immediately came home and started searching for what to do,, I figure I could search for my first setup while I wait for my callsign to appear in the FCC database.

The problem I am seeing is that there does not seem to be a good source for info for beginners, there is a wealth of info out there for experienced HAM's, and a lot of things that seem to say "go find a club" which I am in the process of doing, but nothing that says "Hey you got your license, start here"

Just wondering what I should be doing next,

Thanks in advance!!!

I would start by finding a local club, going to a meeting, and introducing yourself as a brand new ham. Quite likely you'll find an "Elmer" (a ham that will mentor you) to help you get started. Most clubs are happy to help new hams get started and will help teach you what you need to know.

Next (hopefully with the help of that "Elmer") you should select a radio to use. First and foremost, it should match your privileges. Although as a tech, you have HF access, it's a very small part of what a typical HF radio covers so that's probably not your best choice. One of those cheap dual-band handhelds may be a good first choice, but there are issues. First off, a handheld doesn't have the best coverage. On local nets it's very common to hear "Sorry, we you're not making it. Please increase power or improve your position.". This can make it difficult for a new ham to get started and make it so they get frustrated and give up. A mobile dual band VHF/UHF radio (with power supply for home use) will generally work much better and be a better first choice for a new Tech licensee.

Once you have your radio, set it up and then tune around the bands and listen to what's on the various channels. This will let you know how folks in your area communicate and make it easy for you to "fit in". Also it will help you find a channel where you may be a better "fit". For example, one repeater may be there for DX hounds (folks that are looking for distant stations) where they may look down on folks that are not reporting what foreign stations are on what HF frequency. Others may be a general chat group talking about things that you're interested in and can easily be part of that group.

You may also find one or more "nets" that are welcoming to new members. Be aware that often a "net" is a controlled environment where the controller asks for "check ins" at specific times (perhaps only for stations that qualify for that period, to avoid a rush of calls all at once, this may be a range of calls, folks in specific areas, or types of stations - low power stations for example) and request that the station checking in do so in a specific manner (e.g. "State your call phonetically, name, and location). Make sure you're qualified for the net in question though since some are general (somewhat like a club meeting), some are for specific purpose (such as traffic passing, etc.), while others are restricted (RACES nets where you must be a member to participate). Listening to should give you an idea if you're welcome or not. Also let them know you're new and a first time check-in will also let them know to guide you along.

mcgyver74

Thanks guys,
I am searching for a club that I can get to with my insane work schedule :( In the meantime I have ordered a cheap handheld on amazon, it does 2 meter and 70cm so I figure until I get my callsign I can at least listen in.

Hopefully this doesn't get too overwhelming :)

AC2OY

McGvyer,
First off congratulations on passing your technicians exam! Name is Michael here,I'm not too far in Belleville,there are many good clubs for you to join or visit in Jersey. I am a member of Nutley Amateur Radio Society. We meet every 2nd & 4th Wendesday @ the Nutley Red Cross building. I'm not sure what's near you but I'm sure you will find a club close to you that get you rolling! If you have any questions and I can help shoot me a PM or reply back here. Good Luck and again welcome to amateur radio and have fun. When you get that radio I have a list of UHF/VHF repeaters that you can program in and start your adventure.

AC2OY

Little research Mc, currently on ARRL's website there are 65 amateur radio clubs in New Jersey. There is a Hudson County club. If you want to check out the one that you think best fits you go on ARRL.COM and just search your zip code or New Jersey and you will find a club.

wcu02mpa

Find your interest

The most important thing you can do is find your interest. You can have ten HAM's in a room and not one of them liking the same facet of radio. I love 6 and 10M FM. I couldn't care less about 80M and below HF, but love 20M HF SSB. Some guys like 220 VHF (Not this guy) and others are into so many areas. Find what really drives you about radio and go for it. I will say; once you have been sitting in your vehicle and have worked Japan on 10M FM simplex (from North Carolina), nothing comes close. It has to be interesting to you or else you will forget about it.

Last edited:

mcgyver74

Thanks everyone :) Got my callsign today, tried to make some contacts but couldn't get the repeater to key (More to learn :) )

See ya on the air (I hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.